Sticking to a grocery list versus compulsive buying

Yes, I take a list and I am very compulsive about this. I make a menu of meals that I want to eat for about 2 weeks, then I write each ingredient I need for each meal on the list. Then next to each ingredient I write the price and round up to the nearest dollar. I pretty much have all my local store prices memorized, so if something is usually priced at $4.50, I will write it on my list as $5. When I am done writing the prices next to everything, I add it up, include the 9.25% sales tax in my state, and write the total at the bottom.

This allows me to overestimate how much I will spend. If I get to the store and something is priced higher than what I estimated, then I know I have already added a little extra and it does not hurt my budget too much. If everything is priced as I estimated, then I know I can pick up a few extra treats that were not on the list and still be within my budget.

Yes, I take a list and I am very compulsive about this. I make a menu of meals that I want to eat for about 2 weeks, then I write each ingredient I need for each meal on the list. Then next to each ingredient I write the price and round up to the nearest dollar. I pretty much have all my local store prices memorized, so if something is usually priced at $4.50, I will write it on my list as $5. When I am done writing the prices next to everything, I add it up, include the 9.25% sales tax in my state, and write the total at the bottom.

This allows me to overestimate how much I will spend. If I get to the store and something is priced higher than what I estimated, then I know I have already added a little extra and it does not hurt my budget too much. If everything is priced as I estimated, then I know I can pick up a few extra treats that were not on the list and still be within my budget.

I'm impressed (yet again). I'm beginning to think you are a Stepford Wife. This is meant in the nicest possible way... :D

While making a list is good, there may be times when we forget to add certain items to the list, and then when we get to the grocery store, realize that we need those items. I must also admit that there are times when I would have a list, checking all the while as I shop, but when I arrive home, realize that I had still not bought an item which was written on the list. I don't know how or why that happens. Having a list makes shopping easier though. I can get through a lot quicker with the shopping than if I had to rely solely on my memory.

We right a list. It will contain what is on the blackboard which is what we have run out of during the week plus anything needed specifically for the planned meals during the week. The regular items sometimes make it onto the list, but mostly don't. It is much easier in our experience with a list. We don't over buy anywhere near as much and we will come home with what we need for our meals for the week ahead. It also works out much cheaper for us. Anything up to £20-30 cheaper per week IOE.

If you find yourself attracted to trees and thinking about biting the postman I would be careful :giggle:
However we usually buy the essentials [we shop weekly] then just see what's available to inspire - sometimes not very much but sometimes ok
Might be why she's missing today!

Might be why she's missing today!
Well I didn't get a chance to eat my IAMS dog breakfast as I was rushed to A & E with AF (fast irregular heart) at 6 AM on Monday. Had I eaten the IAMs I might have blamed it on that! Its not the first time of had this condition but haven't had it for a while. Anyway, back home now and facing a backlog of Forum posts, and this one is wildly off-topic!

A list every time otherwise we would forget things. Also we plan our meals and buy what we need, we only deviate if we cannot buy the main ingredient which is quite rare. We do occasionally go 'off list' but try not to.

Do you always make out a grocery list when you go shopping, knowing what you intend to buy and how much you intend to spend, and then you see an item which you had not planned to buy, but which ends up in your basket just out of compulsion? I know this happens to some if not most of us.

More often than not I tend to stick to the items which are on my grocery list, but there are times that I would see an item or items that I want to try which are not on the list, and if I think I have the extra cash, I decide to place it in my basket. I do not do this as often nowadays though. The prices of some items force me to stick to my list. I may even end up crossing off something from the list if I think I can do without it.
I always make a grocery list when going shopping as well, but it never works. I always end up putting more things in my basket that aren't on the list. I hate when I do this, but I keep doing it. I might see something new and decide to give it a try and in the basket it goes. I have also changed my mind about some things on my list and crossed them out but then added other things in its place. :):sun:

I never write out shopping lists, but usually stick fairly closely to what I planned to buy. The worst temptation is a good delicatessen. I used to work just round the corner from Valvona and Crolla in Edinburgh. It's a fantastic shop, with all kinds of things that are very difficult to resist and once inside, it's almost impossible not just to buy something, but buy quite a lot.

Back
Top Bottom