UK automotive terms

Do you use the term handbrake in the US?

Yes, if it is a lever you pull with your hand. If it is engaged by a foot pedal, it is a parking brake, or emergency brake. Many cars now have an electronic parking/emergency brake (my Audi does). There is just a switch on the console.

CD

This has always been my take on a "shooting brake".

Bentley?

That would be an early shooting brake. Later on, the were more likely to be a sports car with an extended cargo area. Here is a classic Jaguar XJS Shooting Brake, and a concept vehicle from Jaguar based on the current F-Type.

1690358553431.png

1690358572023.png

CD

Upon further reading the shooting brake appears to be a two door station wagon while an estate wagon has 4 passenger doors. The term developed from the days of horse drawn carriages when there were coaches designed for hunters to use. Here is an image of an Aston Martin DB5 shooting brake. Notice that it only has two passenger doors. Caseydog's images show the same arrangement.

1965-Aston-Martin-DB5-Shooting-Brake-by-Radford-2.jpg

There were shooting breaks made in America as well such as this 1947 Mercury woodie. Of course it wasn't called a shooting brake.

thumb-1920-196771.jpg

Two countries separated by a common language. I've been involved with British sports cars, most notably Triumphs, for decades. I've heard about all the differing terms over the years, from bonnet to boot and all that comes between! And that picture of a "Woody" is very nice! Can't quite make out the details, don't recognize the marque.

mjb.

Two countries separated by a common language. I've been involved with British sports cars, most notably Triumphs, for decades. I've heard about all the differing terms over the years, from bonnet to boot and all that comes between! And that picture of a "Woody" is very nice! Can't quite make out the details, don't recognize the marque.

mjb.

That's a Mercury, circa 1950-ish. It was a somewhat upscale brand for Ford -- between Ford and Lincoln. Mercury is not around anymore.

CD

Yes, I know the Mercury Woody, I was wondering about the photo posted by Yorky, with the green bonnet and wings. Definitely looks high end, like Bentley or Rolls.

mjb.

I forgot about a couple of "shooting brakes" that actually made it into production in the last 20 years.

First, the BMW M3 Coupe, AKA: "Dork" and "Clownshoe."

1690726532293.png

And, the Ferrari FF, an ugly but really fast "shooting brake" based on the F599, with a V-12 up front, and all-wheel drive that featured TWO separate transmissions instead of one transmission and a transfer case. They were almost $400K, and not many were sold.

1690726733710.png

CD

Back
Top Bottom