Recipe Sweetcorn, Potato and Ginger Soup (with vegan option)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:50 AM
Sweetcorn, Potato and Ginger Soup
I’m not a lover of sweetcorn but that doesn’t stop me cooking with it. This recipe has been taste-tested by two sweetcorn lovers and given the thumbs up. The sweetness of the corn is offset by salty smoky bacon, fragrant basil and hot sriracho sauce. For a vegan version swap crispy fried shallots for the bacon. Serves 2

IMGP1391.jpg

Photographed today in rather poor daylight!

Ingredients

150g fresh or frozen sweetcorn kernels
225 g floury potato (one medium baking potato)
2 heaped tsp powdered ginger (or 2 tbsp grated ginger)
1 tsp powdered turmeric
600ml (approx.) of water or milk/water mix
6 baby sweetcorn
6 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
One large bunch of fresh basil leaves only (approx. 50g)
200ml vegetable oil or olive oil.
Sriracho sauce (or your choice of chilli sauce)
Salt to taste

Method
  • Chop the potato into small chunks and boil for 20 mins in salted waster. Add the sweetcorn a few minutes before the end of the cooking.
  • Drain the potato and sweetcorn. Add 300 ml of water (or a mix of milk and water), the ginger and turmeric.
  • Blend the mixture (I used a stick blender). Add more water or water/milk mixture until you achieve the consistency you want. I used another 300ml of water. Add salt to taste.
  • To make the basil oil blanch the basil leaves in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain on kitchen paper, add to the oil and liquidise (I used a stick bender).*
  • Grill the bacon until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and break into pieces.
  • Cut 3 baby sweetcorn in half lengthwise and the remaining 3 into coins, crossways. Using a dry, ridged griddle pan, cook the corn pieces on each side until charred.
  • Add the charred baby sweetcorn pieces to the soup and heat through.
  • Pour the soup into bowls. Add the bacon and drizzle each bowl with the basil oil and sriracho sauce.
*Basil oil will keep for several weeks.

Looks great. You could even switch the bacon for either coconut bacon or probably marinated tofu strips (something like balsamic vinegar and tamari, or mirin and tamari with a touch of tabasco to add a little spiciness to the tofu before it is fried/browned.

I agree it looks great and I am fine with the bacon version. Maybe I shouldn't be as I still quietly think I should explore the vegan way. I've been talking and thinking about it for what feels like a long time now. Thumbs up for what seems to be winner even with me who myself isn't a big sweet corn person.

I agree it looks great and I am fine with the bacon version. Maybe I shouldn't be as I still quietly think I should explore the vegan way. I've been talking and thinking about it for what feels like a long time now. Thumbs up for what seems to be winner even with me who myself isn't a big sweet corn person.
I'm not a sweetcorn person at all. :laugh: My partner liked it though. Going vegan is quite drastic. Vegetarian first, I'd say and see how it goes.

Recently I learned that someone living across the street from me was vegan. I have to say I was shocked when I saw his weight loss. Truth be told it was a little scary but apparently he is in great health. I do believe the vegetarian would be the better course of action. I think I got to thinking vegan because a major health issue (which still has not be resolved in my mind) my son encountered had the primary doctor suggesting a vegan lifestyle. I was thinking he would need my support but it has been left hanging. I still quietly worry about his health and whenever the vegan discussion comes up I think we should explore it.

On subject - all the corn conversation has me thinking I should have a corn on the cob. I have not had any corn in ages not to mention my son always tells me how long it takes to digest.

Recently I learned that someone living across the street from me was vegan. I have to say I was shocked when I saw his weight loss. Truth be told it was a little scary but apparently he is in great health. I do believe the vegetarian would be the better course of action. I think I got to thinking vegan because a major health issue (which still has not be resolved in my mind) my son encountered had the primary doctor suggesting a vegan lifestyle. I was thinking he would need my support but it has been left hanging. I still quietly worry about his health and whenever the vegan discussion comes up I think we should explore it.

On subject - all the corn conversation has me thinking I should have a corn on the cob. I have not had any corn in ages not to mention my son always tells me how long it takes to digest.

Well do vegan if you want. And you probably will lose weight because vegan food is not very high in fat. Personally I find vegan difficult because it doesn't allow milk or eggs. I love eggs! And I also find cheese is a great addition to so many dishes and of course you can't have that either. Vegetarian allows both.

Back
Top Bottom