The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
8:27 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_0496.JPG

I really should have focused on the presentation, rather than the science experiment aspect of this treatment. Ever since I first made this recipe, I can't get enough of it. A ceviche uses the acidity of the citrus to "cook" the fish without using heat. The result is a refreshing preparation that can be enjoyed in a variety of different ways. The photograph shows what the fish looked like to begin with (in the bag), and what it looks like after 15 minutes of reacting to the lime juice (in the container).

While I specify ingredients below, there's a phenomenal variety on different ways to make a ceviche:

The Fish - Lighter fish always works best; things like swordfish end up a bit too firm to be enjoyed in this way. And, ceviche can be made with just about any seafood (shrimp, scallops, etc): if it can be made into a sushi, it can be made into a ceviche. Having said that, I've only made ceviche with fish (so far).

The Acid - I love lime juice, so that's what I usually use. But, a ceviche can be done with lemon juice, too. I've never done it, but other citrus (like oranges and grapefruit) can also be used. Combining them is also an interesting variation.

The Other Bits - Here's where things get fun. I've used fresh rosemary, sliced ginger, basil, Brussels sprouts, and numerous different peppers in ceviches. The only time I regretted what I added was when I decided to add balsamic vinegar: though it was still good, it overpowered the other elements. Feel free to experiment!

One More Thing - the fish in a ceviche is completely safe to eat as long as it's been allowed to soak in the citrus for at least 15 minutes. However, leaving it in the liquid for too long will cause it to break down, which isn't pleasant, even though it's safe. If you're still not sure, please read this excellent article.

Ingredients

1 lb trout
4 ounces lime juice
1 ounce apple cider vinegar
1 serrano pepper
2 ounces red onions, sliced
1 medum garlic clove, sliced
1 ounce fresh dill or 1 ounce cilantro

Directions
  1. Trim any skin from the trout. Slice trout into pieces. The thicker the fish, the longer it will need to soak in the lime juice. Ideally, the pieces should me no more than 1/2 inch thick.
  2. Cut onion and pepper into thin slices. Chop dill or cilantro into small pieces.
  3. Place trout pieces in a container deep enough that all pieces will be covered by the lime juice. Mix lime juice, apple vinegar, onion, garlic and pepper slices, and shredded dill or cilantro thoroughly.
  4. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Drain liquids. Enjoy on crackers, in a tortilla, or by itself.

MARTINABASSCEVICHE425039_208313625982652_241359829_n.jpg

@The Late Night Gourmet,

Ceviche with trout ! Very experimental .. Fascinating preparation. The presentation ! Well, I am hoping you served in lovely crystal glass bowls !!! Surely, there must be some 2nd hand shops about your City .. Some vintage or depression glass are lovely uses for Ceviche ..

Photo: This is a Mediterranean Sea Bass Ceviche appetiser ..

Normally, I use "crevettes", a very jumbo sized Mediterranean / Atlantic southern coast of Spain & Brittany, French species of Prawns ( Aristeidae) & Sea Scallops & Squid or Baby Octopus. I also employ Canary Island Limes, a "tiny cayenne" crumbled and Italian Red Sweet Horn Pepper minced too .. A tiny bit of Cilantro minced.

Here is one of my appetisers I had made awhile back for one of the holidays ..

Last edited:
@The Late Night Gourmet,

Ceviche with trout ! Very experimental .. Fascinating preparation. The presentation ! Well, I am hoping you served in lovely crystal glass bowls !!! Surely, there must be some 2nd hand shops about your City .. Some vintage or depression glass are lovely uses for Ceviche ..
I was hoping you'd respond: while ceviche apparently originated in Latin America, I figured it was also known in Spain.

And yes, I do have better ways to present this. The silly thing is that I have a tilapia ceviche in the refrigerator now, so I could have made a better effort. I'm posting this while at work, and the above was the only picture I took. Your picture looks like the kind I'd get at a fine restaurant. :thumbsup:

I was hoping you'd respond: while ceviche apparently originated in Latin America, I figured it was also known in Spain.

And yes, I do have better ways to present this. The silly thing is that I have a tilapia ceviche in the refrigerator now, so I could have made a better effort. I'm posting this while at work, and the above was the only picture I took. Your picture looks like the kind I'd get at a fine restaurant. :thumbsup:

@The Late Night Gourmet

Yes, my Ceviche is Peruvian .. It is not Spanish though there are some Peruvian Restaurants in quite a number in Madrid particulary and Barcelona lesser ..

I could give you the breakdown of the Sea Bass ingredients. Varies and has nuances to your´s .. Though some of the ingredients are similar ..

I shall do ! Patience ..

Have a lovely day ..

@The Late Night Gourmet

Author of the Recipe is Peruvian Chef Gastron Acurio of The Book: Phaidon: Peru, The Cookbook and his Restaurant Gaston & Astrid in Lima, Peru.

This is the Ceviche & The Marinade, I made with Mediterranean Seabass: ( For 2 People )

6 ounces of Seabass, Corvina or Grouper ( or similar )

2 cloves of garlic smashed

2 Limo ( Peruvian Aji Chili Pepper ) or Habanero from Mexico

1 tablesp of fresh minced cilantro

1 tiny red onion minced

2 Limes for the Juice

That is all ..

He has a wide variety of Ceviche récipes in his book. I personally know him as he owns 2 restaurants in Spain and I have brought my tour groups to his one in Madrid Capital & my husband and I have been to the one in Barcelona a few tmes ..

@The Late Night Gourmet,

Author: Chef Gaston Acurio

For 4 People:

This Ceviche Recipe is for Grouper or Corvina ..

1 corn ear of kernels
1 red bell diced finely
1 kilo of grouper or seabass
1 / 2 red onion minced
1/2 mango diced
6 large limes
Evoo - 150 Ml.
1 Medium size Avocado Diced
salt and pepper
Aji Chili pepper
1 tiny Boniato peeled and diced ( An African / Latin American Sweet White Potato .. ) *** It is not an orange pumpkin colored Yam ..
a bunch of minced cilantro - 1 / 3 cup or 1 / 2 cup
1 glass of Shellfish or Clam or Prawn Stock

Marinate ..

Enjoy.
Have a lovely evening ..

Last edited:
@The Late Night Gourmet

Author of the Recipe is Peruvian Chef Gastron Acurio of The Book: Phaidon: Peru, The Cookbook and his Restaurant Gaston & Astrid in Lima, Peru.
I'm happy to see that my recipe wasn't far off from his. The funny thing is, I forgot that I put vinegar in my recipe...I don't always use it.

What does he say about the amount of time for the fish to be in the marinade? The article I linked in my first post experimented with different amounts of time. I find 15 minutes to be what I prefer, with 30-60 minutes also being good. When I made it the first few times, I let it stay in the marinade if I didn't use it all in the first preparation. But then, the fish gets mushy.

View attachment 8539

I really should have focused on the presentation, rather than the science experiment aspect of this treatment. Ever since I first made this recipe, I can't get enough of it. A ceviche uses the acidity of the citrus to "cook" the fish without using heat. The result is a refreshing preparation that can be enjoyed in a variety of different ways. The photograph shows what the fish looked like to begin with (in the bag), and what it looks like after 15 minutes of reacting to the lime juice (in the container).

While I specify ingredients below, there's a phenomenal variety on different ways to make a ceviche:

The Fish - Lighter fish always works best; things like swordfish end up a bit too firm to be enjoyed in this way. And, ceviche can be made with just about any seafood (shrimp, scallops, etc): if it can be made into a sushi, it can be made into a ceviche. Having said that, I've only made ceviche with fish (so far).

The Acid - I love lime juice, so that's what I usually use. But, a ceviche can be done with lemon juice, too. I've never done it, but other citrus (like oranges and grapefruit) can also be used. Combining them is also an interesting variation.

The Other Bits - Here's where things get fun. I've used fresh rosemary, sliced ginger, basil, Brussels sprouts, and numerous different peppers in ceviches. The only time I regretted what I added was when I decided to add balsamic vinegar: though it was still good, it overpowered the other elements. Feel free to experiment!

One More Thing - the fish in a ceviche is completely safe to eat as long as it's been allowed to soak in the citrus for at least 15 minutes. However, leaving it in the liquid for too long will cause it to break down, which isn't pleasant, even though it's safe. If you're still not sure, please read this excellent article.

Ingredients

1 lb trout
4 ounces lime juice
1 ounce apple cider vinegar
1 serrano pepper
2 ounces red onions, sliced
1 medum garlic clove, sliced
1 ounce fresh dill or 1 ounce cilantro

Directions
  1. Trim any skin from the trout. Slice trout into pieces. The thicker the fish, the longer it will need to soak in the lime juice. Ideally, the pieces should me no more than 1/2 inch thick.
  2. Cut onion and pepper into thin slices. Chop dill or cilantro into small pieces.
  3. Place trout pieces in a container deep enough that all pieces will be covered by the lime juice. Mix lime juice, apple vinegar, onion, garlic and pepper slices, and shredded dill or cilantro thoroughly.
  4. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Drain liquids. Enjoy on crackers, in a tortilla, or by itself.

I like it @The Late Night Gourmet! I was wondering if this marinated trout can go well with cold rice (like rice salad)..

I like it @The Late Night Gourmet! I was wondering if this marinated trout can go well with cold rice (like rice salad)..
That's an excellent idea, and one that I think would work very well. I did try my ceviche as part of a "cold taco", with lettuce and tomato, and it was good. But, I think your suggestion might be even better. Or, maybe I can add cold rice to the taco? :pepper:

That's an excellent idea, and one that I think would work very well. I did try my ceviche as part of a "cold taco", with lettuce and tomato, and it was good. But, I think your suggestion might be even better. Or, maybe I can add cold rice to the taco? :pepper:

Why not?! Cold rice added to taco sounds good..it's very long time I don't eat taco or tortillas...
Anyway, nice recipe your trout chevice. I like trout more than salmon or other fishes but a lot of people here aren't a big fans of it.

Back
Top Bottom