Recipe The official Coronation quiche

My dad used to grow broad beans, and we always ate them with the skin on. However, what Morning Glory suggests is not only logical, in that the skins might cause digestive problems for some, but also aesthetically more pleasing: from a dull grey to a brilliant green.
My jury is still out on this dish. I'm still thinking "onion, onion, onion" would improve it, especially as the tarragon is the only aromatic. It all sounds a bit bland to me. I suppose I'll have to make it as well, as soon as I can get hold of some broad beans.

In fact my Dad also grew broad beans and we, too, ate them with the skin on. I like the texture and taste - but in this quiche, I fear that would be a little too rustic. In the official video they use them without. I agree about the onion.

Can you get broad beans in Venezuela?

Drop the needle on “Hail, Britannia!”

IMG_4273.jpeg

OK - you beat me to it :laugh: :laugh: I found some broad beans in the market on Saturday but forgot the spinach.
Be highly critical when you taste it. I think it lacks onion. King Charles depends on you! 🇮🇸🇮🇸
Well, I’ll tell you…I was in agreement about the onion (and a little garlic…maybe even a tiny sprinkle of nutmeg, since it goes with spinach so well), but this is remarkably good as-is, and now I think any or all of those might disrupt the delicate balance of the dish as presented.

I mentioned in an earlier celery recipe about individual ingredients coming together to make a greater whole, and this is a perfect example of that. It’s so simple, it’s deceptive.

To me, the spinach was mainly something of a filler, some bulk, because what really came through was that creaminess a nicely-cooked bean has, along with the tarragon - that hint of licorice contributes brilliantly.

MrsT and I, neither of us, like tarragon all that much (and I don’t care for spinach, so that’s two strikes), because it’s like a toddler on a tantrum, it kicks everything else over, but in this, it’s harmonious, not overly assertive at all.

MrsT’s reaction:

“Tell me what you think. A lot of people are saying this sounds really bland.”

<Takes a bite>

“I can see that…but…it’s really delicious! <takes another bite> My god, this is good! Do not lose this recipe!”

Multiple times while eating, she hammered home how much she enjoyed this.

I also mentioned earlier that I watch Darren McGrady’s “The Royal Chef” videos from time to time, more for entertainment than for cooking something, and he’s stated time and again that Charles is very food-centric, intently interested in ingredients and recipes (unlike his mother, whom he described as mainly an “eat-to-live” person).

If so, and if he was in any way involved in actually choosing this, then I have to compliment his good taste. It’s terrific!

IMG_4275.jpeg
IMG_4276.jpeg
IMG_4277.jpeg

…and no soggy bottom!

Well, I’ll tell you…I was in agreement about the onion (and a little garlic…maybe even a tiny sprinkle of nutmeg, since it goes with spinach so well), but this is remarkably good as-is, and now I think any or all of those might disrupt the delicate balance of the dish as presented.

I mentioned in an earlier celery recipe about individual ingredients coming together to make a greater whole, and this is a perfect example of that. It’s so simple, it’s deceptive.

To me, the spinach was mainly something of a filler, some bulk, because what really came through was that creaminess a nicely-cooked bean has, along with the tarragon - that hint of licorice contributes brilliantly.

MrsT and I, neither of us, like tarragon all that much (and I don’t care for spinach, so that’s two strikes), because it’s like a toddler on a tantrum, it kicks everything else over, but in this, it’s harmonious, not overly assertive at all.

MrsT’s reaction:

“Tell me what you think. A lot of people are saying this sounds really bland.”

<Takes a bite>

“I can see that…but…it’s really delicious! <takes another bite> My god, this is good! Do not lose this recipe!”

Multiple times while eating, she hammered home how much she enjoyed this.

I also mentioned earlier that I watch Darren McGrady’s “The Royal Chef” videos from time to time, more for entertainment than for cooking something, and he’s stated time and again that Charles is very food-centric, intently interested in ingredients and recipes (unlike his mother, whom he described as mainly an “eat-to-live” person).

If so, and if he was in any way involved in actually choosing this, then I have to compliment his good taste. It’s terrific!

View attachment 99598View attachment 99599View attachment 99600
…and no soggy bottom!

Really well done! Can't really see the broad beans though - well they weren't actually broad beans were they...

Regarding onions added has been suggested as - I'm not sure. I rather like the 'delicate combination' of the original ingredients. I must get down to making it tomorrow. Everything takes me so long to do (due to current mobility issues) that I end up putting it off...

Can't really see the broad beans though - well they weren't actually broad beans were they...
Lima beans, actually, as broad beans/fava beans would require I drive 35 minutes each way, and then cook them from dry, whereas frozen lima beans are standard fare at just about any grocery here.

Had to do it, but I violated James Beard's first recipe rule - I didn't follow the recipe exactly, because I put some diced bacon and half an onion in it, mixed with the fresh spinach and fresh broad beans, including the skin.
It was unbelievably dull. Maybe it'll taste a bit better today.
Coronation Quiche 1.jpg
I think spending Xmas on the Isle of Unst might be more exciting. Sorry Chas & Cami, but I'll stick to Prawn Vindaloo, Spaghetti alla Putanesca and hot dogs with loads of crispy onions. :laugh: :laugh:

Yes. Still boring :laugh: :laugh:
Needs bacon, onion, garlic, garam masala, ketjap manis, Thai green chiles, fermented black beans; hey, I'd be happy with a splash of Ketchup or HP sauce!:D:D

Are you sure your taste buds recovered after Covid? Only joking - but to my mind a quiche should be a mild delicate affair. What type of cheese did you use?

Back
Top Bottom