What’s your favorite/most used phone app?

In my new garden I'm using PlantNet a lot. You take a photo (leaves, berries, flowers, etc.) and it identifies/suggests what the thing it.

Also Birdnet, which identifies bird song/calls. It identified the very loud Tawney Owl that screeched and hooted me awake last month.

Both these apps are free and I find them really useful.

I've got a star constellation identifier too but waiting for warmer nights.

I think that's it really. I don't do shopping on my phone.

My phone log says the last call I made was… 14 March, nearly 10 days ago.
Once a week I ring my mum at a set time each Sunday. Mostly my use is text messages (sms) because reception is crappy where I live. Officially I don't get cell coverage here but there is also no hard landline so if people want to get hold of me they have to send a text message which will get through more or less immediately. Then I can move to a set spot on the house where the phone signal is 'better' (aka just good enough to get a 3G signal). Provided I don't move, we'll be able to talk but forget video conferencing. Never happening and with the time lag on satellite broadband being so ooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long, anything that requires immediate interaction just doesn't happen so forget sykpe, forget zoom, forget VoIP and so on.

Strava gets used most days as well...

My wife uses one that is new to me. If she orders local food on-line, she can call up a map of the area which shows the progress of the motorcycle graphically. She can then go to the gate to meet the deliverer (or flag him/her down*).

*In our village when anyone builds a house or houses, the puyai baan (village head man) keeps a book in which he records house numbers. When the roof goes on, he/she issues the number which will be the next one on his/her list. My house number is 263 and I have no idea where 262 or 264 are situated. It makes life difficult for postmen, couriers and delivery motorcyclists.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Weather Channel app mostly, that and specialized apps for my work.

My wife uses one that is new to me. If she orders local food on-line, she can call up a map of the area which shows the progress of the motorcycle graphically. She can then go to the gate to meet the deliverer (or flag him/her down*).
Amazon does that, and I like it a lot.

Having thought about this, my most used is definitely the camera app. Otherwise bit of web searching - so google sometimes. I do use texting and obviously use the phone application. But otherwise I use my MacBook.

Last edited:
Having thought about this, my most used is definitely the camera app. Otherwise bit of web searching - so google sometimes. I do use texting and obviously use the phone application. But otherwise I use my MacBook.

I only use the browser on my iPhone when I have no other option -- like checking recipe ingredients when I'm at the store. I have two 27-inch iMacs and a MacBook Pro, why torture myself trying to browse on a phone?

CD

(reading through all the comments)

Yup, we all are ooooold. 😁🤣

I'll buck the trend. The most useful app is Google Maps. My favorites include My Fitness Pal (for calorie tracking), Map My Run (for jogging/working out), and Podcasts (which is my most used app). But I also really like Apple Music -- something I never thought I'd subscribe to, but I love it.

Back
Top Bottom