SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:28 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
So, this mustard spice challenge....
I just had to make some of my own for a change. I have loads of different mustards in and around the place, from yellow mustard seeds to black/brown mustard seeds, to wholegrain mustard, to Coleman's mustard powder to Swedish mustard and back to French mustard, but I haven't made my own previously. So this morning I did.

Ingredients
75g yellow mustard seeds
75g black mustard seeds
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp juniper berries (ground)
1/4 tsp allspice berries (ground)
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground bay leaf
1/2 tsp salt
200g soft brown sugar
250ml apple cider vinegar
3 large eggs (beaten)
75g honey (to taste).

Method
  1. Make up the ground spice mix using 50g yellow mustard seeds, 50g black/brown mustard seeds and all of the other spices. (I couldn't get hold of juniper berries on this occasion, so have omitted them) but all of the other ground spices were freshly made from whole berries/leaf where possible.
  2. Using the remaining 25g of yellow and 25g of brown/black mustard seeds, lightly grind them so that they are mostly whole, but definitely not ground!
  3. In a large glass bowl suitable for a water bath (so it fits a saucepan) mix both spice mixtures with the sugar and stir well. Now add the ACV to the mix
  4. Add water to the (well chosen) saucepan, ensuring that the water level does not touch the bottom of the glass bowl. Whisk in the beaten eggs and beat well.
  5. Add the honey slowly - I put mine in the microwave to warm up and make it ieasier to pour out of the jar but be careful if the jar is not glass and don't overheat the honey. Add a little at a time and taste test. Only add enough for your tastes.
  6. Heat to roughly 70C (160F) until the mixture starts to thicken. You need to whisk constantly to ensure that the eggs don't overcook hence the water not touching the glass bowl. (If you don't have a thermometer, then take it that when the mixture starts to thicken, you need to set the timer to 5 minutes.) Keep whisking the mixture for 5 minutes at the required temperature.
  7. Once the mixture is a lovely glossy dark brown and has thickened and cooked slowly, decant into sterilised jars (mine filled 4 * 175ml glass jars completely with nothing left over).
  8. Seal and allow to cool before moving to the fridge. Allow roughly 2-3 weeks before consuming and unopened it will last up to 2 months.
I`ll add the pictures in due course.

Reading up on mustard and making your own, you will find that this recipe will taste quite bitter initially (certainly mine did). This bitterness will pass after 2-3 days, so by the time the mustard is ready in a couple of weeks, it will have gone completely.

Last edited:
I'm fascinated by the use of eggs in this recipe. I've never come across eggs being used in making mustard. Its almost like making lemon curd. Very interesting.:)

Curiously a lot of the recipes I was looking at used eggs and given that my hens never stopped laying through winter (which they technically are meant to, that is stop laying) I have +100 eggs in the freezer and 3 dozen in the fridge, so thought I would use 3 up and see what happened. I promptly received 5 more yesterday off them again mind you!

Curiously a lot of the recipes I was looking at used eggs and given that my hens never stopped laying through winter (which they technically are meant to, that is stop laying) I have +100 eggs in the freezer and 3 dozen in the fridge, so thought I would use 3 up and see what happened. I promptly received 5 more yesterday off them again mind you!

It might be my ignorance. I haven't looked up many recipes. Certainly the mustard we can buy in jars doesn't seem to have eggs. But blimey! +100 eggs in the freezer? How do you store them all? I'm off topic...

blimey! +100 eggs in the freezer? How do you store them all? I'm off topic...
Lightly whisked so as not to incorporate any air, in 2s for the larger ones and 3s for the smaller ones. I have some (12) small storage containers that I freeze them in, then pop them out and store stacked in bags. defrost and use in quiches, scrambled eggs, anything needing 2 lightly beaten whole eggs really.

Wow...I love the complexity of your recipe! I did see that there are many ways to make a mustard, but generally the liquid components have the same volume as the solid components. Within that, there is a lot of freedom. Juniper berries, eh? Brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom