What 2 foodstuffs are you always running out of? Which item lasts the longest?

Oh yeah! Discovered something else that is always running out. I like making spicy food and more often than not throw in curry powder in the stews. Now that is something I am always running out of because of my obsession with it. My family members have become accustomed to it and will usually inquire if there is not enough in the food.

At the moment we always seem to be out of either almond milk or a variety of flour.

As for what lasts the longest, it is probably mixed ground allspice which I only use once a year when I make my Christmas cake.
I was gazing at my spice rack the other day and pondering that very spice, thinking 'why do I hardly ever use it'. I even went as far as removing the lid and sniffing it and trying to think how I could use it inventively. I'm now on the allspice trail and will report back shortly in a new thread.

Over here, it's not actually food stuff but a kitchen stock. The most consumed items in the cupboard are cooking oil and fish sauce which is locally called Patis. Obviously we fry regularly so the cooking oil and we also love flavors provided by the fish sauce. Most of our dishes are meat and fish which are usually fried and eaten with fish sauce as dip. We also have 3 dogs with food that are either boiled or fried - chicken and fish also like what we are eating. So there, that's our idiosyncrasy in food.

I need to restock often on chili flakes and lemon. The people in my house love putting chili flakes on almost anything they eat. We save those sachets that came in with the pizza for this purpose. Asian grocery stores are too expensive that is why I am searching for some ways to make my own and luckily some good people here were generous enough to share their tips. For the lemon, we drink lemon water everyday so that would explain it.

Bad as I know it is, I run out of honey more often than I should. But I love to use it on everything! The other thing would be tea. I drink unsweet tea, and boy, do I go through it! (I try to drink more to curb boredom snacking. Eep.)

I tend to run out of fruits and vegetables frequently. Since they don't last long, I buy them more often than other items. Of foods that last longer, I run out of eggs several times a month. I freeze bread, so usually have enough of that on hand, and I haven't been baking as much, due to the hot weather, so haven't been running out of milk, sugar and flour as much as usual.

Back
Top Bottom