The cook won't eat there, so why should I?

Local time
1:12 PM
So there is a food court where I work and recently a cook got fired from one of these restaurants because the boss observed she was not eating from her own workplace. If a cook isn't eating where she's hired to cook, it would send off some red flags don't you think? Truth of the matter is that word got around from her and others that the conditions are not that safe for eating. Would you eat somewhere where you observed the cook and most of the staff are not eating?

I was thinking that perhaps the cook was not eating from her own workplace because she wanted a taste of something different from what they were offering. However, I would definitely be suspicious if I observed that neither the cook nor the staff were eating from that workplace. So my answer is no, I would find somewhere else to eat.

The real truth is that she thinks the food preparation is below par and the general conditions are not great and she has put it out there. In the meantime word got back to the owners and she was asked to pack her bags. I have to say the food looks inviting but because of what has been put of there I don't see myself eating there.

Many fast food outlets require their staff not only to eat their breaks on the premises, they'll often be charged the same as a normal customer.
Be seen eating in works uniform can be a sackable offence. This can include picking up something to eat on the way home.

So there is a food court where I work and recently a cook got fired from one of these restaurants because the boss observed she was not eating from her own workplace. If a cook isn't eating where she's hired to cook, it would send off some red flags don't you think? Truth of the matter is that word got around from her and others that the conditions are not that safe for eating. Would you eat somewhere where you observed the cook and most of the staff are not eating?

Probably, the concern here was a conflict of interest.

Almost as if you went into a restaurant to eat, but you brought in food & drink from another place to eat it there.

Eateries frown up against that and will tell you to get out! :headshake::stop:

Last edited:
Wow, that's interesting that you could get fired for simply not eating your stores food. I worked in a fast food restaurant as a teenager, but it sure didn't mean that I wanted to eat there all the time - that's just from a practicality sense!

I don't think I would worry too much about whether or not the staff of an establishment ate the food there or not. As long as it was prepared well, it's not a concern of mine.

A lot of staff will leave the premises so they are not bothered on their break,and often eat different to what they are cooking all day,it's a person choice not a contract breaker,

A lot of staff will leave the premises so they are not bothered on their break,and often eat different to what they are cooking all day,it's a person choice not a contract breaker,
It's also seen as staff endorsment of the products being sold.

If I was working at a restaurant or a fast food outlet, I would hate to have to be committed to eating what is served there every day. That would get boring after a while. I believe that it is totally up to a person to decide what and where they want to eat on any given day. As the saying goes, 'Variety is the spice of life.'

You know it is interesting because I live next to a big fast food restaurant and I always see the employees going out for lunch, or just stepping into the sandwich bar next door. Yes, it ask the question about the food served here, if not even the workers want to eat it.

It's also seen as staff endorsment of the products being sold.
You've missed the point!
I get a break ,I don't want to be bothered by any one I walk to Costa for a coffee!
Or while working in a Michelin stared establishment staff will often eat as I would say kids food ,is that a endorsement of the food or economic sense ,lots of establishments do not give free food any more
Think what you want ! I do this for a living ,and do not consider it a reflection on food or hygiene,my staff where ever I am get fed ,but I choose to get out
If any one wants to check hygiene scores on the doors you can look on your local council website for a link,it's not law to display them,visits are very stringent,

You've missed the point!
I get a break ,I don't want to be bothered by any one I walk to Costa for a coffee!
Or while working in a Michelin stared establishment staff will often eat as I would say kids food ,is that a endorsement of the food or economic sense ,lots of establishments do not give free food any more
Think what you want ! I do this for a living ,and do not consider it a reflection on food or hygiene,my staff where ever I am get fed ,but I choose to get out
If any one wants to check hygiene scores on the doors you can look on your local council website for a link,it's not law to display them,visits are very stringent,
You have the choice over where you take your breaks.
The point I was making was that many fast food outlets require the employee to take their break at their place of work. Thereby endorsing the products sold. If the staff are eating there, then it must be good.
These "staff areas" are often up near the windows, on street level.

I never said free food either. I said pay the same as the customer. On the back of a recent receipt, is a money off voucher for one such fast food outlet. At the bottom of the already small print, in small print is "Subject to Conditions". One of those conditions is that staff cannot use them!

I've worked where subsidised canteens are on site, on closed and open sites, and those working there never had to queue or pay the same as people visiting for a day out.

You have the choice over where you take your breaks.
The point I was making was that many fast food outlets require the employee to take their break at their place of work. Thereby endorsing the products sold. If the staff are eating there, then it must be good.
These "staff areas" are often up near the windows, on street level.

I never said free food either. I said pay the same as the customer. On the back of a recent receipt, is a money off voucher for one such fast food outlet. At the bottom of the already small print, in small print is "Subject to Conditions". One of those conditions is that staff cannot use them!

I've worked where subsidised canteens are on site, on closed and open sites, and those working there never had to queue or pay the same as people visiting for a day out.
Funny I've been doing some recruitment for a couple of chains and the staff have a designated area away from the bustle of the floor in all cases ,can't say that I would want staff sat in the window,

Back
Top Bottom