The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I thought I had, perhaps I mentioned it elsewhere, and no don't mind at all.

I've been having random stomach pains usually at inconvenient o' clock for a year or so and was putting it down to indigestion. They would start at about 1 am and last till about 5 or 6 am.
They gradually got worse until I went to the quack and following a scan they diagnosed a gallbladder packed with gallstones. For some unknown reason the pains went away but returned with a vengeance in early May culminating with the most agonising pain I've ever experienced on the 19th. I was rushed to hospital with acute pancreatitis caused by a gallstone blocking the common bile duct. I turned a rather fetching shade of yellow all over.

I have to have my gallbladder removed to stop stones going walkabout in future as repeated pancreatitis attacks could be fatal, I'm having the gallbladder removed on Friday. From May until then I've had to be on a low fat diet, no more than 20mg of fat a day and no more than 10mg in any one meal.

Rather alarmingly when they were carrying out scans for the pancreatitis they picked up a possible cancerous mass on my left kidney. after a letter of complaint from myself I've had some good news, the urologist has told me today that although the lump is a tumour he is 99% sure that it is benign and only sitting on the surface of the kidney. Once I have recovered from the surgery they will do a biopsy and probably remove the lump when they are 100% sure.

The really odd thing is that I am one of those people that never gets ill and to suddenly get this happening has knocked me back a bit.

I wish you all the very best :hug:

I have to have my gallbladder removed to stop stones going walkabout in future as repeated pancreatitis attacks could be fatal, I'm having the gallbladder removed on Friday. From May until then I've had to be on a low fat diet, no more than 20mg of fat a day and no more than 10mg in any one meal.

Ah - so that is why you have been eating low fat - you did mention that.

The really odd thing is that I am one of those people that never gets ill and to suddenly get this happening has knocked me back a bit.

I can empathise. I wish you all the best for the op. Will you be able to eat normally afterwards?

Will you be able to eat normally afterwards?

Yes shouldn't be a problem, I spoke to my surgeon about this today and he assured me that I can eat normally straight away although some peeps get a bit of an upset tummy for a week or two after the op.
And he also said it may make sense to gradually up my fat intake rather than overloading with fat.

I'm not sure what to eat first, a big bacon sanga, a pork pie, cheese on toast, spam fritters.

I wasn't terribly tubby to begin with but the forced diet shifted a few stubborn pounds and I'm determined not to let that weight creep back on!

He has had a cold for a fortnight and is still hanging around so I would assume that I would have caught it a while ago but who knows :unsure:

I think that you'll find that it's "man flu".

man flu.png

Last edited:
On Tuesday I had to order lunches for Wednesday and today, the company we normally use is closed for the July fortnight, I then had to go online to find another catering company, everyone I rang closed for the July fortnight. I managed to find one but they are quite pricey so probably won't use them again unless in an emergency. I find it strange that the 'July Fortnight' still exists in this day and age.

On Tuesday I had to order lunches for Wednesday and today, the company we normally use is closed for the July fortnight, I then had to go online to find another catering company, everyone I rang closed for the July fortnight. I managed to find one but they are quite pricey so probably won't use them again unless in an emergency. I find it strange that the 'July Fortnight' still exists in this day and age.

I've never even heard of 'July fortnight'. :scratchhead:

I've never even heard of 'July fortnight'. :scratchhead:
Where I grew up, and the same for my husband, it was always the last week in June and the first in July. For me, it was the potter's fortnight and him, Oldham wakes.

The potters fortnight was the only time of year that the kilns were shut-down, cleaned, repaired etc. Then fired backup and got back up to temperature.
Oldham wakes it was when the cotton mills shut-down.

Basically those in the industry didn't choose their holidays. They went on holiday during t that period end of story. Lots of places had the same, just a different name for it all.
Whilst I was at school, it was still very common to go on holiday during that period though by the time I left, the school had banned it because it interfered with the summer term too much

Last edited:
The potters fortnight was the only time of year that the kilns were shut-down, cleaned, repaired etc. Then fired backup and got back up to temperature.
Oldham wakes it was when the cotton mills shut-down.

That would explain it - it was a regional thing to do with the potteries and mills. I grew up in a naval city in the South so no real industry other than in the dockyard.

So I'm not being discharged from hospital today after all.
In not ready for a discharge, so with this hospital (in Melbourne) insisting on it, we asked for me to be transferred to Canberra rehab instead especially given in only 4 weeks post op today, our home is not set-up for a wheelchair, I wasn't using one beforehand at home (only socially) and I can't even guarantee I can get into the kitchen or sitting room in the wheelchair and certainly can't get to the toilet or into the bathroom (separate rooms). Canberra will take me, it's just a case of when because they were moving hospitals this week (the rehab unit that is)... And if I transfer between hospitals it has to be done as an inpatient, so here I stay until they are ready for me, then it's an ambulance transfer to Canberra some +650km away.

Wysh me luck, in a couple of hours I head up to the PEH for my op. Should be only an overnight stay and back home tomorrow. Planning on cooking a packet mix lasagne but baking some nice chocolate brownies, it all depends how much I hurt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom