Weekly Menu (2024)

Nah! Huitlacoche is a fungus, closely related to mushrooms, I'd have to say, with a very funky flavour. Sal de Gusano is simply dried bugs, ground into oblivion, with salt added. Tastes of salt, not bugs.
You should try these with your cornflakes:
View attachment 110265
Thought that was what I said, that is was fungus like a mushroom?
I’d merrily give it all a go!
I have eaten bugs. Bit boring but a nice carrier for oil and salt mmmm salt 😆

Like apple butter, but made from pears:

View attachment 110263View attachment 110264

It’s thicker than applesauce, but not quite as thick as a jam, and is heavenly. Used as a spread on toast, among other things. Pear butter is quite similar.

We can also buy plum butter and pumpkin butter - same idea.
So theres no butter involved, it’s just a consistency thing?

I was thinking pears would make a nice cheese, not the dairy type, the quince cheese type for having with.. cheese.
Well that’s clear as mud isn’t it 😂

I don't doubt they'd love that stuff, can I get it devoured by Ocado?
There were 10 of us in a place called Coyoacan,close to the house where Frida Kahlo lived and painted. The town square is absolutely wonderful, surrounded by high-end restaurants, family restaurants, cantinas and bars. We all piled into a cantina, because my youngest son and his wife wanted to try some "authentic"Mexican food. First thing we ordered was a round of beers/tequilas, and the chapulines (grasshoppers) came with it. Then we did the "video dare" - everyone had to eat chapulines. My wife was almost the last and finally got to stick the insect in her mouth. "Doesn't taste of b****r all!" she exclaimed. :laugh: :laugh: And she was right. They're just crispy.
Had some great food there, mind you. And blue corn tortillas!
Chapulines, chile salt, limes Coyoacán 2.jpg
Chilaquiles con camarones.jpg
Salsa de maní. de habaneros, y de serranos.jpg

There were 10 of us in a place called Coyoacan,close to the house where Frida Kahlo lived and painted. The town square is absolutely wonderful, surrounded by high-end restaurants, family restaurants, cantinas and bars. We all piled into a cantina, because my youngest son and his wife wanted to try some "authentic"Mexican food. First thing we ordered was a round of beers/tequilas, and the chapulines (grasshoppers) came with it. Then we did the "video dare" - everyone had to eat chapulines. My wife was almost the last and finally got to stick the insect in her mouth. "Doesn't taste of b****r all!" she exclaimed. :laugh: :laugh: And she was right. They're just crispy.
Had some great food there, mind you. And blue corn tortillas!View attachment 110271View attachment 110272View attachment 110274
You’re making me hungry!! 😂

Two things coming up, both from WW recipes - turkey tacos and…I can’t believe I’m saying this…some pan-seared cod, mixed with cherry tomatoes and Kalamata olives.

If I do that, it’ll be the first time I’ve ever cooked fish in my house, apart from two batches of homemade fish-and-chips and frozen battered fish.

Two things coming up, both from WW recipes - turkey tacos and…I can’t believe I’m saying this…some pan-seared cod, mixed with cherry tomatoes and Kalamata olives.

If I do that, it’ll be the first time I’ve ever cooked fish in my house, apart from two batches of homemade fish-and-chips and frozen battered fish.
Don’t do it, step away from the pan before it’s too late! 😂

Came up with some dishes for the black truffles:

Cheese ravioli in Parmigiano rind broth with shaved truffles

Poached chicken with a truffle/cheese crust, with pearled barley risotto

Gnocchi with crab, with a seafood pan sauce and shaved truffles

Pasta with a browned butter and robiola cheese sauce, with shaved truffles

Truffled shrimp risotto

Carpaccio with grated truffle over lightly dressed arugula plus eggs cocotte with duxelles, garnished with grated truffle and soldiers.

Back
Top Bottom