Recipe Swedish Cheese and Mushroom Spelt Tart (Svamptarte)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:37 PM
In Sweden there is a great tradition of foraging thanks to the (‘Allemansrätt’), or Outdoor Access Rights as it is known, which gives you the right to roam the countryside freely. You have the right to walk, cycle, ride, ski and camp on any land with the exception of private gardens, near a dwelling house or land under cultivation. Anyone is allowed to forage for wild foods and flowers (excepting those that are protected by law), as long as nothing is disturbed or destroyed. The right covers all public parks and forests, and even includes privately-owned land—though it excludes farms and gardens. How wonderful is that!

Chanterelle mushrooms are one of the many foods which are foraged - they appear in early June in the same spot season after season and making Mushroom Tart or Pie is a traditional way to cook them. Spely pastry is also commonly used. For this tart, I managed to buy some chanterelles but also used other mushrooms - any mushrooms will work. I also managed to buy some Swedish Vasterbottensost cheese. Wow! I wasn't expecting such a strong and tangy flavour. It tastes like an aged Cheddar with a hint of Parmesan.

Working with the spelt shortcrust I found a little tricky as it is apt to crumble. But I got there in the end and the nutty taste was worth it.

IMGP1861.jpg

IMGP1864.jpg

Ingredients
Shortcrust pastry made with 50% spelt flour, 50% plain flour
1 large onion
2 tbsp oil
125g strong cheese, grated (traditionally Swedish Vasterbotten).
125 ml milk
2 eggs
250g assorted mushrooms (wild chanterelles are traditionally used)
25g butter
Dill to garnish

Method:

• Finely slice the onion and gently fry in the oil until caramelised. It always takes longer than you think. Set aside to cool.
  • Heat the oven to 180 C.
  • Line a greased 23 cm flan tin with the pastry and bake blind. (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/techniques/how-blind-bake-pastry).
  • Whilst the pastry is cooking, gently sauté the mushrooms in butter until they are tender and drain on kitchen paper.
  • Spread the onion over the base of the tart shell.
  • Add the cheese in a layer over the top of the onion.
  • Beat the eggs into the milk and pour over the top until it reaches just below the rim of the tart shell. You may not need it all.
  • Arrange the mushrooms on the top
  • Lower the oven heat to 170 C and bake for 15 to 20 mins or until set.
Serve warm (not hot) or at room temperature, scattered with fresh dill.

IMGP1862.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom