Weight Loss Programs

I really do need to work beans into my diet more.
I recall you saying that you rarely used dried beans and that I was surprised by that. So - you really should. Interestingly beans vary a bit in calories. I think for example black eyed beans (or peas as they are sometimes known) are higher than red beans. So you might want to be a bit choosy about which beans you use. A black bean salad with some chilli, red peppers, red onion and tomatoes is delicious I think - and if you use a bit of the bean water from the can or cooking liquid and whisk in some vinegar, lime or lemon you have a very low cal dressing.

Last edited:
Didn't quite understand that. Were you allowed to eat those things or not?

No. Not allowed.

No grains, rice, potato or fruit. Except tomato & peppers (& avocado in small amounts)

The fruit thing sounds crazy but from an evolutionary viewpoint (and no I'm not a paleo convert) we would never have gotten to eat whatever fruit looked good, regardless of the season, 2-3 times a day so our body isn't really designed for all the fructose. Fruit spikes our insulin response.

The plan is very close to what diabetics are recommended - a small meal every 4 hours and no processed food or fruit.

Here's a review with all the rules

https://lifehealthhq.com/slow-carb-diet-food-list/

Last edited:
I found this when we did 4HB and I wish I had kept the link.

5EE33D87-DA7C-40A4-8829-9BFB66FE5D5C.jpeg

As you can see, a full 4 years or so have passed and it’s still on the fridge as I don’t want to lose it.

Last edited:
I found this when we did 4HB and I wish I had kept the link.

View attachment 15030

As you can see, a full 4 years or so have passed and it’s still on the fridge as I don’t want to lose it.

I think this deserves a new thread - beans and their calories and nutrients. I'm delighted to see that Fava beans (one of my favourites) rate lowest cals!

Although I've never followed a weight loss programme, I'm constantly watching weight. I get very depressed if I'm over weight. I'm good at simply not eating for most of the day although I taste little bits of what I'm cooking. Anyway, I do have quite a lot of tips and tricks for lower calorie foods.

One simple step is to replace dairy milk with almond milk - the low calorie no sugar added one which is 13 cals per 100ml as opposed to 64 cals in whole milk or 50 cals for semi skimmed. Its not that good in coffee and tea but on cereals I actually prefer it. It tastes much creamier than semi skimmed or skimmed milk. I also use it to make béchamel sauces, custard or to add to soups and stews too. The calorie savings can be really quite significant.

I understand that Weight Watchers, Slimming World etc.. .can help many to lose weight which is great for general health. We did try calorie counting but to be honest it didn't work for us. It was a time consuming chore. We both carry some weight, not a huge amount, but neither will be slim due to genetics, we just try to be sensible, watch what we eat and take exercise. We are all different so we all do what works best for us.

There is no doubt that for some people (a lot of people?) the problems start when they get older. I've never been particularly sporty so I don't think in my case its to do with lack of exercise but I found when I got to about 35 I started putting on weight. When younger I could just eat what I liked and I never thought about it and I was always medium to slim (not skinny). Now its a constant struggle to stay medium! I'm 5 ft 8 and a half and weigh 10 stone (140 pounds) on a good day. Mostly its not a good day and more like 10 and a half (147 pounds).

Last edited:
In the office there is a biscuit tin, I avoid, a supplier pops in every few months and brings doughnuts, I decline, the past couple of days chocolate eggs have been broken up and passed around, I decline. Yesterday my boss pointed out that I don't eat any of these things and asked is it because: I do not have a sweet tooth, watching my weight or health issues, I replied that it was all of the above. Thing is I do eat cake biscuits and chocolate just not every day.

Cheese, wine & carbs like good bread are my downfalls. I adore cheese on toast.

Thankfully I'm not at all tempted by cake, biscuits or chocolates. Thankfully because they are offered all the time everywhere. There's a large bowl of chocolates about a metre from my desk. It's my job to keep it full & buy more a couple of times a month.

Thankfully I'm not at all tempted by cake, biscuits or chocolates. Thankfully because they are offered all the time everywhere. There's a large bowl of chocolates about a metre from my desk. It's my job to keep it full & buy more a couple of times a month.

I can do without cheese but wine and carbs are my downfall too! Like you I'm not tempted by cakes, biscuits or chocolate.

After 1 week, I've lost 4 pounds. But, I think a lot of that is due to eating much more fruit and vegetables, which is helping with digestion. In other words, I don't believe that there are 4 pounds less of me now than there were a week ago. Still, the scale tells me that I weigh less than I have in at least 10 years, which is encouraging. And, I'm certain I can keep up the food intake going forward.

As a result of my weight loss, my daily target is now slightly less, from 26 points to 25 points. I'm sure this is all part of the plan to gradually get me to reduce my intake. But, I'm now only 3 pounds from my target, meaning I'm going to have to lower my target once again!

You will start to see more ultra light recipes from me. I plan to make an absurdly light chicken chili using chicken breast that I ground last night. And, yes, there will be beans: I've been meaning to get beans into my diet, and this is going to be a good entry point for that.

After 1 week, I've lost 4 pounds. But, I think a lot of that is due to eating much more fruit and vegetables, which is helping with digestion. In other words, I don't believe that there are 4 pounds less of me now than there were a week ago. Still, the scale tells me that I weigh less than I have in at least 10 years, which is encouraging. And, I'm certain I can keep up the food intake going forward.

As a result of my weight loss, my daily target is now slightly less, from 26 points to 25 points. I'm sure this is all part of the plan to gradually get me to reduce my intake. But, I'm now only 3 pounds from my target, meaning I'm going to have to lower my target once again!

You will start to see more ultra light recipes from me. I plan to make an absurdly light chicken chili using chicken breast that I ground last night. And, yes, there will be beans: I've been meaning to get beans into my diet, and this is going to be a good entry point for that.

Brilliant! How about the kids - have they lost weight too?

Forget all the formal programs...

Not as hard as you think......eat sensibly..drink in moderation (I do enjoy my glass of wine daily)

Control your portions and minimize snacking....if you do snack...do it with the right snacks....nuts...veggies with hummus...fruit

I have to watch my carbs and sugar so eat accordingly.

Cheese on toast :highfive: I love cheese and a glass of red, fresh crusty bread :thumbsup:

The downside to 'going on a diet' is that when target weight is reached it is easy to start slipping back into old ways and the weight goes right back on so maybe a lifestyle change would be better for some.

Back
Top Bottom