The last vegetarian main meal I ate and/or cooked was....

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:36 PM
In my case it was dinner last night - a pizza with mozzarella, basil, chilli, smoked garlic, tomatoes, spinach, pine-nuts, raisins and a runny egg 'poached on top'! Tonight is also vegetarian - egg, potato and peas curry with home-made naan, red onion pickle and raitha.

What about you?

Coincidence! Me and hubby went to Pizza Express in Alton last night and I had a Fiorentina - spinach, free-range egg, mozzarella, tomato, garlic oil and black olives, finished with Gran Milano cheese.

I guess we're not taking strict vegematarian since you've included eggs and dairy. Those would be lacto-ovo- vegetarians, yes?

I guess we're not taking strict vegematarian since you've included eggs and dairy. Those would be lacto-ovo- vegetarians, yes?

Yes! My understanding of Vegetarian is that it includes those things. But I will now go and check if things have changed since I was a vegetarian...

The Vegetarian Society defines a vegetarian as follows:

"A vegetarian is someone who lives on a diet of grains, pulses, legumes, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits, fungi, algae, yeast and/or some other non-animal-based foods (e.g. salt) with, or without, dairy products, honey and/or eggs. A vegetarian does not eat foods that consist of, or have been produced with the aid of products consisting of or created from, any part of the body of a living or dead animal. This includes meat, poultry, fish, shellfish*, insects, by-products of slaughter** or any food made with processing aids created from these."

There are different degrees of vegetarianism which may be what causes confusion with caterers. The four most common forms of vegetarianism are:
  • Lacto-ovo-vegetarian. Eats both dairy products and eggs. This is the most common type of vegetarian diet.
  • Lacto-vegetarian. Eats dairy products but not eggs.
  • Ovo-vegetarian. Eats eggs but not dairy products.
  • Vegan. Does not eat dairy products, eggs, or any other animal product.
Eggs: Many lacto-ovo vegetarians will only eat free-range eggs. This is because of welfare objections to the intensive farming of hens. Through its Vegetarian Society Approved trade mark, the Vegetarian Society only endorses products containing free-range eggs.

Or cow juice?

It's so much easier to get along with others if you're an omnivore.

Or cow juice?

It's so much easier to get along with others if you're an omnivore.
There is a huge concept difference between the UK and the USA on what vegetarian and vegan actually are.

Being a UK based forum, we stick with the UK definition of vegetarian (eggs, honey, dairy are all included if the person wants them,) and vegan (as above but without any dairy, eggs, honey, insects, fish eggs etc.)

So in answer to your query, typically a vegetarian does include dairy products (not just cows, but sheep, goats, female of the yak species, horse, buffalo etc)

There is a huge concept difference between the UK and the USA on what vegetarian and vegan actually are.

Being a UK based forum, we stick with the UK definition of vegetarian (eggs, honey, dairy are all included if the person wants them,) and vegan (as above but without any dairy, eggs, honey, insects, fish eggs etc.)

So in answer to your query, typically a vegetarian does include dairy products (not just cows, but sheep, goats, female of the yak species, horse, buffalo etc)

Thanks. I didn't know that, about there being interpretations of vegetarianism.

I do know that milking male yaks makes them very happy.

Been racking my brain on this one. Apart from mushroom soup (ahem), the nearest would be when my wife makes one of her excellent omelettes with peppers and mushrooms and other interesting things. Not really a main course - we tend to have omeletts for lunch when we have them - but that is about as close as I come to genuinely vegetarian.

Its interesting - nobody has actually answered the question... now, I know we have two vegetarians here at least, but I wasn't necessarily expecting them to reply. But hmmm.... is it the case that everyone else here eats meat or fish for their main meal of the day?

Been racking my brain on this one. Apart from mushroom soup (ahem), the nearest would be when my wife makes one of her excellent omelettes with peppers and mushrooms and other interesting things. Not really a main course - we tend to have omeletts for lunch when we have them - but that is about as close as I come to genuinely vegetarian.

Weren't you saying that your wife was 'health conscious' when it comes to food? I would have thought that would have inspired you to have more vegetarian meals. Just saying...:)

What I had for tea tonight was tantamount to vegetarian. My wife served me a couple of, shall we say, economic supermarket fish cakes. Basically mashed potato in breadcrumbs that I think someone on the production line had whispered 'fish' at as they passed by on the conveyor belt.

The irony is, my wife makes the most wonderful fish pie. Takes a bit more work that supermarket fish cakes though and Monday is always a difficult night...

Back
Top Bottom