The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t ask what I’m wearing under my apron…you might see more of my Scottish heritage than you bargained for. :eek: :laugh:

IMG_7131.jpeg

Seems like Christmas and Australia don't mix...

We've only had 5cm of rain in 1hr but the wind has left a scene of devastation...

So we've spent the last 4 or 5 hours rounding up sheep and cattle and trying to get them to safety in-between thunderstorms.

20231225_190506.jpg

This next section of road is 1½ km (1 mile) long, totally straight and completely visible, normally. It doesn't look too bad until you realise that some of those tree trunks are over 3 foot or 1m wide each and some of the roots much, much bigger.

20231225_173012.jpg

20231225_190335.jpg

This needed to be taken in panoramic mode (0.5x). That root is sticking 3m or 10 feet high.

20231225_173243.jpg

I was holding the camera as high as possible using it to try to see over the debris. The road is directly ahead, honest!

20231225_173226.jpg

Having lost both neighbours in one direction (both died within 5 weeks of each other), we know the property is empty and they have sheep (bush fire control), but the fence along the road is compromised in so many places for at least 4 properties that is taken several hours to just assess the damage and get livestock to safety on foot (no one else can get in to do it and SES and clean up crews will work through the night to clear the road, but livestock don't fall into their jurisdiction. SES are still clearing the road now despite the fact it's going dark. We've just quit for the evening, knowing we've done all we can do for now. Tomorrow will bring a new day and hopefully less wind.

If we don't get too many more storms overnight, we should be OK.

20231225_190010.jpg

Wow! That's a eucalyptus tree that's come down, right? We've got quite a few in the area where I live, and they are BIG blighters that take a heck of a lot of shifting to come down! Add to that, the wood is very dense.

Wow! That's a eucalyptus tree that's come down, right? We've got quite a few in the area where I live, and they are BIG blighters that take a heck of a lot of shifting to come down! Add to that, the wood is very dense.
Yep, they're all various types of eucalyptus trees (except LHS of 2nd photo). And yes, they are huge. The wood is very hard. Won't take nails unless you pre-drill the hole (and I do mean nails, not screws).

The road didn't get cleared last night. They'll have to come back with special machinery later today. Even the "tow it out of the way" option wasn't an option.

Still, livestock, people and buildings are all OK, it's just the road, trees and fences that are damaged.

I have reached the conclusion that the Aussie weather doesn't like Christmas mind you! :laugh:

At 5.30 this morning I had fed both pets and made us both a brew..annoying to be up so early but there you go.

Yesterday was spent without much enthusiasm since we were all exhausted from staying out too late :happy: :happy:
Today will be "normal" (there's no such thing as Boxing Day over here) so I'll probably spend an hour or three in the garden. Unfortunately, we've got an invitation for "dinner" at my SIL's place this evening. Any interaction with her for more than 30 minutes gives me a headache. First of all, she's totally anti-social, so a "party" at her place is already a life-threatening situation. Secondly, she can't cook to save her life. She's so bad, she could undoubtedly screw up a ready meal. Thirdly, shes a psychologist.
That just about says it all. When we get home, I shall be pouring myself a large scotch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom