The package is a lie!

Puggles

Veteran
Local time
10:44 AM
I have failed again at making rice, but this time I blame the package. I did exactly what it said, (it didn't seem like enough water to begin with) but I still followed the instructions and I was right, wasn't enough water and before the timer was even up I had a bunch of burnt rice on the bottom of the pan and the rest of it was still not cooked enough. Who makes these directions? Now I have to go buy more.

It's wild rice, that was at approx. a 1:1 ratio. I should have done 2:1, but I decided to follow the directions. This is what happens when you do what you're told! It is not going to be fun cleaning all that burnt rice.

It's wild rice, that was at approx. a 1:1 ratio. I should have done 2:1, but I decided to follow the directions. This is what happens when you do what you're told! It is not going to be fun cleaning all that burnt rice.

Keep in mind that wild rice is not actually rice. It is a grain. I personally don't like it, but a lot of people do. You may need to cook it differently.

CD

I always end up adding more water than what package calls for, even in a wild rice blend.

We don't usually measure the quantities of rice 'v' water because it's difficult to get it wrong in a rice cooker. However, I checked the indicator in the cooking bowl and found this:

1699327959168.png

From that, it appears that for one cup of rice 500 ml of water is required but only a further 250 ml water for each additional cup of rice.

1699328947568.png

I normally only cook ½ cup of rice for myself and just cover the rice by about 5 mm of water. It hasn't failed yet.

[Note: there are no "cooking instructions" on the 3 or 5 kg packs of rice that we buy here].

Last edited:
We don't usually measure the quantities of rice 'v' water because it's difficult to get it wrong in a rice cooker. However, I checked the indicator in the cooking bowl and found this:

From that, it appears that for one cup of rice 500 ml of water is required but only a further 250 ml water for each additional cup of rice.

I normally only cook ½ cup of rice for myself and just cover the rice by about 5 mm of water. It hasn't failed yet.

[Note: there are no "cooking instructions" on the 3 or 5 kg packs of rice that we buy here].
I use a rice cooker too and what you say is correct. Maybe Puggles needs a rice cooker in their life

I have failed again at making rice, but this time I blame the package. I did exactly what it said, (it didn't seem like enough water to begin with) but I still followed the instructions and I was right, wasn't enough water and before the timer was even up I had a bunch of burnt rice on the bottom of the pan and the rest of it was still not cooked enough. Who makes these directions? Now I have to go buy more.

At times, I've made mistakes with rice also, especially in the rice cooker!! It CAN be confusing at times where you think that you might know how to do it, then the rice comes out either a little too hard or too soft (gummy). One thing that I just can't stand is one or the other!! I use the methods with parboiled or short-grain rice, that is with parboiled rice, I use the 1-2 method which is for one cup of rice, I use 2 cups of water. For short-grain rice, I use 1-1/2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. Most kinds of rice are not the same & even though the cooking times may be the same, the measurements of water are not the same. Even balsamic rice, which I love the flavor of, the measurements are the same as for short-grain rice.:headshake:

GadgetGuy :
Balsamic rice :wink:????

I don't use a rice steamer. Just a pot.
I've found that parboiled rice needs more water and you could use it with lots of water and drain.
I normally cook jasmine rice. 3 water to 2 rice by volume.
Bring to a boil. One good stir. Cover again, turn of the heat and let it stand.
Works a dream with our rice and my pot.
It's big amounts of rice that I sometimes struggle with

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom