Recipe Wedding cake

Pete

Über Member
Local time
9:06 PM
Mod.Edit - moved from another thread.

Base Layer - Fruit cake
Ingredients
1 x 30cm x 7.5cm high round tin (hired from a local bakery for £3 for 3 days)
575g currants
1100g sultanas
1100g raisins
1800ml Port
100g mixed peel
1100g plain flour
2 tsp salt
1100g soft brown sugar
4 tbsp black treacle
1100g unsalted butter
20 egg
Zest of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 large orange

Method
  1. Two days before baking, put the fruit and peel in a large bowl and cover with the Port. Leave to soak for 48 hours.
  2. Heat up your oven to 120°C on a fan-assisted oven, or 140° on a regular oven (gas mark 1).
  3. Sift the dry ingredients (flour and salt) together in a large bowl.
  4. Cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about five minutes in a stand mixer).
  5. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each one. If the mix starts to curdle, add a teaspoon of flour with each egg.
  6. Fold in the dry ingredients (flour and salt).
  7. Add the soaked fruit and peel, treacle and lemon and orange zest.
  8. Tip: heat a metal spoon in boiling water before using it to measure out the treacle. The treacle will slide easily off the spoon.
  9. Pour the mixture into a lined cake tin. Wrap the outside of the tin with brown paper and tie. Cover the top of the cake with a double layer of greaseproof paper with a small hole cut out of the middle.
  10. Bake for 5 ½ hrs Gas Mk
Middle 9” layer x 2 - Chocolate fudge cake
Ingredients

400g SR Flour
2Tsp Bicarbonate of soda
250g cooking chocolate
200ml oil
200ml water
4 eggs
1tsp vanilla
810 g Carnation light condensed milk

Method.
  1. Melt chocolate
  2. Stir oil, water, vanilla and eggs into the condensed milk, then add half to the sifted SR flour. Stir until smooth then add remainder and stir.
  3. Bake at 180c, Gas Mk 4 for 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
  4. When cool, sandwich with Carnation ‘chocolate filling and topping’ and spread the rest up the sides.
Top layer 6” x 3 - Victoria sponge cake
Ingredients

338g/12oz butter or margarine, softened at room temperature
338g/12oz caster sugar
6 medium eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
338g/12oz self raising flour

Method
  • Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
  • Grease and line 2 x 18cm/7in cake tins with baking paper
  • Cream the butter and the sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy
  • Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, and stir in the vanilla extract.
  • Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, adding a little extra milk if necessary, to create a batter with a soft dropping consistency.
  • Divide the mixture between the cake tins and gently spread out with a spatula.
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
  • Well.. that's the recipes!
  • I made the fruit cake about 5 weeks in advance, and wrapped it up well and stored it in a cool cupboard in the spare bedroom.
The middle and top layers had to be made just a few days before the big occasion to remain fresh. As with Katherine (@Kake Lover), it's a worrying time, as until it's cut open and eaten, it's not certain that it'll be enjoyed!! :unsure:

IMG_2544.JPG

Base layer 12"

IMG_2541.JPG

Middle, chocolate fudge cake, two of. 9"

IMG_2542.JPG

Top layer Victoria sponge cake. Three of. 6"
IMG_2540.JPG

Ready to assemble.

The base layer was rubbed over with seedless blackcurrant jam, the chocolate fudge cake was coated with the Carnation choc filling, then a thick layer between the two cakes.
The Victoria sponge was covered in buttercream filling then the three layers of the cake had a fairly thick slavering of the same buttercream filling.

I had to be careful in case, when iced, all the fillings didn't sqidge down and make the cake look like an old saggy stocking :laugh: The icing a used was from a box, well several boxes actually... 'Dr Oetker Regal Ice, ready to roll'

I used 6" spills to make sure the layers stayed where I put them, and each main layer was separated with cake boards

The results?

cake.JPG

IMG_2584.JPG

Everyone seemed happy with the taste, with a few people asking if I did this for a living. 'No', said I.. 'I'm a truck driver' :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very impressive @Pete. I am not a great cake maker but I can turn out a good Victoria sponge. I wouldn't put myself on the spot for a wedding though. Really well done.

Thanks @jennyb My daughter asked if I would make it for her.. How could I refuse!!
It did take a lot of effort to plan and complete, though, but it was worth it.
I very much doubt I'll make another!

Back
Top Bottom