Teaching Kids about kitchen cleaning

sorrowscall

Veteran
Local time
8:44 PM
It's come to my attention that a lot of younger little chefs like to cook but hate to clean. Recently, I nearly sliced open the side of my hand because one of those darling kids decided to open a can and leave the very sharp lid laying around right next to a bunch of cups and so forth; exactly right behind them where nobody could see; because they didn't 'feel like picking it up'. Well, because of that I spent two days with a bleeding cut that kept seeping through. It wasn't big enough for a hospital or anything but it just wouldn't stop bleeding for two days; I had to press down with my hand to clot it despite the several band-aids that got soaked.

Basically, the lesson is to teach your kids or the little ones you watch about kitchen safety and why it's important to dispose of things instead of hiding them when in the kitchen and to always have help and supervision from an adult because doing it on their own can lead to small mishaps like this. After all, I'm fine, but would've happened if the kid who left the sharp can-lid had picked it up by accident instead? Kitchen safety, be thorough when teaching!

kitchen safety is such a broad statement ,its really hard to drum a lot of it into the kids ,so start with working the kids along side you and talk to them about the dangers ,i have said in a few threads i do a bit of work with kids and have done the cooking badge with a local scout and cub pack and i have to go through safety ,no knives in water ,no running in kitchen,correct dress,dangerous breakages ,burns and scolds prevention and treatment ,correct knives and use of ,dangers of the cutter on the cling film is a another over looked hazard ,a bit on food safety using a food probe and correct storage avoiding cross contamination,it is a mine field for us let alone a young kid,i also have to do risk assessments to allow under 18s in the kitchen at work,normally for work experience covers breaks ,dehydration and what they can't touch,good luck

It's a good thing to do, especially if they want, or like to cook & bake!
Get them into the habit of washing whatever they might use, as well as the cleanup after a meal is eaten. :wink:

Last edited:
Getting my two grandson's to clean up behind themselves is a battle, they use a cup and stick it in the sink, when the pile gets high no one wants to wash dishes. I tell them to wash the item when you use it then there are not any dishes in the sink but no one listens and then the fight starts. Now my method is if you want me to cook you will wash the dishes, I am on strike, no more cooking and cleaning up for everyone in the house.

Getting my two grandson's to clean up behind themselves is a battle, they use a cup and stick it in the sink, when the pile gets high no one wants to wash dishes. I tell them to wash the item when you use it then there are not any dishes in the sink but no one listens and then the fight starts. Now my method is if you want me to cook you will wash the dishes, I am on strike, no more cooking and cleaning up for everyone in the house.

Same here when two of my grand nephews were here last summer. The apt was really too small for them, since they are older, but I accommodated them the best that I could. I just wouldn't tolerate their sloppiness of leaving their dirty clothes, socks, underwear, shoes, used wash cloths & towels in the bathroom after taking a shower!! :mad: :stop:

Does that really work? I've asked why some parents don't do this and they say it's because their kids will just load up on snacks and bad stuff at school or a friends house. I've got an especially bad sibling whom will start throwing things around when he doesn't get his way too, he's the one I mentioned that likes to hide this stuff. I'm worried they'll try cooking for themselves if I or someone else doesn't cook for them and I don't trust at least two of them in the kitchen without supervision.

Being clean is something I stress to my kids daily. I mean how is it fair that they eat and cook and I am suppose to clean up after them. I mean if I were rich they would still know the importance of cleaning up behind themselves. Most of my six children are no longer babies and they are of the age where they should be taught how to live in the real world.

It's come to my attention that a lot of younger little chefs like to cook but hate to clean. Recently, I nearly sliced open the side of my hand because one of those darling kids decided to open a can and leave the very sharp lid laying around right next to a bunch of cups and so forth; exactly right behind them where nobody could see; because they didn't 'feel like picking it up'. Well, because of that I spent two days with a bleeding cut that kept seeping through. It wasn't big enough for a hospital or anything but it just wouldn't stop bleeding for two days; I had to press down with my hand to clot it despite the several band-aids that got soaked.

Basically, the lesson is to teach your kids or the little ones you watch about kitchen safety and why it's important to dispose of things instead of hiding them when in the kitchen and to always have help and supervision from an adult because doing it on their own can lead to small mishaps like this. After all, I'm fine, but would've happened if the kid who left the sharp can-lid had picked it up by accident instead? Kitchen safety, be thorough when teaching!

You can include my 11-year-old grand nephew in the bunch.

He loves to cook & bake, but the cleanup doesn't sit too well with him. I kindly explained to him that since he loves to cook, then there is no getting around the cleanup. It is a necessary thing.
He sometimes drags around and hesitates through the cleanup. On occasion, I've helped him with it, because he seems so reluctant to do it. He looks so pitiful at times when it comes to the part of cleaning up.

I end up feeling so sorry for him, and would help him with the cleanup. I also explained to him that if he cleans as he goes, that the he won't have as much of a mess to cleanup when the meal is over. Hopefully, he has mastered that by now. :wink: :headshake: :stop:

Last edited:
This is a very healthy thread. Kids should have enough knowledge about the kitchen even if there is no intention for them to help. We have 2 housemaids but my husband is the main cook. Kids know that and sometimes they lend a hand in chopping the ingredients or cleaning the mess after cooking. It's not their obligation but we teach them for their own sake. Now they are thankful for that kitchen training because now have their own kitchen to manage.

This is a very healthy thread. Kids should have enough knowledge about the kitchen even if there is no intention for them to help. We have 2 housemaids but my husband is the main cook. Kids know that and sometimes they lend a hand in chopping the ingredients or cleaning the mess after cooking. It's not their obligation but we teach them for their own sake. Now they are thankful for that kitchen training because now have their own kitchen to manage.

And I think that this is what my 11-year-old grand nephew is learning, since he like to cook & bake.
He now mans the kitchen at times on weekends, doing the cooking for his family. I'm pretty sure that by now, he keeps the kitchen clean as he goes along.
He was skipping things, not intentionally, but his mom would scold him, so I'd kindly remind him to make sure that everything on his chore list is clean, to help him avoid being scolded.
I really love & admire this kid for his serious aggression toward cooking, and I try to help him out if & when he needs help. :wink:

Last edited:
Since I began teaching my son to cook when he was about 4 I have been a stickler for safety in the kitchen. I have instilled in him the need to wash his hands before he begins to prepare food. He also knows the importance of proper hand washing after touching raw meat and even cracking eggs. He is learning to clean as he goes. I think he is learning this through watching me. He knows about having the handles of hot pots or pans turned in so they can't be bumped and that oil can splash out of a hot pan. He always makes sure he has turned off the stove after he is done cooking. I am confident that my son as he gets older and continues to cook will be safe in the kitchen.

I think I should pause and ask my 24 yr old kid to join me in the kitchen. I would have to insist we not prepare ramen which is all he ever seems excited to cook and the one thing only he buys. Or maybe I should ask when he's moving out? Anyway, I seriously agree that we should teach our little ones how to operate in the kitchen in every area; safety, hygiene, the works.

Back
Top Bottom