The Perfect Boiled Egg

As I said above, I prefer 6-7 minutes, and they are definitely not hard-boiled but neither are they as runny as you like them. Mind you, people often used to have 3-4 minute eggs before the salmonella scare. My Mum and Dad always did, complete with soldiers to dip in them.
As @MrsDangermouse asks, are you cooking from fridge temp. ?

Could explain the difference? If you store your eggs in the fridge but the recipe writer keeps them at room temperature then it'd make sense that yours take longer to cook.

Sounds logical. I am going to cook two boiled eggs tomorrow. One is going to be a fridge egg. The other I will take out of the fridge now. I'll cook both for 4 mins and photograph the results.

If I'm cooking poached or soft boiled eggs, I usually take them out of the fridge 30 - 60 minutes before cooking (sometimes I forget). For hard boiled eggs I don't usually bother. Note that my method of cooking starts with tepid water.

I've only been elderly for a few years so I'm really pleased about this.

[What a load of codswhallop!]

I had to hard-boil some tonight as part of my dinner. I took them out of the fridge about 45 minutes before I cooked them, and boiled them for 8 minutes. The first one was still soft when I peeled it, the second one quite so soft, and by the time I got to the third one, that was just right.

The results of my hard boiled egg experiment. @MrsDangermouse is correct. If you cook from room temperature then 4 minutes (plunged straight into boiling water) produces a perfect runny boiled egg (first photo - sorry its a bit out of focus). 4 mins from fridge temperature produces an accident (second photo) - the fridge egg was woefully undercooked and I managed to tip it over! But you can see how undercooked the white is.

20171011_122639.jpg

20171011_122451.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom