The Official Food and Music thread

caseydog

Local time
1:01 PM
Okay, I came up with this weird idea that music can inspire cooking, and cooking can inspire music. This isn't necessarily about songs with food in the name, but that's okay, too. It can simply be about what music gets you in the mood to cook, or what kind of food gets you in the mood for music.

I got this idea when I did a search on the Stones song, Brown Sugar, and came up with something unexpected.

CD

I don't find music gets me in the mood to cook, but when I've got the kitchen to myself and am about to hunker down for a relaxing hour or two prepping and cooking then I will put on some classical music or spoken word/audiobooks to keep me company. Recently I've been listening to the complete Yes Minister (UK sitcom) radio plays.

Usually I'm into rock and heavy metal, but I don't generally listen to that while cooking.

Usually I'm into rock and heavy metal, but I don't generally listen to that while cooking.
Wow, I have been discovering heavy metal and rock alongside my boyfriend, or because of him, recently. But also not during the process of cooking, I kind of devote my whole attention to the music, as I want to get to know it.
Interesting thread! When nourished well, one can create anything well, including music. I am into composing little pieces of music myself in the past several months, and it is such a rewarding and exciting journey. One of my coworkers said a student of his will perform my piece next school year. That is fantastic. Can't wait to hear it.
I do find similarities in the creative process, in the music composing and the cooking, possibly an equal amount of curiousity, unknown, excitement, love, beauty, trial and error, experimentation, enjoyment in the results.

When I think about it, I would probably choose certain genre of music, according to the food or occasion in question. But I could imagine listening to, say, japanese (traditional) music and being inspired to search a japanese dish recipe...

I still have to read my scribbled notes (cooking instructions) and be very focused on what I am doing while cooking for most dishes, in particular new recipes, so I don't find myself being able to focus on music at the same time...but during eating, yes, possible. Have I done it recently? No, not really, I prefer the silence and the bird chirping. Probably to erase and detach from the school enviroment which is full of music and practice and attempts and what not.

Curious to read further psots on the topic.

I don’t listen to music while cooking, it disturbs my focus, but more to the point of the question, the only thing I can think of now where music has inspired me to cook something is probably just a simple-but-delicious slawburger.

If I hear The Kentucky Headhunters song “Dumas Walker,” I immediately think, “I haven’t had a slawburger in a while,” and if I’m having a slawburger, I’ll think of the song, so it sort of works both ways.

Dumas Walker:
View: https://youtu.be/FTBWiUkR69w

Slawburger:
Recipe - Slawburger

If I'm chopping food I would prefer to be listening to a gentle song like "Willow" by Joan Armatrading.

Listening to Jethro Tull's "Locomotive Breath" would likely result in me having a few less digits.

I don't find music gets me in the mood to cook, but when I've got the kitchen to myself and am about to hunker down for a relaxing hour or two prepping and cooking then I will put on some classical music or spoken word/audiobooks to keep me company. Recently I've been listening to the complete Yes Minister (UK sitcom) radio plays.

I can definitely relate to the classical music playing when I decide to cook something "chefy."

I have some Klipsch outdoor speakers that serenade me on the patio when I'm grilling or smoking meats. For that, it is not classical playing, it is Led Zeppelin, Rush or Living Colour cranking for me and my neighbors to enjoy. :laugh:

CD

If I'm chopping food I would prefer to be listening to a gentle song like "Willow" by Joan Armatrading.

Listening to Jethro Tull's "Locomotive Breath" would likely result in me having a few less digits.

I have the whole Locomotive Breath concert in my music library. Yeah, I can see myself cooking with that playing.

CD

I don't like country music, but Charlie Robinson does some really well written Texas country/rock. Here is something funny he wrote about food and marriage. :laugh:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uMBm0Zr8Ac

And a song that takes me back to my summer of 1980 working pipeline construction. The job that motivated me to get my college degree. It is Texas County music, which is different than county and western music. It is gritty and raw. No fluff.I crank this up on the patio when I'm grilling.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg1pYtoWL6c&list=PLWu-swybzbKyD6R6w2azyihnhGN-_S8XK&index=1

CD

When I'm doing prep work on my workplace I prefer electronic music, mainly goa, psytrance, phonk, synthwave and lo-fi beats. I think they're helping me concentrate and they remember me of a colleague who did always good work and then I'm motivated to do it better.
A German song about ground meat

When I'm doing prep work on my workplace I prefer electronic music, mainly goa, psytrance, phonk, synthwave and lo-fi beats. I think they're helping me concentrate and they remember me of a colleague who did always good work and then I'm motivated to do it better.

I don't dislike electronica music, but if I were to play it while cooking, my meal would be a disaster. I would cook it in record time, but it would look like a Jackson Polluck painting, and who knows what it would taste like. :laugh:

CD

Haha whenever I listen to rap I start thinking about the lyrics, in pop I wonder how beautiful a voice can be and at metal I'm gonna start moshing the potatoes instead of mashing

The music was not great, but the video was. The mullet haircut and the stuff happening in the background are excellent.

CD

Back
Top Bottom