Turkey vs. Chicken

On balance we prefer chicken but at Christmas we try for goose - if you've never tried it it really is worth the effort.
However it can be greasy - if necessary cook it on a rack above the roasting pan to avoid it sitting in it's own fat.

What do you guys prefer? In my opinion, the softness and tenderness of turkey beats chicken all the time. Although this kind of meat costs a bit more then chicken usually, it is well worth it. Just compare turkey breast with chicken breast. While turkey breast literally grows when fried and has a very natural and nice taste, chicken breast becomes dry and tasteless without huge amounts of seasoning.
I think turkey is a bit more interesting than chicken too. It somehow tastes more satisfying. Maybe it is just because I am used to eating it at Thanksgiving that I find it more satisfying, since I assoiciate it with a delicious meal, but I do sometimes have it during the year as well. I also buy ground turkey alot because it has less fat than beef, and is usually cheaper.

Turkey, a good turkey, has a very slightly more gamey flavour than chicken Having said that, Recently, I ate a wonderful chicken dish in a restaurant in France, which tasted very gamey. It turned out to be an elderly cockerel which I think had been hung for a while. The taste eclipsed any turkey I've ever had!

Eh turkey costs a lot where I live so I buy chicken on the daily. Chicken is really good when you know how to roast it well, with a lot of butter and rosemary. We only have turkey in my home on special occassions like thanksgiving or someone's birthday. I like the dark meat best on turkeys and it has less cholesterol than chicken.

For me these days it's much of a muchness - both are things I like. Funnily enough when I was a child though I hated turkey and would only eat chicken. I think I was just kind of freaked out by the outward appearance of turkeys and didn't want to eat one!

In our country, we only eat turkey's during the holidays. We would raise our turkey at the right time then get it ready for our Christmas holidays. Since we had homegrown turkey, it was delicious for us. However, having lived in Canada for a few years before moving back home, I find that turkey is eaten rather like chicken on a weekly basis. I find also that the turkey doesnt have as much taste as it usually does. So my answer would be our home raised turkey, or if not, regular chicken.

Turkey is not a common meat in our home country. Though, turkey meat is sold in supermarket, it is usually imported meat product. Commercial farming of turkey has just began on the country. I have never tasted turkey. However, chicken is very popular meat variety I the country. I have a chicken coop and my need for chicken for the entire year is fulfilled by my coop.

Back
Top Bottom