Ukraine

I'm so sad for the 40 million Ukrainians; I'm too sad and frightened to do really anything - not least because of our tragic family history regarding bombings and front lines in WW2. I haven't cooked much and I've been down for many weeks: somehow I've felt this is coming.

Finland is currently the only western neighbor of Russia which is not part of NATO. Our land border with Russia is 1340 km (~830 miles). Under these circumstances - hearing the hostile speeches the mad swine-eyed dog is giving about NATO's spread to the east - we're going to have a tough time forwarding NATO membership negotiations in the future. EU membership gives us no safety guarantee.

Norway has been a NATO member for ages. Our worst fear is that our western neighbor Sweden would be accepted as NATO member in the near future but Finland would be considered a risk both from the western and eastern viewpoint - especially after the current incidents.

We fear that we'd be left on our own: a forgotten bumper region; a tiny, globally irrelevant forestland with only a few million people. It doesn't help that our president and ministers give speeches underlining that at this moment(!) Finland is not under any direct military threat.

Kiev is situated nearer to Helsinki than some parts of the Finnish Lapland. If the deranged megalomaniac pygm keeps in power, where do you think he might feel is need for "protection" against a negative stance or hostile attitude (which, in Russian, is described as genocide) towards less than 30 000 Russian or dual Finnish Russian nationals and some 100 000 Russian speaking Finns and "protection" for the possible enlargement of NATO to the east?

I don't think the crazy tiger hunter wants to remember that Finland was occupied by Russians only for a short period during 1809-1917. Sweden has been our long-time companion, occupier and conqueror - and the main source of our current legal, cultural, religional and scholar system (together with Germany, Norway and Estonia). To some measure, the 19th century, pre-revolutionary Russia treated us better than Sweden - by giving us autonomy (and not treating us only as a buffer zone unworthy to protect) - but we have no linguistic, cultural, historic or genetic connections to contemporary Russians. The Baltic countries share a bit of our linguistic history. Finns have gathered here from south, southeast and west since the last glacial period 10 000 years ago. We're a small but distinct people with a long-standing folk culture. There is an old Finnish proverb: "We are not Swedes, we do not want to become Russians, so let us be Finns".

Finland holds no special natural resources. We would not offer Russia access to new sea areas or any particularly valuable strategic observation points. We've served foreign occupiers tirelessly for centuries and built a safe and technically and economically advanced society since our independence in 1917. We have nothing more to offer than honesty, dignity and negotiation skills, pure nature and cared for woodlands, well kept, modest houses, functional infrastructure, beautiful lakes, a small and thriving society, a globally praised education system - and most important: a functioning and free democracy with human rights. The happiest people in the world - until now.

Older Finns remember how the Finnish Karelia looked and smelled like and how the houses, roads, parks and electric wires were kept before Russians took over. Now the same area, the Russian Karelian republic, looks and smells like shit. We remember how the Russians deprived us from minerals and seabed oil by taking our "right northern hand"; the Petsamo area, the only access Finns had to the Arctic Sea, in WW2 - not to mention the tiny Porkkala post-war "compulsory military rental area" (1944-1956) on the southern coast, which was held by Russians just long enough to have every seaside villa pretty much destroyed. The Russians even turned some houses into outhouses: they drilled a hole on the second floor and defecated downstairs. That's the essence of Russian people - at least the military, aggressive gang filled with manipulative thoughts and stimulants. I know that the Russians love their children, too. I don't have to hear that from Sting or read that on the front page of Pravda. The Russians are just collectively stupid: giving power to morons.

We all know who hates and fears democracy above all else. Please pray for us. If the hunt is still on when the war in Ukraine is finished, the wolves might turn their snouts to the north. 😔

Last edited:
I'm so sad for the 40 million Ukrainians; I'm too sad and frightened to do really anything - not least because of our tragic family history regarding bombings and front lines in WW2. I haven't cooked much and I've been down for many weeks: somehow I've felt this is coming.

Finland is currently the only western neighbor of Russia which is not part of NATO. Our land border with Russia is 1340 km (~830 miles). Under these circumstances - hearing the hostile speeches the mad swine-eyed dog is giving about NATO's spread to the east - we're going to have a tough time forwarding NATO membership negotiations in the future. EU membership gives us no safety guarantee.

Norway has been a NATO member for ages. Our worst fear is that our western neighbor Sweden would be accepted as NATO member in the near future but Finland would be considered a risk both from the western and eastern viewpoint - especially after the current incidents.

We fear that we'd be left on our own: a forgotten bumper region; a tiny, globally irrelevant forestland with only a few million people. It doesn't help that our president and ministers give speeches underlining that at this moment(!) Finland is not under any direct military threat.

Kiev is situated nearer to Helsinki than some parts of the Finnish Lapland. If the deranged megalomaniac pygm keeps in power, where do you think he might feel is need for "protection" against a negative stance or hostile attitude (which, in Russian, is described as genocide) towards less than 30 000 Russian or dual Finnish Russian nationals and some 100 000 Russian speaking Finns and "protection" for the possible enlargement of NATO to the east?

I don't think the crazy tiger hunter wants to remember that Finland was occupied by Russians only for a short period during 1809-1917. Sweden has been our long-time companion, occupier and conqueror - and the main source of our current legal, cultural, religional and scholar system (together with Germany, Norway and Estonia). To some measure, the 19th century, pre-revolutionary Russia treated us better than Sweden - by giving us autonomy (and not treating us only as a buffer zone unworthy to protect) - but we have no linguistic, cultural, historic or genetic connections to contemporary Russians. The Baltic countries share a bit of our linguistic history. Finns have gathered here from south, southeast and west since the last glacial period 10 000 years ago. We're a small but distinct people with a long-standing folk culture. There is an old Finnish proverb: "We are not Swedes, we do not want to become Russians, so let us be Finns".

Finland holds no special natural resources. We would not offer Russia access to new sea areas or any particularly valuable strategic observation points. We've served foreign occupiers tirelessly for centuries and built a safe and technically and economically advanced society since our independence in 1917. We have nothing more to offer than honesty, dignity and negotiation skills, pure nature and cared for woodlands, well kept, modest houses, functional infrastructure, beautiful lakes, a small and thriving society, a globally praised education system - and most important: a functioning and free democracy with human rights. The happiest people in the world - until now.

Older Finns remember how the Finnish Karelia looked and smelled like and how the houses, roads, parks and electric wires were kept before Russians took over. Now the same area, the Russian Karelian republic, looks and smells like shit. We remember how the Russians deprived us from minerals and seabed oil by taking our "right northern hand"; the Petsamo area, the only access Finns had to the Arctic Sea, in WW2 - not to mention the tiny Porkkala post-war "compulsory military rental area" (1944-1956) on the southern coast, which was held by Russians just long enough to have every seaside villa pretty much destroyed. The Russians even turned some houses into outhouses: they drilled a hole in the second floor and defecated downstairs. That's the essence of Russian people - at least the military, aggressive gang filled with manipulative thoughts and stimulants. I know that the Russians love their children, too. I don't have to hear that from Sting or read that on the front page of Pravda. The Russians are just collectively stupid: giving power to morons.

We all know who hates and fears democracy above all else. Please pray for us. If the hunt is still on when the war in Ukraine is finished, the wolves might turn their snouts to the north. 😔
There is no possible reply to such a deeply troubling and honest post like this, my heart is with you, but mostly with the people of Ukraine

There is nothing from today that gives anyone hope, but reported in the Uk (if I can find the link I will) some Russian soldiers were captured by The Ukrainian army. Their photos were published, they were very young, cold, hungry, poorly equipped and did not understand why they were fighting - and this was on day one. We know that parts of the Russian navy have been left unpaid recently and much of the armourment Putin has moved to the border is pretty obsolete.
The corrupt Russian billionaires have seen their whole financial model ripped from under them today, and the Generals are seeing their true strength exposed. With so many ordinary Russians on the streets tonight, Putin may have miscalculated, we all need to hope that the Russian military have the same attitude that the USA military had to Trump and to Ford - if he presses the button, that doesn't mean it will be connected to anything that matters.

Last edited:
Right now, it looks like EU countries are divided on whether or not to remove Russia from SWIFT, the so called "nuclear option" of financial sanctions. I hope the hesitant countries change their minds. I really believe that the only way to defeat Putin is to cripple the Russian economy.

The US has the least to lose in this war, and it is a war. But, it matters to me, and I hope it matters to most Americans. I understand there is someone in Mar-a-Lago who is loving it -- thinks it is genius. Hopefully, this will bring an end to his career in American politics.

CD

At some point on Thursday, a Russian warship approached Snake Island, in the Black Sea.

According to the purported audio exchange, the Russian officer says: "This is a military warship. This is a Russian military warship. I suggest you lay down your weapons and surrender to avoid bloodshed and needless casualties. Otherwise, you will be bombed."

The alleged response from a Ukrainian soldier: "Russian warship, go f*** yourself."

Courtesy CNN

CD

Right now, it looks like EU countries are divided on whether or not to remove Russia from SWIFT, the so called "nuclear option" of financial sanctions. I hope the hesitant countries change their minds. I really believe that the only way to defeat Putin is to cripple the Russian economy.

The US has the least to lose in this war, and it is a war. But, it matters to me, and I hope it matters to most Americans. I understand there is someone in Mar-a-Lago who is loving it -- thinks it is genius. Hopefully, this will bring an end to his career in American politics.

CD
That someone gets the award for dumbest speech of 2022 already, I heard him 🤣

Older Finns remember how the Finnish Karelia looked and smelled like and how the houses, roads, parks and electric wires were kept before Russians took over. Now the same area, the Russian Karelian republic, looks and smells like shit. We remember how the Russians deprived us from minerals and seabed oil by taking our "right northern hand"; the Petsamo area, the only access Finns had to the Arctic Sea, in WW2 - not to mention the tiny Porkkala post-war "compulsory military rental area" (1944-1956) on the southern coast, which was held by Russians just long enough to have every seaside villa pretty much destroyed. The Russians even turned some houses into outhouses: they drilled a hole on the second floor and defecated downstairs. That's the essence of Russian people - at least the military, aggressive gang filled with manipulative thoughts and stimulants. I know that the Russians love their children, too. I don't have to hear that from Sting or read that on the front page of Pravda. The Russians are just collectively stupid: giving power to morons.

I'm terribly sorry, it must be even worse for you to face this. I know all about the story you tell, I have a Finnish ex from the Karelian region. I can imagine your fear. I hope this gets resolved before anything like that can happen :hug:

There is no possible reply to such a deeply troubling and honest post like this, my heart is with you, but mostly with the people of Ukraine

There is nothing from today that gives anyone hope, but reported in the Uk (if I can find the link I will) some Russian soldiers were captured by The Ukrainian army. Their photos were published, they were very young, cold, hungry, poorly equipped and did not understand why they were fighting - and this was on day one. We know that parts of the Russian navy have been left unpaid recently and much of the armourment Putin has moved to the border is pretty obsolete.
The corrupt Russian billionaires have seen their whole financial model ripped from under them today, and the Generals are seeing their true strength exposed. With so many ordinary Russians on the streets tonight, Putin may have miscalculated, we all need to hope that the Russian military have the same attitude that the USA military had to Trump and to Ford - if he presses the button, that doesn't mean it will be connected to anything that matters.
They were not just captured, they actively surrendered says the news now. They hadn't been told they were going to attack civilians.
It gives some hope. If the Russian army turns against Putin, the tide could turn drastically.

After I gave myself a day off to feel terrible yesterday and took some anti anxiety meds for my PTSD I feel OK again now. I have donated money to a charity helping Ukranian refugees and I am focussing my hope on Russian soldiers defecting and turning the tide against Putin. I realise I might be grasping at straws, but I am letting myself do so because it's improved my mood a lot.
I better enjoy the life I have now as long as it lasts.

I wasn't keen on switching to induction but now I'm sold. I used my induction hob for the first yesterday and made a recipe that usually takes me abour an hour to cook in my old gas stove, took me just over 30 minutes 😱 Boiling water for tea wouldn't take me less than 20 minutes, I did it in just over 10 I think. I do love cooking but I'm excited about spending less time on the stove.

The situation is bleak and tense here in Europe, but my way of coping is to pretend there's nothing going on. Of course I know there's a war raging, but there's nothing I can do about it, it's outside of my control, so I'll try to more or less carry on with normal life, albeit with a dark cloud over my head. The joy of the new home feels muted, it's almost not here. Especially because I always wanted to buy a house so I could feel safe in life, and the latest events just erased that illusion of safety.
:hug:live! Enjoy your new home, have fun! Nothing can spite Putin more. I plan on living as well as I can as long as I can now!

Last edited:

I get choked up and anxious everytime I see the news about whats going on. Your post touched me deeply as well. So many people are watching this unfold in helpless horror. I wish that NATO countries would step up and help more. It's a tricky political situation. All we can do is hope for the best.
😔

I get choked up and anxious everytime I see the news about whats going on. Your post touched me deeply as well. So many people are watching this unfold in helpless horror. I wish that NATO countries would step up and help more. It's a tricky political situation. All we can do is hope for the best.
😔

I know what you are saying. If Ukraine was a NATO country, this wouldn't be happening. Putin's armed forces wouldn't last an hour against US and NATO forces. I would love to see the US air forces introduce Russian troops in the Ukraine to "Shock and Awe." They would be crapping thair pants and running home to their mommies. It is frustrating.

But on the other hand, Russia has nukes, and Putin is a clearly unstable man -- with nukes.

The Soviet Union collapsed from within. Our best hope is that Putin's regime will meet the same end. I watched an interview with retired General David Petraeus (also former CIA director), who said that there is a smoldering unrest in Russia, and Putin is pouring gasoline on it. I hope he is right.

CD

But on the other hand, Russia has nukes, and Putin is a clearly unstable man -- with nukes.

Being on another continent, I am sure it's easier to think Nato should do something. And honestly, I wish they could!
But Putin has made very clear that he will use nuclear weapons on Europe if he gets attacked by Nato forces. And while they might have him cornered fast, not fast enough for him to not push that button. He's clearly unstable, and he will do what he fancies.

We can only hope someone in Russia with the power to do something, tires of Putin. Or that their people rise up against him.

I know not doing something will probably only delay the inevitable, but there aren't any other options on the table.

Being on another continent, I am sure it's easier to think Nato should do something. And honestly, I wish they could!
But Putin has made very clear that he will use nuclear weapons on Europe if he gets attacked by Nato forces. And while they might have him cornered fast, not fast enough for him to not push that button. He's clearly unstable, and he will do what he fancies.

We can only hope someone in Russia with the power to do something, tires of Putin. Or that their people rise up against him.

I know not doing something will probably only delay the inevitable, but there aren't any other options on the table.
Yeah, that's what I meant about it being a tricky political situation. I was including the US, of course, in my NATO statement. I don't like saying or typing the words about the possibilities of what repercussions could happen if we were to intervene. Here we are, one of the biggest military powers in the world, sitting on our hands and just watching it happen. It's not like we haven't intervened before with non-NATO countries. But Russia is very powerful and their leader is obviously mentally unstable, so yeah.

An implosion and uprising from within Russia would be ideal and delusional Putin would be in disbelief.

Back
Top Bottom