UK automotive terms

blades

Local time
8:46 AM
I've heard most of the British automotive terms like boot, bonnet, wing, wind screen etc but I heard a new one today for the first time in my life. It is shooting brake which appears to be a term for a station wagon. Even at my age I learn something new every day.

I'm not sure many younger people in the UK would know what a shooting brake was although it may well be a class thing. I'm not young at all and although I know the term I wasn't really sure what it meant so had to look it up. I think its a bit of an old fashioned term.

Talking of differences in car terms, there is the spelling of 'tires' - we spell it 'tyres' here in the UK.

What do you call a windscreen in the US?

but I heard a new one today for the first time in my life
How about an American one, courtesy of my grandmom and my mom: flivver - that’s a car, but a sort of beat-up, well-used one.

We’d call that a windshield. Or a bug catcher. :wink:

It is shooting brake which appears to be a term for a station wagon. Even at my age I learn something new every day.

This has always been my take on a "shooting brake".

Shooting brake.jpg

I'm not sure many younger people in the UK would know what a shooting brake was although it may well be a class thing. I'm not young at all and although I know the term I wasn't really sure what it meant so had to look it up. I think its a bit of an old fashioned term.

Talking of differences in car terms, there is the spelling of 'tires' - we spell it 'tyres' here in the UK.

A shooting brake is a term used in the classic car world for a type of car that are somewhat like a station wagon. Today, a station wagon would more likely be referred to as an "estate."

As for tires/tyres, the original spelling was tire, both here and in the UK. Later, the British changed it to tyre because it was "More British," or something like that.

A windscreen in the US is a windshield. Your bonnet is a hood here, and your hood is a roof here. :laugh:

CD

Back
Top Bottom