The scourge of cheap chicken.

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
11:10 PM
I recently read an expose on production methods in the battery chicken and egg industries. I'm sure most of us have been aware of this issue for years. Maybe I had forgotten the specifics, or subconsciously buried them, but I shocked to be confronted with them again in vivid detail. It made last weekend's shopping trip to buy a chicken for Sunday lunch even more poignant. Tesco were selling their basic range birds for £4, poor, pathetic, scrawny creatures that would to feed three people. Similarly sized organic birds were £8, albeit with a better covering of meat, and would probably feed four. My interest in Tesco chicken was purely academic, for I was heading for a local farm shop, where a large organic chicken was purchased for £12. That splendid fowl yielded Sunday lunch for three people, repeated again on Monday night with leftovers, two chicken sandwiches for pack lunches on Wednesday, chicken fajitas for supper on Thursday, and some scraps left over for the dogs. That's £1.20 per portion. The Tesco value chicken that would struggle to feed three was £4. Do the maths, as they say. So when I see someone with a battery chicken in their shopping trolley I do feel a certain urge to beat them over the head with it - an attempt to dislodge the misguided "affordability" argument that props up a cruel and barbaric food production industry.

Its an interesting point of view - but I'm not sure I agree that the cheap chickens only feed three. I used to buy them sometimes and could feed at least 4. In fact, the welfare standards of poultry destined for the table are quite high in this country. Caged hens are only used for egg production not meat.(and that is increasingly uncommon). So all the chickens on the shelves are either raised in sheds or barns are free range/partially free range. Of course, one of the fears about Brexit is that welfare standards will change.

What I find most distressing is the fact that chickens are killed when only a few weeks old. A chicken can live happily for 7 or 8 years yet they are killed for the table at around at 8 weeks old, some as young as 35 days. So much for having a happy life! If I thought about it enough then I'd become vegetarian again.

The "cruel and barbaric" methods used in "organic" farming don't justify the cost of the final product.

How far would the three Tesco value chickens have gone for you?

A fairly recent addition to the household kitchen, has for years been used to give "organic" meat a fuller texture/look.

Cheapest chickens I've eaten would be a few pence. Raised free range, only locked in at night. Just the innards to clean out, pluck & clean up, after wringing it's neck.

Actually, it's the cruel and barbaric methods used in intensive rearing that don't justify the cost of the final product.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/24/real-cost-of-roast-chicken-animal-welfare-farms.

Three Tesco value chickens would have gone as far as the one organic chicken I bought, for little less cost. If you can't justify those extra few pence per portion, then eat less chicken. Or buy the value ones that have lived their short lives in a shed, standing in their own poo pourri in a space about the size of an A4 piece of paper, having had their beaks clipped to reduce cannibalism, routinely being fed on antibiotics and growth promoters that means that their legs can barely support their own weight, etc. etc. Your choice, your conscience to square.

I'm able to "square my conscience" fairly easily. I've seen free range, organic, "organic" & battery hens.

The word organic is bandied about too much these days, and as far as treatment goes, I've seen some horrendous ill treatment allowed because it's organic. The list of allowable treatment/foodstock is very limited. Cuts go untreated as they can't use antibiotics to treat them. Leads to infections which often spread to other birds.

I'll assume two things here, you pointed out what the chicken was "sat in" both to the store and the local enviromental health. And that the one you bought was three times the weight of the ones in Tesco's.

There are lots of strict rules and regulations regarding rearing organic poultry and livestock in the UK, and properly reared, healthy organic birds and animals don't need antibiotics. Any producer using anything that is not on the approved list loses its organic status immediately and I doubt whether many would risk it, given the number of years it takes to achieve organic status. There have been a few instances where using non-approved products when the reason is not the fault of the producer, and usually, but not always, special rules do apply in these circumstances. Most of the poultry (and meat, fruit and veg) I buy comes from trusted organic sources, or in some cases traceable sources. I tend to steer clear of anything not produced in the UK.

Penicillen isn't allowed as an antibiotic, to treat infections. Often required for treating minor cuts that happen fairly often on farms.

I won't argue the treatment of chickens mass produced VS free range/organic. I will comment on size and taste. The free range/organic chickens available in my area are much larger than mass produced chickens. There is no comparing the taste. Free range/organic chickens can actually be browned for smothered chicken or chicken and dumplings. The mass produced birds are so full of water that they boil instead of brown. The texture of the meat is also much better in free range/organic chickens.

As in the UK there are very strict guidelines for a product to be labeled free range or organic. There is a family in a neighboring community that that raises organic vegetables and free range/organic chickens. They sell there products at the Farmer's Market every weekend and from their farm on Tuesdays. They also sell to local farm to table restaurants. Their products are amazing. I am all for free range and organic.

My Mother's parents were share croppers. They grew cotton. Pop had a small herd of cattle. He had fields for hay to feed the cattle over winter. MawMaw had chickens, ducks, geese and guinea hens. Her fowl were free range and organic long before such terms were used.

I'm pretty ambivalent about the organic vs non-organic debate, personally I think a lot of the "organic" hype is a triumph of marketing.

But I do care a lot about whether my meat is free range because that is the main thing we can do to improve animal welfare. As much as possible we try to buy free range meat and eggs, I really ought to start buying free range milk too (that'd mean changing where we shop though).

@ElizabethB, trams, cocks or ricks/reeks for the hay?

I don't get the reference. I was very young when my Grands lived in the country. My memories are those of a young child spending time with her grandparents during the summer. I did not realize that they were share croppers living on the edge of poverty. To me the farm was a magical place. I was fascinated by the crops and the animals. I loved hunting eggs with MawMaw and "helping" Pop milk the cows.

I won't argue the treatment of chickens mass produced VS free range/organic. I will comment on size and taste. The free range/organic chickens available in my area are much larger than mass produced chickens. There is no comparing the taste. Free range/organic chickens can actually be browned for smothered chicken or chicken and dumplings. The mass produced birds are so full of water that they boil instead of brown. The texture of the meat is also much better in free range/organic chickens.

As in the UK there are very strict guidelines for a product to be labeled free range or organic. There is a family in a neighboring community that that raises organic vegetables and free range/organic chickens. They sell there products at the Farmer's Market every weekend and from their farm on Tuesdays. They also sell to local farm to table restaurants. Their products are amazing. I am all for free range and organic.

My Mother's parents were share croppers. They grew cotton. Pop had a small herd of cattle. He had fields for hay to feed the cattle over winter. MawMaw had chickens, ducks, geese and guinea hens. Her fowl were free range and organic long before such terms were used.
@ElizabethB, trams, cocks or ricks/reeks for the hay?
I don't get the reference. I was very young when my Grands lived in the country. My memories are those of a young child spending time with her grandparents during the summer. I did not realize that they were share croppers living on the edge of poverty. To me the farm was a magical place. I was fascinated by the crops and the animals. I loved hunting eggs with MawMaw and "helping" Pop milk the cows.
In the field making trams(About eight foot high) of the hay. Cocks would be smaller, a rick/reek would have been made of all the trams when ready.
2.jpg

I remember Pop and his neighbors sharing a hay bailer. In hind sight it probably belonged to the land owner. Most of Pop's neighbors were also share croppers. Made rectangular bales of hay. Stacked and stored to feed the cattle over winter.

I'm pretty ambivalent about the organic vs non-organic debate, personally I think a lot of the "organic" hype is a triumph of marketing.

But I do care a lot about whether my meat is free range because that is the main thing we can do to improve animal welfare. As much as possible we try to buy free range meat and eggs, I really ought to start buying free range milk too (that'd mean changing where we shop though).
There is still a difference between free range and organic. I prefer eating organic food wherever possible. Our local supermarket doesn't do much free range or indeed any organic milk. I don't have any stomach problems with organic whole milk, unlike the homogenised junk the supermarkets sell. Organic food has been around for a long time. Nearly all the food I had as a child was organic - my parents grew or reared most of it, so I knew it was. I think a lot of pesticides were used during the war to up the food production because of short supplies, and of course afterwards all fruit and veg seemed to come with DDT as one of the "ingredients". The farm my breakfast muesli comes from went entirely organic after the war and has continued to be so. Even when my Mum no longer reared chickens, she got poultry and eggs from a local farm which returned to being organic too. The price of the chicken was nothing to do with it being organic. In those days all chicken was expensive - it was a holiday treat. There was nothing nicer than a corn fed chicken anyway, even if it had been running round a farm yard the morning you bought it.

I recently read an expose on production methods in the battery chicken and egg industries. I'm sure most of us have been aware of this issue for years. Maybe I had forgotten the specifics, or subconsciously buried them, but I shocked to be confronted with them again in vivid detail. It made last weekend's shopping trip to buy a chicken for Sunday lunch even more poignant. Tesco were selling their basic range birds for £4, poor, pathetic, scrawny creatures that would to feed three people. Similarly sized organic birds were £8, albeit with a better covering of meat, and would probably feed four. My interest in Tesco chicken was purely academic, for I was heading for a local farm shop, where a large organic chicken was purchased for £12. That splendid fowl yielded Sunday lunch for three people, repeated again on Monday night with leftovers, two chicken sandwiches for pack lunches on Wednesday, chicken fajitas for supper on Thursday, and some scraps left over for the dogs. That's £1.20 per portion. The Tesco value chicken that would struggle to feed three was £4. Do the maths, as they say. So when I see someone with a battery chicken in their shopping trolley I do feel a certain urge to beat them over the head with it - an attempt to dislodge the misguided "affordability" argument that props up a cruel and barbaric food production industry.

One of the biggest problems our 'blue marble' planet faces is human over population. Birth control began to show up in the 70s, but you rarely hear about it these days. Even the pro-life/abortion issues have dwindled from the spot light. Intelligent people, concerned about their finances practice some control over limiting their progenation and so world population increases fastest among the poor and uneducated. Famines, social hardships and genocidal wars are the results. And genocidal warfare is in my mind a precursor to wars of global attrition. We have bigger things to worry about than chicken farming which appears to be a necessary evil to feed our burgeoning populations.

On the other hand, I have an appreciation for wild foods, venison, alligator, ocean, lake and river fish, turtle, crab, etc., etc. They now farm prawns, tilapia and other things and I am disappointed in the flavor. Free range chicken might in this respect be worth the price.

The other issue with farmed livestock, fruits, vegetables and grains is the introduction of hormones, pesticides and other chemical, enzyme and pesticide tinkering. Kids get asthma from strawberry fields. Diabetes is out of control. Child obesity? And we all remember mad cow disease. Psychologically, many people engage in self-abuse with alcohol, cigarettes, dope and other narcotics and their socializing has turned unhealthy in the form of social commiseration. We specialize in our work and careers and are often unable to choose healthy activities for our lifestyles after work. Kids commit suicide because both parents abandon them to school or their own doings, while both work to afford what they think makes their lives livable. Quality is sacrificed to quantity.

Honestly folks, we need to exercise good mental discipline and spiritual health in this world. You don't have to be religious. Self awareness is the heart of spiritual awareness. If you choose foods to preserve your health, take it further and discipline your minds to find quality and virtue in life and avoid succumbing to self abuse and commiseration.

We can't entirely avoid farmed foods and mass processing of chickens and turkeys will happen. I am reminded of the story of a woman who came up with a method of humanely treating cattle as they were processed for slaughter. I can't recall her name, but her methods were at first rejected by the beef industry, especially because she was a woman. But when finally put to action, those methods not only were more humane, but allowed easier processing, savings in time and labor and improvements in quality.

Intellectual application to solving problems is important, perhaps more so to future generations, than our own.

Back
Top Bottom