To Tent or Not to Tent

You cook a lovely piece of meat. It needs to rest. Do you tent with foil or not? Why? I tent because the meat keeps warm.

I've changed my method in the last year on how I cook steaks.

I usually only cook with a Bone in Tomahawk Ribeye/Cowboy steak. I usually use a 3 to 3.5 pound steak which easily feeds five of us.

I use the charcoal grill. I use the indirect heat method until the steak reaches 105 degrees. Then I wrap it in foil and let it rest for 10 to 12 minutes depending on the size of the steak. After it rests I sear each side for 90 seconds directly over the coals. Then we eat immediately. The steak is always hot. I "rested" the steak earlier in the process.

I've changed my method in the last year on how I cook steaks.

I usually only cook with a Bone in Tomahawk Ribeye/Cowboy steak. I usually use a 3 to 3.5 pound steak which easily feeds five of us.

I use the charcoal grill. I use the indirect heat method until the steak reaches 105 degrees. Then I wrap it in foil and let it rest for 10 to 12 minutes depending on the size of the steak. After it rests I sear each side for 90 seconds directly over the coals. Then we eat immediately. The steak is always hot. I "rested" the steak earlier in the process.
With a big hunk of steak like yours I'll reverse sear which is basically cooking the steak in the oven with a lower heat to a desired internal temp then pan sear with herbs of choice, butter and garlic. Works well.

With a big hunk of steak like yours I'll reverse sear which is basically cooking the steak in the oven with a lower heat to a desired internal temp then pan sear with herbs of choice, butter and garlic. Works well.
That’s usually what I do as well, including my holiday standing rib roast.

That works. I prefer using the charcoal grill. Adds another level of flavor to it.

Since I sous vide my steaks, I end up "reverse searing." I don't like that method on the charcoal grill. I tried it a few times, and overcooked my steaks a little. There was only a small area in the middle that was medium rare.

CD

I don't like that method on the charcoal grill.

I'm not going to lie. It was definitely trial and error. By the third time I had perfected it. A couple of key things. Same size steak. I usually try to get one in the 3.5 pound range. I use an internal thermometer and set it for 105%. I rest if for 12 minutes, Sear every side for exactly 90 seconds.

Anyone have a link with proper tenting? Im too nervous to Google "Tenting Meat"
Tenting is the same as covering. If it's a small piece of protein and the thought is to rest for say 5 minutes, that then could result in a less than warm entre. If it's say, a very thick steak for 2 and is 1 and 1/2" inches thick and cooked to medium then more moisture will have been released on the interior of the steak which will need more rest time than say a med rare steak that has been cooked less. The other end of the spectrum where a turkey has been roasted I've covered completely with tinfoil and have rested it for 2 hours. So basically it depends on density and doneness for whether we just throw a piece of tinfoil and drape over the protein or wrap completely.

Back
Top Bottom