Recipe Surf and Turf Aromatic Fried Rice with Orange, Ginger and Chilli

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:20 PM
This is a dish best made from leftover rice and chicken. For preference, the rice needs to be cooked in advance and left overnight. And if you have some leftover cooked chicken its a great way to use it too. But of course, you can cook this from scratch. Just allow a good period of cooling time for the rice so that it can dry out before you stir-fry.

Ingredients
(serves 2)
For the aromatic rice
150g basmati rice
1 inch piece of fresh turmeric root (or 3 tsp ground turmeric)
5 cardamom pods
I stick of cinnamon
1 tsp salt

For the stir fry
Cooked chicken, cut into chunks (approximately 1 large chicken breast or equivalent)
10 large raw shelled prawns
1 hot red chilli, chopped (I used Scotch Bonnet)
1 very large clove of garlic, thinly sliced
1 inch of fresh ginger root, peeled and julienne cut
2 tbsp of orange peel, without pith, julienne cut
1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
Oil for frying

For the topping
A thin omelette made from one large egg
Chopped coriander (cilantro)
Orange peel, julienne cut

Method
  • To make the aromatic yellow rice: place the basmati rice in a saucepan with double the volume of cold water and the salt.*see below, if you use a rice cooker
  • Add the whole cardamom pods, the cinnamon stick and then, using a cheese grater or coarse microplane, grate the turmeric root directly into the pan. If using ground turmeric, simply add to pan.
  • Bring the rice to the boil and simmer very gently, uncovered until the water is absorbed (approx. 15-20 minutes). Put on the saucepan lid and leave to sit, off the heat, to complete cooking (10 minutes). To use the aromatic yellow rice for this recipe, it is essential to cook beforehand and allow the rice to completely cool. Preferably overnight.
  • To make the stir-fry: heat the oil in a wok or non-stick frying pan and cook the garlic and julienned ginger for a few minutes.
  • Add the cold rice (cinnamon stick removed), chicken and chopped chilli and cook on a high heat, tossing or turning frequently to prevent sticking, Ensure the rice and chicken are heated through.
  • Add the prawns and the julienned orange peel, reserving some orange peel to garnish. Keep tossing or turning the mixture until the prawns turn pink.
  • Add the fish sauce and soy sauce and mix. Taste and add more of each if required.
  • Serve with strips of thin omelette, orange peel juliennes and coriander, to garnish.
*If you use a rice cooker, put all the ingredients listed for the aromatic rice (grate in the fresh turmeric, if using) into rice cooker. Cook according to your appliance instructions and allow rice to cool completely.

DSCF2951.jpg

Last edited:
How is the omelette cooked?
Here an omelette is eggs cooked very thin, stuff placed on half the eggs then the other half flipped on top of it.

This is just a simple thin omelette used as a topping. Its an Asian thing. You can see in the photo, I think? Just whip up an egg and pour into a non-stick pan so it forms a thin layer. Cook through. Done. Its just an Asian style garnish. Nothing fancy.

This is just a simple thin omelette used as a topping. Its an Asian thing. You can see in the photo, I think? Just whip up an egg and pour into a non-stick pan so it forms a thin layer. Cook through. Done. Its just an Asian style garnish. Nothing fancy.
Awesome. I have a new non-stick ceramic pan to test out.

Back
Top Bottom