Tupperware

I have a double wide cabinet with two and 1/4 shelves of plastic containers. I have several old Tupperware containers that date back to the 70's and 80's. They are worth the money. The pieces that I have look like they did when I purchased them. The other containers - Rubbermaid and Zip Lock - are stained and discolored. You have inspired me to go on a mission - replace my containers with Tupperware - one piece per month - until that is all I have in my cabinet. :dance: Thanks.

We still have some old Tupperware, but mostly there's a maddening array of containers from takeout. Somehow none of the lids match any of the containers.

I have started to buy a newish brand called Lock-n-lock that has a rubber grommet and locking tabs. It really does work better than run of the mill containers.

I have started to buy a newish brand called Lock-n-lock that has a rubber grommet and locking tabs. It really does work better than run of the mill containers.
They sound similar to the ones we are now using for the very same reason.
sistema-1.jpg

We pick them up at Christmas when they have plenty of special offers on them because they are not cheap. Otherwise we use the Lakeland ones we brought out from the UK but you can't see the contents as easily with those and their sizes are problematic with the food we eat (freezing quiche slices in them is difficult with the sizes we have, so the Sistema ones work better for us, though our current range is less useful with soups which the Lakeland ones are ideal for).

We still have some old Tupperware, but mostly there's a maddening array of containers from takeout. Somehow none of the lids match any of the containers.

Lids and containers are always an issue. At one time I stored all of my containers lid on. I had 3 shelves of a double wide cabinet filled with containers. I revamped my system. I use a box cut down to fit in a space 14" wide on my second shelf. I did cover the box with craft paper because I wanted it to look pretty. That is for my lids. I do have them somewhat organized by size. The bottom shelf is for the containers. Stacked. On the second shelf with the lid box I have 4 large containers and a collection of ramekins. That little bit of organization freed up the top shelf for things like jelly jars, serving dishes and the vacuum machine.

We tease my Mother about her "Butter Ware" - her collection of containers collected from packaged foods.

We found these a few months ago. Sturdy but expensive.

J Micron Ware.jpg

J Micron Ware s.jpg

My sourdough "mother" is living quite happily in a 1970s Tupperware bowl with a lid. I have another slightly smaller one which comes out when I make my stiff starter. Ideal size for both.

My sourdough "mother" is living quite happily in a 1970s Tupperware bowl with a lid. I have another slightly smaller one which comes out when I make my stiff starter. Ideal size for both.

That's interesting. Every time I see pictures of sourdough starters they seem to be in kilner type jars which always strikes me as odd as it must be difficult to get the starter out and mix extra flour etc in.

That's interesting. Every time I see pictures of sourdough starters they seem to be in kilner type jars which always strikes me as odd as it must be difficult to get the starter out and mix extra flour etc in.
You can make the starter in anything you like, so long as you can tighten the lid or seal the container (with a plastic lid, or cling film) when it goes in the fridge. While the starter is being made or is being fed, the lid only has to perch on the container rather than being done up.

My mom had tons. I have kept most of it but most i have moved out of the kitchen and into storing nonfood items and moved food storage to glass. I still use the large cake keepers and pie keepers to store my single serve hurricane supply take with me in case of a disaster food. I find that as the tupperware has aged(and she had some from the 1950's) that they picked up a funny smell and no amount of soaking would take out so thats why i decided they would better serve me outside the kitchen. Mom would be so disappointed...sorry mom.

I find that as the tupperware has aged(and she had some from the 1950's) that they picked up a funny smell and no amount of soaking would take out

I found that with my 1950s Tupperware too, but the later stuff (from the 1970s) seems to be made from a different plastic and doesn't have that problem. I still use one of the 1950s ones but without the lid. It makes a good mixing bowl when only a small one will do :laugh:

My mom had tons. I have kept most of it but most i have moved out of the kitchen and into storing nonfood items and moved food storage to glass. I still use the large cake keepers and pie keepers to store my single serve hurricane supply take with me in case of a disaster food. I find that as the tupperware has aged(and she had some from the 1950's) that they picked up a funny smell and no amount of soaking would take out so thats why i decided they would better serve me outside the kitchen. Mom would be so disappointed...sorry mom.

So did I! I.I lost lost it all through years of moving here & there. I'd like to buy some of the stuff back!! :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom