The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite trying to avoid the ghastly spectacle of the royal wedding all day I caught sight of Megan's wedding dress on the news. Its one of the most boring plain wedding dresses I've ever seen... and when you think what it cost!

Despite trying to avoid the ghastly spectacle of the royal wedding all day I caught sight of Megan's wedding dress on the news. Its one of the most boring plain wedding dresses I've ever seen... and when you think what it cost!

No idea how much it cost to be honest and I am not a royalist in any way. However I do like the ldea of people coming together to rejoice instead of mourning.

I would suspect it cost absolutely nothing - like all such items it will be an advertising 'leader' for the designer/maker. There may have been an estimated cost or a nominal cost but in terms of actual cash changing hands - no. In fact in comparison to the revenue earned by the whole event [and that has to include things as far removed as income tax paid by those working in the souvenir industry right through to money earned by selling TV rights] the whole event will have made far more than it ever cost

I shall be doing some more gardening today, a glorious morning so want to start whilst it is still cool.

The threat of going to a friends to be looked after whilst we're on holiday for a couple of nights has got my poorly chook back on her feet and running! Her balance is still dodgy but coming on. However she's now that well we don't actually need to take her over to the lady (over an hour away) so she can stay here by herself for 2 nights instead!

Oh and predictive text had a great sense of humour...

The threat of going to a friends to be looked after whilst we're on holiday for a couple of nights has got my poorly chook back on her feet and running!

Predictive text put in
The threat of going to a friends to be killed

Because she's known for animals in her care dying (she's a wildlife care assistant). Some even dye before they get sent to her as a pre-emptive strike.

Sorry. I'm an ardent royalist. In this house, it was royal wedding all morning, followed by MotoGP qualifying, with Indy500 qualifying in the evening..... :D

A friend related this story. He received a steak in a local restaurant that was atrocious. He sent it back and discovered that the "cook" had cooked the steak in the microwave!

A friend related this story. He received a steak in a local restaurant that was atrocious. He sent it back and discovered that the "cook" had cooked the steak in the microwave!
When I was recovering from major surgery 3 years ago, my daughter and granddaughters came down to take me out for a meal. We chose a local pub which had very good reviews for their restaurant. It was a disaster. All the meals had been reheated in a microwave. The steak and the chicken were OK but not outstanding, but the veggies were awful. We had words with the powers that be and were only charged for three dinners instead of four, had free desserts and free drinks, but I still think they shouldn't have charged for the meals themselves. I have been back there, but not for any cooked meals.

I spent the morning avoiding the wedding... I rewired the headlights on my "new" 4x4. There were some interesting issues we encountered first time we drove it in the dark. On full beam (everything on) you can see for miles, literally. But the centre spot lights are not functioning and more importantly when you dropped down to headlights, you couldn't see anything. They were unbelievably poor. So I got hubby to buy me some new bulbs. The plan was easy. Change the old bulbs for the new ones. What could possibly go wrong?

When instructions for replacing a bulb stay with the ominous instructions of "remove the radiator reservoir" you know life is going to be difficult. Actually that wasn't the problem and was relatively easy, the problem was the style of lights I had, note the past tense, had. They had lock rings on them. And it would not lock back into place once I had removed the headlights to confirm hubby had the wrong ones. And of course the bulb failed the moment it was removed from the assembly.

Fast forward a week, now have the correct headlights bulbs but can't fit them. The lock ring won't lock into place and now can't drive with anything other than side lights on without showing I have a bulb out (infact 3 of my 4 lights were not working at one point with both side lights not functional either...) fast forward another week and new headlight assemblies have been ordered, posted and delivered...

So this morning was spent trying hard to replace the entire lights, rather than just the bulb. Trying is the key here. In theory it was 5 screws to remove the radiator grill, plus a screwdriver operated clip, then 3 screws per light pair, and finally 4 screws for each of the 2 lights in each pair.
What no one who wrote the instructions took into account is that most 4x4s come with bull bars, extra spot lights, CB radios (hence aerials) etc which means that every single screw of that radiator grill is behind something you can't remove and even our shortest stubby Phillips screwdriver is too long. You need a screw driver that operates at 90 degrees to the screw and we didn't have one...

3 hours later and we've finally managed to replace the headlight assembly (only the outer pair, so normal running lights not main bream) and work out why the spotlights didn't work...

The rest of the morning was spent removing the heavy duty kitchen from the boot space. We didn't need it, won't use it and would really much prefer the boot space to be, well a space! It was a crowbar job because all of the screws were given under carpet which had been well glued into place, then a case of tracing wiring to see what it connected to (the non existent leisure battery), then removing the wiring because it just wasn't necessary (connected to a water pump on an on off switch) and finally tidying up the back of my "car".

I've also sorted out the mess someone made installing a new bulb into the rear lights. It's the old dual filament style bulb where there's s bump at 12 and another at 5 so you can only put it in one way. The previous owner actually managed to put it in the wrong way which meant some of the electrics weren't working and strange things happened when I braked (rather than the brake light coming on that is...). I'll have to replace both of those lights bulbs as well. Installing it the wrong way had resulted in tearing one of the bumps away from the base of the bulb which isn't really very good news.

Next weekends project is either tracing the plumbing system and working out why there's no water getting to the rear windscreen or is tracing the myriad of additional wires around my feet to find and locate a switch for the second of the additional led light strips installed on the vehicle. I've only found one of them so far!
Or I could try to work out why cruise control doesn't appear to work.
Or I could uninstall the extra 60L water tank from the roof rack.
Or I could fix the interior courtesy light which either doesn't come on, or doesn't go off depending on if we are using the front doors or the tail gate. It's not the light bulb...

I have a feeling this vehicle is going to occupy my time quite a bit!
And if you've kept up with all of this, type done really well and deserve a good star when I get back from my holiday. (and no my new car isn't going until it's been serviced... It needs it badly and that's something I can't do passed air filters and spark plugs anymore.)

Sorry. I'm an ardent royalist. In this house, it was royal wedding all morning, followed by MotoGP qualifying, with Indy500 qualifying in the evening..... :D

The weather was for too good to sit inside. I wish them well as I would with any couple who marry but I am neither royalist nor non-royalist.

Happily, I saw none of this piffle. I might watch the divorce in 2020, though.

The weather was for too good to sit inside. I wish them well as I would with any couple who marry but I am neither royalist nor non-royalist.
Too sunny for me. I'm supposed to stay covered up, and my eyes can't deal with bright sunlight (or bright any lights for that matter).

Too sunny for me. I'm supposed to stay covered up, and my eyes can't deal with bright sunlight (or bright any lights for that matter).

The weather has been so lousy for so long I am just enjoying the lovely weather while it lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom