Staff member
Local time
11:28 AM
Strawberry-Cheese Molded Salad
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients
1 cup boiling water
1 (3-oz) package strawberry gelatin
1/2 cup sweet red wine (can substitute fruit juice)
1/4 cup cold water
4-oz softened cream cheese
1/3 cup finely chopped nuts (I used pistachios)
2 cups halved strawberries (quarter larger ones)
1 TB sugar

Directions
Pour boiling water over gelatin and stir to dissolve. Once gelatin is completely dissolved, stir in the wine and cold water. Refrigerate until slightly thickened, about 2 hours.

Divide the cream cheese into 18 pieces (cut the block in half, then cut each half into thirds, then cut each third into thirds) and shape each piece into a small ball. Roll each ball in the chopped nuts to coat, then refrigerate until the gelatin mixture has thickened.

Sprinkle sugar over strawberries and set aside.

Prepare a 6-cup gelatin mold (or similarly-sized vessel) by lightly coating the inside with cooking spray. This will help tremendously with unmolding later.

Once the gelatin mixture has thickened, pour about a third of it into the mold and evenly distribute it. Arrange the cream cheese balls evenly over the gelatin layer, then gently spoon the strawberries over that. Finish by pouring the remainder of the gelatin mixture into the mold. Refrigerate at least four hours.

To unmold, allow the mold to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes, then place a plate over the bottom and invert. Mold should come out cleanly with a little jiggling to encourage it.

Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker’s Cookbook

The CookingBites recipe challenge: strawberries

Wait a minute, Tasty. Are you tellin' me you made a time machine... out of a DeLorean?

CD

Wait a minute, Tasty. Are you tellin' me you made a time machine... out of a DeLorean?

CD
The thing is…I think molded salads are considered retro in a lot of places, but around here where I live, they never went out of style. They’re still on the dessert tables at the church suppers and family cookouts, and even in the occasional diner’s fridge case.

Back
Top Bottom