• Crackers or breadsticks: 2 to 3
  • Eggs: 1
  • (optional) Almonds, peeled: about 1 tbsp
  • Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
  • Extra virgin olive oil: to taste
  • Black pepper, in grains: to taste
  • Salt: to taste
Method

Set aside some rocket leaves for garnishing. Put the remaining rocket in a food processor, along with the crackers, 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tsp of turmeric powder, salt and pepper to taste. Add the almonds to the rest of the ingredients if you normally find rocket to be a bit too bitter for your taste. Process until the ingredients are blended together in a crumbly mixture.

Spread the rocket crumbs on a large plate and beat up the egg in a shallow bowl.

Dip the tuna steaks in the egg and then lay them on the crumbs. Gently press the steaks down with your fingers to ensure a thorough and homogeneous breading.

Fry the steaks for about 2 minutes on each side in a large pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Serve warm on a bed or rocket leaves, with a glass of chilled Prosecco.

Buon appetito!

Tip: Do not overcook the tuna: it would become dry and chewy. If the center of the meat is still red or pink, then the tuna is cooked to perfection and still retains some nutritional elements that would be otherwise lost, like the Omega 3.

Tuna-steaks-in-rocket-breadcrumbs.jpg

Last edited:
I adore the taste of rucola - I'm not sure that I'd want to 'dilute' the taste of rocket with almonds. On the other hand, the combination of flavours does sound interesting. Tuna, rocket, almonds and turmeric - oh, yes...

What a mouth-watering photo that is !

Another great idea

I adore the taste of rucola - I'm not sure that I'd want to 'dilute' the taste of rocket with almonds. On the other hand, the combination of flavours does sound interesting. Tuna, rocket, almonds and turmeric - oh, yes...

What a mouth-watering photo that is !

Another great idea

thank you very much, I'm glad you like it. I love rocket and I always keep it in the fridge, so some time ago I had the idea to "recycle" it in a different way and I made an attempt. I must say that this breading did not disappoint me at all.
I like to take pictures so closely that one almost enters the picture and wants to try

Rocket?

I usually only use lemon zest, salt and pepper. I cook my tuna steaks rare. Less, than more per side.

These do look pretty good.

Thank you so much, Pinchey ( sounds like a good nickname :hug:)

We make seared tuna often, but I'm tiring of making the same old Asian inspired way. That is I simply seasoned them with s&p, pan sear or sear on a grill, then serve with either a Japanese soy and wasabi sauce, or a Chinese soy, ginger, and peanut sauce.

A nice, crunchy breading looks so good. :chef: Will definitely give it a go.

Thank you so much, Pinchey ( sounds like a good nickname :hug:)

We make seared tuna often, but I'm tiring of making the same old Asian inspired way. That is I simply seasoned them with s&p, pan sear or sear on a grill, then serve with either a Japanese soy and wasabi sauce, or a Chinese soy, ginger, and peanut sauce.

A nice, crunchy breading looks so good. :chef: Will definitely give it a go.

Usually the tuna I cook it and I eat it simply seared in a pan, without sauces (I'm not a big fan of accompanying sauces, a part some exceptions) only with a salad (often of rocket salad) or even with a breading with dried fruit such as pistachios or chopped walnuts.
Thanks Bucky, I'm glad you'll try it, I hope you like it.
Pinchey :)

Back
Top Bottom