Steak tartare and beef carpaccio

That looks alright. I've made tartare myself a couple of times by chopping up a decent lean fillet. I don't go mad for it and can't eat that much before the rawness of it gets to me - it's alright, but I prefer a cooked steak.

Homemade gravadlax is so good.

Agreed. Although a really good smoked salmon takes some beating. As I haven't posted any food photos of mine for so long (due to hopefully temporary health issues) I take the liberty of posting this rather off topic gravidlax I made a few years ago.

Recipe - Beetroot & Liquorice Cured Gravadlax

Beetroot & Liquorice Gravadlax.jpg

I like raw food.. and cooked food.. and.. all food :happy:
I went through a lovely tartare phase a while ago, acquired enough knowledge not to poison myself.. yet 😁

So long as whats being used is nice and fresh and kept in mind the harmful bacteria are on the exposed surfaces and treated it accordingly I never had a problem.

I think you have to be aware of not poking holes in it so you don‘t introduce outside bacteria to the inside ie don’t move it using forks etc
Plus avoiding meat or fish that has folds that can harbour bacteria and ensure its one solid piece it reduces the bacterial load enough.

My favourite was denaturing salmon. Homemade gravadlax is so good.
Nicer than smoked- runs for cover :laugh:
You don't have to run here. There's enough love amongst us that even if someone has different tastes than someone else it's fine. We might pick and poke a little at each other but in a playful way.

I do like carpaccio, but I find it quite bland most of the time. I much prefer steak tartare...its my go-to dish at many a French brasserie (with a nice crème brûlée for dessert if possible). I've never tried making either of them myself though.

I do like carpaccio, but I find it quite bland most of the time. I much prefer steak tartare...its my go-to dish at many a French brasserie (with a nice crème brûlée for dessert if possible). I've never tried making either of them myself though.
They served a sea salt and black pepper encrusted carpacccio at the reception of one of the many Italian-American weddings I've been to.

There's this raw meat dish in Ethiopia as well.
Just can't remember the name (google came to the rescue: gored gored)
I had it years ago. I think the people I was with wanted to scare me, but luckily I'm not that easily scared :) As long as they eat it as well, I figure it will be fine

There's this raw meat dish in Ethiopia as well.
Just can't remember the name (google came to the rescue: gored gored)
I had it years ago. I think the people I was with wanted to scare me, but luckily I'm not that easily scared :) As long as they eat it as well, I figure it will be fine

There is also an Ethiopian dish called Kifto which is raw minced beef marinated in spices (and anchovy paste, I believe) and clarified butter.

I make up small bits of carpaccio with trimmings from tenderloin..GF won't touch the stuff..It's been a while since I've had tar tar as she won't eat that either, so it's not worth doing up a little just for me..although, this tread has me wanting to make some this week..

Back
Top Bottom