The CookingBites recipe challenge: sausage

I know I don't usually take part in the challenges, but we're big fans of sausages and love some of the more unusual flavours. However, I've just read through and I'm still none the wiser.....what exactly is "breakfast sausage"? Its not a phrase I'm familiar with and the entry on Wikipedia suggests its just what we'd a normal style sausage (or sausage meat).

So I guess all British style sausages are also excluded? Or is it only pork and sage ones that are excluded but other flavours are allowed? Here's an example of the kind of sausages you'd find in a good butchers.....which ones would be allowed/excluded?

I know I don't usually take part in the challenges, but we're big fans of sausages and love some of the more unusual flavours. However, I've just read through and I'm still none the wiser.....what exactly is "breakfast sausage"? Its not a phrase I'm familiar with and the entry on Wikipedia suggests its just what we'd a normal style sausage (or sausage meat).

So I guess all British style sausages are also excluded? Or is it only pork and sage ones that are excluded but other flavours are allowed? Here's an example of the kind of sausages you'd find in a good butchers.....which ones would be allowed/excluded?
I think the general conclusion was that if you don't know what they are (most Brits are in the same boat) it's not a problem because the concept of breakfast sausage is pretty American, hence it is only American breakfast sausage that's not allowed, so by conclusion all British sausages are fine.

What exactly do 'you' do with sausages outside of a hot dog, bangers and mash, sausage roll or toad-in-the-hole?

As you may have noticed, they don't really feature in my diet (even in vegan form), the same as burgers or similar. Other than toad-in-the-hole, I've never actually had or seen sausages used in things (outside of tinned spaghetti with those mini sausages, sausage rolls, bangers and mash or toad-in-the-hole.)

I cook Kielbasa occasionally (although I don't use Kielbasa sausage because we don't have it here). I use general pork sausages - the ones in this dish were Irish recipe.

kielbasa1.jpg

Basically it's potato, sausage, onion, chilli peppers, and basil.

Basically, I don't want there to be a biscuits and gravy debate again since that's been done at least a couple of times since I've been a member.

I’m kind of angry, because one of my planned entries calls for some Hungarian sausage, and there used to be a grocery store nearby that was based out of Cleveland, and they would have had it (FYI - Cleveland has a large Hungarian population).

I might be able to get it at the gourmet place, I probably can get it from the international market, and I’m about 99% sure I can get in the city, but I was hoping to get it at my usual place.

JAS_OH1 - if we were neighbors, I’d be over there mooching some Hungarian sausage off you! :laugh:

I’m kind of angry, because one of my planned entries calls for some Hungarian sausage, and there used to be a grocery store nearby that was based out of Cleveland, and they would have had it (FYI - Cleveland has a large Hungarian population).

I might be able to get it at the gourmet place, I probably can get it from the international market, and I’m about 99% sure I can get in the city, but I was hoping to get it at my usual place.

JAS_OH1 - if we were neighbors, I’d be over there mooching some Hungarian sausage off you! :laugh:
And you would not be disappointed! I'd gladly share and it's sooooo good!

Okay I've got it. Sausage, which can be made with pork, chicken, beef, seafood, duck, lamb, vegan protein, pretty much anything, EXCEPT breakfast sausage. Make your own, doesn't have to be stuffed into casing, or purchase. Can be fresh or dried.

I initially overlooked this...while ground beef can certainly be considered a sausage, it seems to occupy a different space when I think about sausages. Pork sausage? Of course. Duck sausage? Yes, please. Chicken sausage? Sure. Fish sausage? Why not. But, beef sausage? Isn't that hamburger? :laugh:

Not complaining at all about this, since I made beef chili yesterday, and didn't think I'd be able to enter it. Now, I know that I can. I will hopefully post it later today.

Last edited:
No, plain ground beef or any other protein is not sausage. Sausage is ground whatever with spices/herbs and/or vegetables added to it, then is either stuffed/shaped or used in bulk form.

If you brown ground beef or pork or chicken or lamb or whatever and then add spices and other things, it is NOT sausage. It's ground beef or pork or whatever that has had stuff added to it.

As an example, bulk Italian sausage is ground pork generally, but has had things added to it PRIOR to cooking.

No, plain ground beef or any other protein is not sausage. Sausage is ground whatever with spices/herbs and/or vegetables added to it, then is either stuffed/shaped or used in bulk form.

If you brown ground beef or pork or chicken or lamb or whatever and then add spices and other things, it is NOT sausage. It's ground beef or pork or whatever that has had stuff added to it.

As an example, bulk Italian sausage is ground pork generally, but has had things added to it PRIOR to cooking.

I ground the beef myself and added the seasoning to the recipe. But, since the ground beef wasn't incorporated with the spices and allowed to rest that way, I suppose this means I can't enter my chili recipe? It's posted to the Soup forum in case anyone's interested.

I ground the beef myself and added the seasoning to the recipe. But, since the ground beef wasn't incorporated with the spices and allowed to rest that way, I suppose this means I can't enter my chili recipe? It's posted to the Soup forum in case anyone's interested.

I’m kind of angry, because one of my planned entries calls for some Hungarian sausage, and there used to be a grocery store nearby that was based out of Cleveland, and they would have had it
Have you thought of Findlay Market? There´s a deli right opposite that does loads of sausages and a dedicated sausage maker inside! Yeah, I know - it´s a long trip!

Back
Top Bottom