Tipping/Gratuities

kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
4:16 PM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
I was aware that you should tip people for good service, assisting you and so on.
I always give a tip to:
Porters
Cab drivers
Hair dresser
Housekeeping
Maid Service
... to name a few.

What I did not know was that I should have been giving a gratuity to what I found out is a "Curbie", the folks that bring out your curbside pickups.
Since the SIP was put in place, what, 2-3 years ago, I have utilized this service regularly for my own household as well my Mother's.
I did a pick up the other day and for the very first time, I waited 30 minutes for my groceries, very unusual.
As I sat in the parking lot, I watched several other cars pull in, get their goods and hand the employee a tip ... WHAT?!
Why didn't someone tell me this? Is this why I had to ask where was my delivery THREE TIMES? Do they keep a "she doesn't tip, take your time on her order" list?

I rarely use subside pickup for groceries, and never tip. I have done it for curbside pickup of restaurant foods. That is often done by a waiter, and in Texas, waiter's live off of tips, since their minimum wage is about $2.50/hour.

CD

More than likely.
As I was sitting in my blazing hot car during the Summer in Arizona, waiting for my groceries and watching these other folks who came after I did, gotta be!!!
When this curbside-sorta-business first started, I went to Walmart and I asked the nice kid if I could give him some money, he replied that they were not suppose to do so ... so I never thought about it again.

I rarely use subside pickup for groceries, and never tip. I have done it for curbside pickup of restaurant foods. That is often done by a waiter, and in Texas, waiter's live off of tips, since their minimum wage is about $2.50/hour.

CD
It depends on where I'm getting a restaurant pick-up from.
We have a BBQ joint (they now have three of them in the area) that does not share tips off of credit cards with the employees
:o_o:

Kroger is adamant about allowing no tipping for their curbside workers, and the one time I tried, they flatly refused:

IMG_6055.jpeg

Restaurant curbside delivery, I imagine, would be a different story. I’ve never ordered curbside from a restaurant, but I’d assume if it’s a place you’d normally tip, like a sit-down place, then tipping would be fine, but if it’s a fast food place, then no real need to do so, but it would possibly be welcomed.

Kroger is adamant about allowing no tipping for their curbside workers, and the one time I tried, they flatly refused:

View attachment 105681

Restaurant curbside delivery, I imagine, would be a different story. I’ve never ordered curbside from a restaurant, but I’d assume if it’s a place you’d normally tip, like a sit-down place, then tipping would be fine, but if it’s a fast food place, then no real need to do so, but it would possibly be welcomed.
WHAT?!

It was Fry's aka Kroger's that I went to and saw them being tipped and passing me by ... :headshake:HMMMM!

View attachment 105681

Like I said, Texas is NOT a worker-friendly state. Profits are for business owners, executives, and shareholders, NOT for the riff-raff that do all the actual work.

CD

When this curbside-sorta-business first started, I went to Walmart and I asked the nice kid if I could give him some money, he replied that they were not suppose to do so ... so I never thought about it again.

They aren't at Walmart. I've offered and been turned down with a no thank, we're not allowed.

I've had tips turned down at Home Depot as well, but other times they will take tips.

The ladies that we use for housecleaning, for our home and my Mother's apartment, I tip them on every visit, which is once a month.
$10 for our house (1500 square feet) and $5 for Mom's place (about 700 square feet).
I'd rather do that than wait until the end of year and give them a Christmas bonus.

Maybe management there doesn’t enforce it?

Fry’s shows the same thing:
View attachment 105682

Why do I feel like I just got a bunch of Fry’s workers in trouble? :laugh:
DH wants me to make a written complaint to Fry's aka Kroger's, but that one gal didn't have a name tag on.
And as I thinking about it, she was the only one of the worker-bees that got tipped. She was the very one that I contacted that "I have arrived" with my stall number ... THIRTY MINUTES later, I see her LEAVE!
:meh:
Still no groceries!
I go INSIDE the delivery bay and ask where's my stuff?

Back
Top Bottom