The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We call that a "Boot" here. I've never seen one used in my area, but I don't live in a huge city where parking Nazis love to show their superior, err inferior complexes.

If you don't pay your car tax then you get fined end of, it is no difference to any other tax.

If you don't pay your car tax then you get fined end of, it is no difference to any other tax.

They don't "boot" a vehicle for not renewing the tag/registration fee, they pull you over and write a citation. Which is a fine. If they "booted" every vehicle with an expired tag, we wouldn't be able to drive on our roads and highways.:eek:

They don't "boot" a vehicle for not renewing the tag/registration fee, they pull you over and write a citation. Which is a fine. If they "booted" every vehicle with an expired tag, we wouldn't be able to drive on our roads and highways.:eek:

Over here an untaxed vehicle will be clamped, if it is untaxed then it invalidates the insurance.

Over here c. 50% of the vehicles have neither tax nor insurance (mainly motorcycles). And c. 25% of the drivers are unlikely to have a licence.

Over here an untaxed vehicle will be clamped, if it is untaxed then it invalidates the insurance.
Not quite - if it is not MOT'd it invalidates the insurance [although the company would pay out to a 3rd party in the event of and accident then claim the money back from the owner] the tax is irrelevant. Further the tax is 'monitored' by the DVLA and a fine will be issued by post if the tax/insurance/MOT are out of date [unless the vehicle is SORN'd when it must be kept on private land]. As we now have the situation that tax cannot be transferred to another owner and he cannot obtain tax without the registration document which must be sent away to the DVLA to change the name then we have in effect the ridiculous situation that to obey the strict letter of the law it is impossible to buy a vehicle privately. Another government shambles

Afraid we cheated again tonight - it was just too hot to cook so we had a HUGE take away :oops: [bit too big really as it's meant for four but at least the dog and cat love the leftovers :D]

The rain only lasted about 5 minutes, it was heavy, the slabs look wet but the ground looks untouched.

The rain only lasted about 5 minutes, it was heavy, the slabs look wet but the ground looks untouched.

Apparently the ground is so parched all over the UK that even a torrential downpour won't help - it just bounces off the surface. My lawn is now completely yellow including lots of rather pretty yellow flowers (not buttercups) which seem to thrive. Its not worth mowing them all off as they are the only signs of life!

We had a trip to Yorkshire yesterday and the hills were golden with the dried grass. Only the valleys gad a hint of green.
It's the same here and there have been several fires. The Peaks (I live near the Peak District) had one fire that lasted a week. Some of the fires were deliberate, which is very sad.

We had a trip to Yorkshire yesterday and the hills were golden with the dried grass. Only the valleys gad a hint of green.

Gud onya lass, I ant bin to Yorkshire for orla 15 year.

I miss it.

When we were last there I'd've liked to have done the Leeds - Settle trip by rail but we had a rented car and not a lot of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom