Weird Geography #5 - Duplicate Place Names

Shadow

Sommelier
Local time
6:44 PM
storrington; via montreal, horsham, toronto
Its been awhile since #4, partly due to indolence and partly due to being away, so time to rectify that.

There are many, many instances of names of well-known, world renowned, European cities, being used to name a new city in 'the new world'. (This usually means Oz, the US and Canada). e.g. Athens, London, Paris etc.

Do you know any that are the reverse? i.e. cities in the 'old world' named after 'new world' ones?

Of course, this thread would not exist if I did not know of one. Perhaps @sidevalve could provide some local colour to that gleaned from wikipedia (which spoiled my fun), as he lives near that part of the world.

Toronto, in the north-east of England in county Durham, is named after that large canadian megalopolis Toronto, ON.

The only one I can think of immediately off the top of my head is the state of New South Wales in Australia, literally named after the south of Wales.

But then I'm thinking New York might be named after York, in England? Or maybe I'm just being too obvious and literal...

I'm thinking New York might be named after York, in England?
Indeed it was. And it was New Amsterdam before that, if I recall correctly.
But this is another example of places named in the US after european places. The european name came first. I was wondering if there are other examples of places in europe, for example, being named after places in the US, for example, where the european name came second.

article-2603721-1A3AD54900000578-980_634x360.jpg

article-2603721-1A3AC9EE00000578-518_634x413.jpg

California in Norfolk, thought to be named in 1840s when some 16th century gold coins were found on the beach during the time of the California gold rush in America. I have actually been to this one!

article-2603721-1A3ACA2300000578-301_634x409.jpg

Originally built for local coal mine workers in the 1890s, the village of Bermuda was named for local landowner and former Governor of Bermuda Edward Newdegate

Quebec (County Durham). Quebec was a mining village and apparently named because the fields in the area were enclosed in 1759, the year General Wolfe captured Quebec from the French in Canada.

Quebec (County Durham). Quebec was a mining village and apparently named because the fields in the area were enclosed in 1759, the year General Wolfe captured Quebec from the French in Canada.
That's fantastic. I can now tell my canadian friends that toronto is less than 18km from quebec!
Am intrigued though, how do you know of this one?

That's fantastic. I can now tell my canadian friends that toronto is less than 18km from quebec!
Am intrigued though, how do you know of this one?

Internet of course. But I did know quite a few as I know the North East of England fairly well. There is also a New York in Tyne and Wear. And a Hollywood south of Birmingham (although its not likely that was named after the other Hollywood).
article-2603721-1A3AD22900000578-728_634x447.jpg

And of course Washington, Tyne and Wear. My friend Tony lived there at one time. And my partner comes from Sunderland. Hence the knowledge.

Internet of course. But I did know quite a few as I know the North East of England fairly well. There is also a New York in Tyne and Wear. And a Hollywood south of Birmingham (although its not likely that was named after the other Hollywood).
View attachment 1606
There's at least one Hollywood in Ireland.

Back
Top Bottom