Things to make with a pumpkin

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
1:19 AM
I've been given a pumpkin. Does anyone have any recommendations? It's only usually available around Halloween here so I've not had much opportunity to experiment. I'm thinking soup. Or pie? I've never made pumpkin pie.

I've been given a pumpkin. Does anyone have any recommendations? It's only usually available around Halloween here so I've not had much opportunity to experiment. I'm thinking soup. Or pie? I've never made pumpkin pie.
It's also really nice when you roast it and then add it to a creamy, garlicky pasta sauce with sage

The usual thing to do is to cut a hole in top, hollow it out, throwing everything in the trash, carve a face with jagged teeth in one side, place a candle inside and put it on the front porch, lighting the candle at night. Replace the candle as necessary, right up to October 31st.

El Dia del Muerte Calabazas.
:laugh:

Ooohhh what did you decide?

I need to buy a small one this week. We normally have a whole roast pumpkin filled with fondue at Halloween.

It’s my own recipe but Not Quite Nigella has one on her blog.

1635307855166.jpeg

Last edited:
You can treat it the same way as butternut squash if you are familiar with that (I think you are because you posted a recipe using it once). Usually you would remove the skin of a pumpkin though, as it can be tough.

I’m thinking about making a Risotto or just pan-fried or roast pumpkin chunks with some aromatic herbs (garlic, thyme and sage and maybe a few chili pepper flakes too), then mix it with boiled rice. Or add all into a baking dish with a sprinkle of grated Parmigiano (or whatever cheese you prefer) and bake it

Hmmm... things to do with a pumpkin.
Soup, soup with red lentils, curry, or roast it with garlic and use it to make tortellini, served with sage butter, pumpkin fritters, or Greek savoury pumpkin pie.

The "pumpkin" we have back home in Jamaica is known to the rest of the world as Calabaza squash, different from the North American pumpkin so ubiquitous at this time of year. The yield is similar and the flavor is a bit less sweet. The most common use is to make soup, with either Chicken or beef as the protein component.

Lots of lovely ideas. Thank you. I'm not sure if it's an eating pumpkin Morning Glory I susspect not. I've just roasted half of it for soup for lunch (with onion, sage and garlic). I keep forgetting about that warm squash salad I posted on here, and a roast squash, onion and sage risotto which I've not made for years. I'm a bit limited as I'm currently caring for my parents so don't have all my spices with me. I'm thinking of trying a pumpkin pie. I would love to make a nice coconutty curry though.

Back
Top Bottom