tip for two

Raindrop

Local time
7:58 PM
Hello,

In cookbooks, I've often encountered an expression "tip for two". What does it mean? At first, I thought it refers to cooking for two (two meals/portions), but I've seen some examples where it clearly doesn't.

I'd be profoundly grateful for any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks,
Raindrop

Hi @morning glory and thank you :)

I've seen it in Toni Okamoto's The Super Easy Vegan Slow Cooker Cookbook.
Examples:
- from Sweet Potato Chili (page 52): TIPS FOR TWO: Serve this chili over brown rice to make it last several meals.
- from Ginger Curried Butternut Squash Soup (page 55): TIPS FOR TWO: To turn this soup into a hearty meal, pair it with a protein-rich salad, such as Quinoa-and-Bean Salad (page 9), and toasted whole-grain bread.
- and here:
http://www.eatingwell.com/article/9824/tips-for-two/

Thanks @morning glory
It's just the obsessive linguist in me that tries to get to the bottom of this :)

You are in the right place then. There are a few of us like that on this Forum (including me):laugh:. The more I think about it the more I believe it is simply an abbreviation of 'tips for two meals' . Its bad grammar if you ask me!

Welcome to Cooking Bites.

Tip has 2 meanings:

1) Suggestion for 2 people ..

2) The money that you shall give a bartender or waiter or waitress for their services or a taxi driver etcetra ..

Thanks @morning glory

No, I'm just a vegetarian aspiring to become a vegan. I often cook and eat all-vegan meals, but I love cheese too much to just quit it.

I know what you mean. Eggs and cheese are hard to substitute. Can you get vegan cheese where you are? In the UK there is one brand which is pretty good.

1) Suggestion for 2 people ..

Tip doesn't mean that. A tip is just 'a hack' or 'advice' and the phrase 'tips for two' in this context is being used to mean tips for using food twice. It has nothing to do with tips for making a recipe for two (which is what one might think!). That is pretty obvious from the link. I think its a clumsy and misleading phrase!

Back
Top Bottom