Temperatures, weights & measures in recipes

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
7:01 AM
Mod. Edit: This post has been copied to a new thread and edited to form a new topic. The following few posts have been moved into the new thread.

It always aggravates me when folks specify a temperature but don't include the scale, i.e. Fahrenheit, Celcius or even Kelvin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm often guilty of using terms like medium onion, or large green bell pepper.

It really should be listed in cups after being sliced, diced, or minced.

I'm often guilty of using terms like medium onion, or large green bell pepper.

As am I but I have recently started weighing ingredients on my new scales.

Yes, weighted measures are much better. There's the matter of density, but that is usually negligible unless ypu are baking.

Yes, weighted measures are much better. There's the matter of density, but that is usually negligible unless ypu are baking.

That would be weird...i don't own a kitchen scale.

All you need is a center fulcrum and an established set of weights., and you're good to go...

Just kidding. They're cheap. But weighted measures, for the most part, again -neglecting relative densities- are much more accurate.

kitchen scales s.jpg

Not that I weigh bananas.

Why do you weigh bananas?

Some weird new way to order a swimsuit online?

You might want to include a budgie.

Why do you weigh bananas?

Some weird new way to order a swimsuit online?

You might want to include a budgie.

A budgie is a bird...a parakeet but i have a feeling you weren't talking about birds.

Look up the term budgie smuggler... Lol.

I bust a gut the first time I heard that phrase.

Re the temperature point I don't know. I am certainly guilty! I only ever include Celsius in my recipes... :ohmy:

Because of my job it was always necessary to stipulate the scale when referencing a temperature (generally degC) even though -40 is the same on both scales. Therefore I have retained the habit.

Back
Top Bottom