The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
8:02 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_3474.jpeg

Some foods are almost too pretty to eat. Almost. While I wanted to eat the squash, I wanted to preserve the form as much as I could. I’m not sure how much of a difference wrapping it in foil made, but it came out looking unscathed.

I ground some chicken right before I made this…I always save the trimmings from chicken I prepare, and freeze it for later. I seasoned it like a spicy breakfast sausage.

Ingredients

Acorn squash
8 ounces chicken sausage
1/2 red onion
Bacon grease
Salt

Directions

1. Heat oven to 400°F (205°C). Poke 5-7 holes in the squash with a knife. Wrap squash with foil, and place in a high walled baking pan.

IMG_3470.jpeg

2. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Allow to cool, then cut in half. Scoop seeds out and set aside.

IMG_3471.jpeg

3. Scoop out the flesh of the acorn, but leave some of the wall of the squash.

IMG_3472.jpeg

4. Sauté onion in bacon grease until fragrant. Add chicken sausage and cook until browned. Stir in squash. Add more bacon grease if needed. Stir until fully cooked. Add salt if desired.

IMG_3473.jpeg

5. Scoop mixture into the squash halves. Serve as a side dish while hot.

6. Rinse seeds to remove squash strands. Sir, seeds, with a small amount of oil and a variety of seasonings, and bake in the oven, which should still be hot. You may want to cover the baking sheet with another sheet, because they will start popping like popcorn. Cook for five minutes, or until slightly browned.

IMG_3476.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom