The CookingBites recipe challenge: beer

I am just drinking beer and not thinking of anything.

(Actually I'm not yet; it's only 07:30 - but I shall be later)

I was just looking through a book I have on Tudor cooking, and found this appropriate description of "caudell," so I thought I'd include it here just for fun, not as a serious recipe, presented in both its original text and with modern spelling:

"Take faire tryed yolkes of eyren, and cast in a potte; and take good ale, or elles good wyn, a quantite, and set it ouer the fire; And whan hit is at boyling, take it fro the fire, and caste there-to saffron, salt, Sugur; and ceson hit vppe, and serue it forth hote."

That is to say,
put some egg yolks in a saucepan with beer or wine, saffron, salt, and sugar. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring all the time to stop the eggs from scrambling and when hot and smooth, serve in glasses and drink.

I was just looking through a book I have on Tudor cooking, and found this appropriate description of "caudell," so I thought I'd include it here just for fun, not as a serious recipe, presented in both its original text and with modern spelling:

"Take faire tryed yolkes of eyren, and cast in a potte; and take good ale, or elles good wyn, a quantite, and set it ouer the fire; And whan hit is at boyling, take it fro the fire, and caste there-to saffron, salt, Sugur; and ceson hit vppe, and serue it forth hote."

That is to say,
put some egg yolks in a saucepan with beer or wine, saffron, salt, and sugar. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring all the time to stop the eggs from scrambling and when hot and smooth, serve in glasses and drink.

Sounds excellent to me! Its a sort of egg-nog and an expensive one too, with saffron.

Beer Can Chicken....not 100% sure if this qualifies as a recipe as it really uses the beer in steam, rather than liquid form. Whatever, but the result is juicy and succulent chicken.

Recipe & Video - Beer Can Chicken

Beer Can Chicken....not 100% sure if this qualifies as a recipe as it really uses the beer in steam, rather than liquid form. Whatever, but the result is juicy and succulent chicken.

Here they use a beer bottle but filled with water (of course - don't "waste" beer).

1664518334827.png

View attachment 90848

Recipe & Video - Beer Can Chicken
You’ve reminded me I have a contraption for this:

I’ll bet I’ve had that 15 years or more. I’ve never used it, but I think I’m going to after watching your video.

BTW, that’s usually called beer butt chicken, drunken chicken, or (my personal favorite) drunk-azz chicken around here.

Here´s another little gem for lovers of sausages and beer:
Hungarian Lecsó with Lager

Easy to make, although if you can find a Hungarian paprika pepper, or a long pepper, instead of a bell pepper, the flavour will be more intense. There´s an Eastern European/Turkish store near where I´m living at the moment, so I was lucky enough to find real Hungarian lager. Also, if you can find Hungarian Debrecziner sausages, which are deliciously spicy, then the dish tastes even better.
Serve with rice, with potatoes, or like I did - in a hot dog bun!!

This photo took a lot of effort, as broccoli, I learned, does not float.
I remember Campbell’s getting in trouble years and years ago for solving that issue by putting marbles in the bowl before taking a pic. It forced all the veg to the top.

Back
Top Bottom