The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What method did you use?

I always use my immersion/stick blender nowadays. My god what a revelation that was!
I have a mini food processor so used the small bowl on it. It was just big enough for a single (whole) egg and the oil. Next time I'll use a bantam egg and half the oil accordingly. That way I'll make less, though I didn't have any issues with it going off etc.

I actually don't like my stick blender but I guess that probably has a lot to do with grip and control of it, something I lack (grip and hence control). Neither hand has much at present and it's getting worse not better.

Rain is forecast for the end of the week. I'm lucky where we are because we actually do get more rain here because of the start of the mountains after a plain.

This last week has had some slightly more interesting weather because at the bottom of the hill, most mornings have been dense fog and cold, but up on the top of the hill where we are it had been mostly clear but I've been able to see the fog lower in the valley which had been quite fascinating. In still learning the weather pattern here but we've had a temperature inversion most days where it had been warmer at the top of the hill than the bottom. Anything up to 6C difference.

I have a poorly chook, well actually a chick. She's in the house with us and has spent the entire evening on my lap, just sitting there dosing. She's a lovely cute little girl who hasn't faired too well with the recent changes. I managed to get 15ml of oral rehydrate solution with sugar and honey dissolved into it into her at lunchtime and another 10ml around evening. Then a further 5ml just now. She's eaten something since which is good and can now stand by herself and had perked up quite a bit. Ideally she'd sleep with the flock, but we're forecast 0C tonight and that's too cold for a sick chick, so she's in the house in one of the huge dog carriers we have. At lunchtime today I didn't expect her to survive to dusk (neither did hubby) so he hasn't really complained about her being in the house. If she had company to keep her warm, I'd leave her outside but the sick house/maternity quarters need repairs before they can be used at all (not to mention being moved).

The entire flock is in its new home for the second night. Last night proved one thing and one thing only. The new roost is too small. We had to remove some of the nesting boxes today and extend the roosting perches. Hopefully there's a little more space in there tonight, though I haven't counted my girls because it's been a long two days finishing the chook house off, then modifying it and taking an entire day to move the electric fence over to its new location and work out what is the best path for it. Only to them watch my rather naughty cockerel take less than 5 minutes to work out how to escape. I had actually pointed this particular route out to my husband. There are some rocks behind the chook house. The type that don't get moved because they are bed rock sticking out of the ground... Well climb up onto those, then onto the roof of the chook house. Now let's see, that's exactly the route I took clearing all the debris off the roof when I started the renovations last weekend. I'm going to have to construct some fencing to go up there now, something along the lines of barbed wire without the barbs because I don't have any! That and some bird scare tape I think.

Indeed - its totally brilliant for making vegan aquafaba mayo too.
The speed and being able to add the oil in one lot. Mayo in under a minute. Both my kids can make it - the 14yo requires some supervision. His big sister however, amazed her teachers by whipping one up to go with a dish in her cooking class.

The speed and being able to add the oil in one lot. Mayo in under a minute. Both my kids can make it - the 14yo requires some supervision. His big sister however, amazed her teachers by whipping one up to go with a dish in her cooking class.

I've still not had the courage to add all the oil at once! I must try it.

"Rain Stopped Play" at snooker today.

There was one helluva storm (not unusual at this time of year). Power went down then the emergency generator kicked in. Computer (which controls the table lights) needed rebooting then a minute later the generator pack up. Apparently no-one had topped up the tank.

Anyway, we were 2 - 1 frames up at the time and in the lead in the fourth frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom