Stock help

jestix

Über Member
Local time
7:34 PM
help, my partner and I have a disagreement on the use of stock cubes. We were making a sauce from a recipe that required 60ml of stock. One of us(person A)was asked to make the stock for the recipe (by person B) and unfortunately we use cubes. Person A put 60ml of hot water into a jug and was just about cut a piece from a cube when person B puts a stop on it. Person B suggests that the recipe is asking for 60ml of water but a whole cube and that any recipe that asks for any amount of stock, it requires a whole cube. Where as person A says, no, a cube makes 450ml of stock, the recipe is asking for 60ml, therefore only a portion is needed. Who is right in this instance??? The more replies the better. Thank you.

Next time, make the stock cube as directed, then just use the amount you need and refrigerate the rest.
When you run out buy granules not cubes.

Please, please, please. Spare a moment for a reply, one of us needs convincing. Thanks.

On those stock cubes person A is right.
Unless you want extremely salty stock.

If I used a cube, I would make the stock up according to the instructions on the pack and use part of it, so A is right. However, for such a small amount I usually just add water as most stock cubes, granules or powders are far too salty for me. When I make my own stock, I never ever add salt.

I just made some chicken stock the other day, from the carcass of a roast chicken. It's so easy to do!

But I just strained the stock and put it into 2 16-ounce yogurt containers and put it in the freezer for use at a later time. I used about a spoonful of chicken base to enhance the taste, and it was not salty at all.

I figure that whatever I make with it, I can always add some salt later. As Emeril Lagasse always says; You can always add, but you can take it away!

I love making meat stocks when the opportunity presents itself!! It is known as kitchen treasures! :wink:

Last edited:
I am not sure that there is an absolute answer of this person is right and that person is wrong. Certainly, sometimes if I want a slightly richer stock I might use less water than is specified. But using, what is that? – barely more than an eighth – does sound a little extreme. There is this issue of the saturation point of the water – I confess I am not completely certain that it applies in this case, but it might. In other words, there may be a maximum amount of the stock cube that is able to dissolve in an eighth of the specified amount of water before it reaches saturation and can dissolve no more. The evidence would be a lot of undissolved sediment in the bottom when you poured it out.

But whatever the case about that it sounds like the kind of thing that is usually learned the hard way. Make it with only an eighth or so of the stock cube and see if the result is a bit wan. Make it with the whole stock cube and see if it is a bit overpowering. Doubtless each of you will form your own conclusions about the result but it doesn’t mean that either opinion is necessarily invalid.

My thoughts exactly. When anyone has a meal at my place, I always warn them there's no salt in the dish.

So do I. I say to them; "I'm a good cook, but I'm on a low sodium diet and I use very little salt when cooking, but if you like more salt in it, you are welcome to put some on your plate of food." To me, that is a kind gesture as to say put all you want on your plate. :wink:

Besides, as I said earlier, it is bad business to put too much salt in stock. I might forget that it's already salted enough and add even more!! WOW!!! :headshake:

Back
Top Bottom