The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Out for Delivery. Woo-Hoo.

k2-_9d90a9ea-6121-443d-a6bb-0fd11e9f3b43.v1.jpg

Sorry to hear about your dad. Good to hear he is okay.
Record-breaking rain and several thunderstorms here. Going to hunker down & awaiting some peel and stick quatrefoil-style paper to lay down under the sinks, and looking around for other uses. Love the pattern. Will try to post pics.

Thank you, we are just off out to see him.

I hate hospitals, my body is not normal, I woke up during an operation 40 years ago, couldn't do or say anything, but felt everything as they worked on me. I have to have high levels of drugs to knock me out.
I've always been different to most people,lol. In a nice way.

Russ

I hate hospitals, my body is not normal, I woke up during an operation 40 years ago, couldn't do or say anything, but felt everything as they worked on me. I have to have high levels of drugs to knock me out.

Russ
This happened to me recently. It's a known side effect of some of the stronger painkillers that are also used as anaesthetics such as fentanol. I believe it is called locked in syndrome . For me it was in recovery after an emergency op to prevent septicaemia. I could hear and feel everything but thankfully was no longer in pain. I knew that both nurses who were looking after me at this point were very concerned that I had lost consciousness on them but I knew I had only been out for a short while. I was however struggling to breath and it was clear to me that this was of great concern to them. It was more than 2 hrs before I could give them even the slightest indication that I was conscious. (I found out the times afterwards during my 8 day stay in hospital .) One of them was holding my hand continually by this time and I just managed to move the very tip of my little finger to give the tiniest of twitches and was able to repeat it again when asked . The relief in their voices by this time was very obvious. It was a very long time before I was taken back up to the ward. I was the last patient out and one of the nurses attending me stayed at work long after her shift had ended until I was starting to recover. Luckily for me I knew of the syndrome and knew what drug I had been given. I also knew that it is given as an anaesthetic to prevent the patient from moving so when this happened I didn't panic and knew it was just a case of waiting it out .

This happened to me recently. It's a known side effect of some of the stronger painkillers that are also used as anaesthetics such as fentanol. I believe it is called locked in syndrome . For me it was in recovery after an emergency op to prevent septicaemia. I could hear and feel everything but thankfully was no longer in pain. I knew that both nurses who were looking after me at this point were very concerned that I had lost consciousness on them but I knew I had only been out for a short while. I was however struggling to breath and it was clear to me that this was of great concern to them. It was more than 2 hrs before I could give them even the slightest indication that I was conscious. (I found out the times afterwards during my 8 day stay in hospital .) One of them was holding my hand continually by this time and I just managed to move the very tip of my little finger to give the tiniest of twitches and was able to repeat it again when asked . The relief in their voices by this time was very obvious. It was a very long time before I was taken back up to the ward. I was the last patient out and one of the nurses attending me stayed at work long after her shift had ended until I was starting to recover. Luckily for me I knew of the syndrome and knew what drug I had been given. I also knew that it is given as an anaesthetic to prevent the patient from moving so when this happened I didn't panic and knew it was just a case of waiting it out .

Wow, mine was a internal bone scrape on my nasal passages, I felt the chipping and bashing through the op. Even dentists had to give me bigger shots to knock the pain out. Fast forward to 2006 and I was also about 12 to 24 hrs away from dying of septicaemia. Very close call. I was in Queensland at the time in Hervey Bay.

Russ

Russ

Due to a long standing issue with my ear I have spent a lot of time in hospitals, surgery and check ups etc... then with mum now with dad-my brother isn't too well either so we have many more times to come :(

Due to a long standing issue with my ear I have spent a lot of time in hospitals, surgery and check ups etc... then with mum now with dad-my brother isn't too well either so we have many more times to come :(
You have my sympathies. I have no less than 6 medical appointments the week I get back from our holiday. I'm averaging 4 a week at the moment what with 2 * 3hrs of physio (outpatient rehab) a week minimum and my doctor wanting to see my once a fortnight as well. The additional ones are respiratory appointments for which I have a host of questions to be asked and answered. I need to start writing them down there are some many questions.
And that doesn't include me going with hubby to his once a week blood letting either. :(

I've just decided that the worst smell in the world to have your house filed with when you're on a diet and trying hard to go to bed is baked sweet potatoes. They're innocent I hear you cry . Trust me they are not. They were not cooked in time for tea so had to be swapped out with something else, chips was the only thing to hand that made sense. So they were left in the oven to continue cooking which they did and are now at that soft oozing stage where they will taste divine and smell heavenly and the oven door isn't even open . It's murder I tell you, murder!

I've just decided that the worst smell in the world to have your house filed with when you're on a diet and trying hard to go to bed is baked sweet potatoes. They're innocent I hear you cry . Trust me they are not. They were not cooked in time for tea so had to be swapped out with something else, chips was the only thing to hand that made sense. So they were left in the oven to continue cooking which they did and are now at that soft oozing stage where they will taste divine and smell heavenly and the oven door isn't even open . It's murder I tell you, murder!

It wouldn't tempt me - I'm not keen on them at all. Far too sweet for me...

It wouldn't tempt me - I'm not keen on them at all. Far too sweet for me...

We use sweet potatoes as wedges when we have a burger and salad, makes a change from ordinary spuds or chips.

We use sweet potatoes as wedges when we have a burger and salad, makes a change from ordinary spuds or chips.
We often use them that way and as fries as well but I fancied a change and was very short of time (I hadn't even got a far as turning the engine off when the coach arrived at the bus stop last night), so while sweet potatoes it was . I can still smell them now at 4:45am in the morning !

Lazy Saturday here, watching the horse racing channel, it's my syndicate bet here, we have 9 of us, all friends, in a betting syndicate, $5 a week so we have turns at betting. You have $45 to spend and if you don't get $45 back the next person takes over. At Xmas the money is shared out evenly. Quite handy for Xmas time.
I've put 20/25 win / place on a horse called hang man in race 3 at Flemington Melbourne. Later this afternoon.
We shall see how it goes. It's trained by a kiwi.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom