Vacuum food sealers; Chamber or External. Which one would you prefer?

Yesterday, I vacuum sealed some Veggie Beef soup that I just made the other day. Put the bags inside the chamber, programmed the machine to vacuum seal them closed. After the machine did its job, I checked to make sure the seals were tightly closed & they ARE!! No air got inside the bags & they were tightly sealed to the point that no air was in the bags at all! Proof that the chamber units are the best way to go!!! No external sealer works better! So glad that I got this, mainly so that no liquid escapes the bags!! Next time that I want Veggie Beef & Barley Soup, i won't have to make it as much!! They are in the freezer now for long-term storage. :whistling:

Last edited:
Tbh (and I’m probaby on my own in this) I don‘t like sending that thick plastic out into the environment, doesn’t make me happy
Absolutely not on your own on that front, trust me.

The zip lock bags I use are all "home compostable". I now avoid plastic that claims '(bio)degradable' because it actually is a very misleading term and actually doesn't mean what are consumers we "think" of as biodegradable.

Degradable means something that breaks down, or rather breaks ‘up’. This means that degradable plastics break up into smaller plastics.

Plastic Bags. What’s The Difference Between Biodegradable, Compostable & Degradeable? Wholesome Hub

One of very many articles on the problem, and it is a worldwide issue and a very clever marketing ploy that everyone has fallen for sadly.

I can't find the UK article (vegan food and living magazines) that first made me aware of the difference but I now only use "soft plastics" that are home compostable.

I bought a set of 20 Sous Vide bags with a Vacuum Seal Pump. They seem to work really good in Vacuum sealing things!! Plus you can wash them, dry them & reuse them again, & again, & again!! As many times as you like!! They work just like the old ZipLok Vacuum Seal Pump!! You'll never have to throw them away, if you don't want to. :whistling:
Suus Vide Bags with Vacuum Seal Pump..jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely not on your own on that front, trust me.

The zip lock bags I use are all "home compostable". I now avoid plastic that claims '(bio)degradable' because it actually is a very misleading term and actually doesn't mean what are consumers we "think" of as biodegradable.

Plastic Bags. What’s The Difference Between Biodegradable, Compostable & Degradeable? Wholesome Hub

One of very many articles on the problem, and it is a worldwide issue and a very clever marketing ploy that everyone has fallen for sadly.

I can't find the UK article (vegan food and living magazines) that first made me aware of the difference but I now only use "soft plastics" that are home compostable.
SatNavSaysStraightOn, I once bought this piece of garbage some years ago. At the time, I thought that it would help solve the problem of not having a food vacuum sealer for foods stored in the freezer. Boy!! What a living nightmare THIS thing was!! First, after several uses, the thing stopped working right. It took 4 AA batteries to work, & I thought that the batteries were the problem. I kept having to go to the convenience store in my neighborhood for batteries because it had me thinking that the batteries were wearing out. Come to find out that it had a very serious design flaw!! The plastic piston had crapped out!! I ended up spending more money on the damn batteries than I did for the thing itself!! I was so heated & threw the thing in the trash with AUTHORITY!! Bought another one. Wouldn't work!! Tossed that one out also! Then I found out that because of the design flaw, they were all yanked from the store shelves. A massive recall was done on them, & that was the end of them!! Never looked back that way again!! I was never so glad to see those things go!! The manual pumps work much better that this sorry thing ever could!!!! Goes to show that you only get what you pay for!!!! :eek:

Reynolds hand-held Vacuum Sealer..jpg

Last edited:
That's been my reluctance on getting one.

You can't help what people might throw away. You can try to help, but it'll probably take you eons before you get to see any results. I'd much rather have a chamber vacuum sealer than any of those crappy external air suckers. And if any liquid gets sucked inside, then more than likely, the thing is gone & the motor is shot to hell. Trust me when I say that a chamber unit is well worth it's weight in gold!! Before I got one, I never thought that I'd be saying that!! :whistling:

It now comes with a gauge. Looks a bit taller, also!! I think Wevac is now begining to put gauges on all their chamber vacuum sealers! :whistling:
Wevac CV10 now with guage..jpg

It seems now, that the makers of the chamber vacuum sealers are introducing small chamber units!! Avid Armor has now come out with a small unit to compete with sales of my machine, the Wevac CV10!! About the same size. Looks a bit flatter & cute!!!! :whistling:
Avid Armor USV1 Small Chamber Vacuum Sealer..jpg

Back
Top Bottom