Steak tartare and beef carpaccio

SandwichShortOfAPicnic

Über Member
Local time
6:45 AM
[Mod.edit: this and following few posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

I wasn’t going to post my dinner this evening because I’m new and it’s something that can set the cat among the pigeons :happy: but you all seem perfectly pleasant peeps so..
01659096-CDE0-4A0B-BC34-31A0C7E3CE89.jpeg

I was quite excited to see tartare wagyu in the supermarket (the Spanish are distinctly unsqueamish when is comes to meat) so I had to have it.
Unfortunately good as it looks (if you like that sort of thing) I don’t think Wagyu is the right beef for tartare. The very high fat content gives is an almost cold lard taste even at room temp and it is just on the wrong side of too much. A less fatty steak does a better job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn’t going to post my dinner this evening because I’m new and it’s something that can set the cat among the pigeons :happy: but you all seem perfectly pleasant peeps so..

I was quite excited to see tartare wagyu in the supermarket (the Spanish are distinctly unsqueamish when is comes to meat) so I had to have it.
Unfortunately good as it looks (if you like that sort of thing) I don’t think Wagyu is the right beef for tartare. The very high fat content gives is an almost cold lard taste even at room temp and it is just on the wrong side of too much. A less fatty steak does a better job.

We don't bite here... even the "dogs." :laugh:

I've eaten raw meats before (Carpaccio), but never Tartare. I don't think I could do the raw egg on top, but the meat would be fine, as long as I know it came from a an impeccable source. I wouldn't use ground beef from the local supermarket. :sick:

BTW, I spent a wonderful week in Torremolinos many years ago. I did some day trips into Malaga, up to Sevilla and over to Tangiers from there. I've always had good food in Spain.

CD

We don't bite here... even the "dogs." :laugh:

I've eaten raw meats before (Carpaccio), but never Tartare. I don't think I could do the raw egg on top, but the meat would be fine, as long as I know it came from a an impeccable source. I wouldn't use ground beef from the local supermarket. :sick:

BTW, I spent a wonderful week in Torremolinos many years ago. I did some day trips into Malaga, up to Sevilla and over to Tangiers from there. I've always had good food in Spain.

CD
Unless I know and trust the butcher (which at the moment I don’t because my butchers closed down) or buy a very very large fresh piece and seared n sliced away the cooked parts to use just the middle I don’t make it at home.
Ground beef from a supermarket - nope thats asking for Food poisoning.

But in Spain produce is king and the supermarket would not sell anything that could land them in court/get them shut down so it‘s surprising to see they also sell tartare tuna and salmon prediced and ready to use to.

Glad you had a nice time in Spain they have the sunshine that makes for some really excellent produce. I would live here for the tomatoes alone :laugh:

I got to go to the supermarket tomorrow I’ll see if I can get a pick of the tomato aisle, it‘s lovely.

Unless I know and trust the butcher (which at the moment I don’t because my butchers closed down) or buy a very very large fresh piece and seared n sliced away the cooked parts to use just the middle I don’t make it at home.
Ground beef from a supermarket - nope thats asking for Food poisoning.

But in Spain produce is king and the supermarket would not sell anything that could land them in court/get them shut down so it‘s surprising to see they also sell tartare tuna and salmon prediced and ready to use to.

Glad you had a nice time in Spain they have the sunshine that makes for some really excellent produce. I would live here for the tomatoes alone :laugh:

I got to go to the supermarket tomorrow I’ll see if I can get a pick of the tomato aisle, it‘s lovely.

Here in Texas, we have red water bombs, not tomatoes. Well, unless you grow your own, which my sister does. Those are great. You have to really amend the soil to grow well here.

North Texas climate is more like Madrid or Salamanca. Hot and dry in the summer. The soil is different, though.

But, we do have really good beef in Texas. :okay:

CD

I'm not a fan of tartare, but love carpaccio. I think it's the chunkieness of the tartare versus the paper thin slices of beef. We make both at home, well 1 time for tartare, and will eat carpaccio at certain restaurants. Craig really likes beef and tuna tataki, which are quickly seared on outside and still raw on the inside. I have no problem making any of the above at home. Frankly, I prefer making them at home because any bacteria that get into them are "our" bacteria that we are used to having around.

I'm not a fan of tartare, but love carpaccio. I think it's the chunkieness of the tartare versus the paper thin slices of beef. We make both at home, well 1 time for tartare, and will eat carpaccio at certain restaurants. Craig really likes beef and tuna tataki, which are quickly seared on outside and still raw on the inside. I have no problem making any of the above at home. Frankly, I prefer making them at home because any bacteria that get into them are "our" bacteria that we are used to having around.
I think tartare is difficult to hit the spot with. It needs to be just the right amount of meat for your own palate, too little it’s not satisfying, too much and it can be quite nauseating.
I’ve had good restaurant versions and some terrible ones, so drowned in raw onion it over powers everything and done so well it’s heaven, funnily enough both of those in the same restaurant! But it’s definitely not a dish for everyone.

Red water bombs? Like large watery tomatoes? :(

What age do you generally slaughter your beef in Texas?
In the UK it’s around the 18 month mark and as that‘s what I‘m accustomed to I was surprised to find Sapnish meat often requires a lot more chewing.
To the extent I investigated, turns out they prefer the 2 year mark which has more flavour but you sacrifice some tenderness. A slow cooker was purchased fast!

Yes, the tomatoes in the stores here taste like water.

As for cattle, I had to look it up. Here is the USDA guidelines web page. Slaughter Cattle Grades and Standards | Agricultural Marketing Service

The grades mean a lot. Prime is the best, and is tender and juicy, with the best flavor. It also costs the most. Choice is a good compromise between price and quality. Select is the general base beef grade. Below that, it is good for ground beef for burgers or meat loaf -- and that's about all, IMO.

Here is a Prime NY Strip steak. Notice the intramuscular fat. That makes a tender, juicy steak -- as the saying goes, and fat is flavor!

PrimeWalmart.jpg

CD

Yes, the tomatoes in the stores here taste like water.

As for cattle, I had to look it up. Here is the USDA guidelines web page. Slaughter Cattle Grades and Standards | Agricultural Marketing Service

The grades mean a lot. Prime is the best, and is tender and juicy, with the best flavor. It also costs the most. Choice is a good compromise between price and quality. Select is the general base beef grade. Below that, it is good for ground beef for burgers or meat loaf -- and that's about all, IMO.

Here is a Prime NY Strip steak. Notice the intramuscular fat. That makes a tender, juicy steak -- as the saying goes, and fat is flavor!

View attachment 97745

CD
It‘s making my mouth water and thats not handy after 1am in the morning :laugh:

I always (used to) have a good laugh when I heard people (with the same accent as me) tartare steak in France.
9 out of 10 times, they expected to get steak tartare, which in the Netherlands is like a good quality hamburger, fried, and pink on the inside. Not a mound of raw meat, raw egg etc....
(disclaimer, it's been a while since that happened and I'm quite sure most people know by know)

I've eaten it, it's OK, but won't be my first choice on the menu.
I like carpaccio better, but it's still not my first choice

Believe it or not, from someone who´s diet is 90% vegetarian, I have eaten carpaccio - many times. Waaaay back in 1982, we returned to Europe and went to Venice for 5 days. We made the obligatory visit to Harry´s Bar, had a plateful of the original carpaccio, and downed a few Bellinis.
I don´t think I´ve ever eaten French tartare, but I might have had a taste of kibbeh nayeh - the Lebanese version.-

I like raw food.. and cooked food.. and.. all food :happy:
I went through a lovely tartare phase a while ago, acquired enough knowledge not to poison myself.. yet 😁

So long as whats being used is nice and fresh and kept in mind the harmful bacteria are on the exposed surfaces and treated it accordingly I never had a problem.

I think you have to be aware of not poking holes in it so you don‘t introduce outside bacteria to the inside ie don’t move it using forks etc
Plus avoiding meat or fish that has folds that can harbour bacteria and ensure its one solid piece it reduces the bacterial load enough.

My favourite was denaturing salmon. Homemade gravadlax is so good.
Nicer than smoked- runs for cover :laugh:

Last edited:
…but I might have had a taste of kibbeh nayeh - the Lebanese version.-
I love that I have had to look things up already. Last night I was awake til nearly 3am because I hadn’t heard of Okonomiyaki and got myself excited about the ingredients :hyper:
God I sound weird.
I’m going to have to save kibbeh nayeh for later or I’ll never make it to the supermarket!

Back
Top Bottom