What are you cooking on Christmas Day?

Chateaubriand....

Christmas chateaubriand 3 s.jpg

Almost dusk.

I'll upload mine at some point tomorrow. a Thai dish that actually had me sweating whilst I was reading it, such to the point that my husband started to dab the sweat off me with a tissue whilst I ate!

And he very kindly have the chooks a Christmas present; an ensuite!

I'll upload mine at some point tomorrow. a Thai dish that actually had me sweating whilst I was reading it, such to the point that my husband started to dab the sweat off me with a tissue whilst I ate!

And he very kindly have the chooks a Christmas present; an ensuite!
Which Thai dish...?

OK - I wouldn't have thought it would be very hot. But I haven't seen the recipe!
depends on the cook, depends on the serving temp and depends on the outside temp! it was hotter than normal with the chillies used and also I had doubled them because until yesterday they had not been very hot... plus it was +30C indoors whilst I was eating it!

I haven't decided on the starter yet, probably smoked salmon.

Fresh turkey from Tesco. Homemade stuffing. Pigs in blankets. Roast potatoes. Roast parsnips. Various other vegetables. Gravy. Bread sauce.

Mince pies and or Christmas pudding with custard, cream and or brandy butter.

Cheeses, fruit and or nuts.

Mr K will be serving appropriate drinks for each course.

Despite feeling absolutely lousy with a stinking sinusy cold, I did manage to serve a delicious turkey Christmas dinner. Well I couldn't taste it at all but the family enjoyed it. Miss K helped with the veg preparation and the gravy. We did have a lingering smell of burnt oven gloves! - I decided to warm up the onion and clove infused milk which was destined for the bread sauce, whilst checking the turkey. I absent mindedly turned on the wrong wring on the hob, I also absent mindedly left the oven gloves on the hob which I'd turned on by mistake. Due to my blocked nose I couldn't smell it burning and I just managed to see it as it was smoldering and about to ignite. We left lots of windows open and the back door while we opened presents, then I produced the emergency fabrise which helped.

We did have smoked salmon as a starter, we did have sprouts as well as brokeli and carrots. I was pleased with the bread sauce and homemade stuffing.
Looking forward to all the leftovers tomorrow.

I absent mindedly turned on the wrong wring on the hob, I also absent mindedly left the oven gloves on the hob which I'd turned on by mistake. Due to my blocked nose I couldn't smell it burning and I just managed to see it as it was smoldering and about to ignite.

I also set fire to things. I put a baking tray lined with baking paper on the hob. The idea was to heat up oil really hot and then add the potatoes (which then roast in the oven). Somehow, the paper caught fire setting off the smoke alarm. I just caught it in time!

I was wearing these when I set fire to them....

Now you would think that I would just nip down to the shop and buy another "pair". Well, I've been here many years and never seen anything similar (these were brought from Kuala Lumpur). My daughter, in her wisdom, tried to help and posted a single glove to me. What use is a single glove? So I now use the none burnt half of the dual glove together with the new single glove.

Now you would think that I would just nip down to the shop and buy another "pair". Well, I've been here many years and never seen anything similar (these were brought from Kuala Lumpur). My daughter, in her wisdom, tried to help and posted a single glove to me. What use is a single glove? So I now use the none burnt half of the dual glove together with the new single glove.

Needs must!
Luckily I had two single gloves in a cupboard which I am now using. I would prefer a double pair though. A lot of the ones that you see in the shops have quite thin pads in them. The ones that I ruined were a lovely thick pair in the traditional blue and white stripe cooks material. I have a matching apron too.
IMG_20161225_105727020.jpg

Needs must!
Luckily I had two single gloves in a cupboard which I am now using. I would prefer a double pair though. A lot of the ones that you see in the shops have quite thin pads in them. The ones that I ruined were a lovely thick pair in the traditional blue and white stripe cooks material. I have a matching apron too.
View attachment 4666
I've got some just like that.

I also absent mindedly left the oven gloves on the hob which I'd turned on by mistake. Due to my blocked nose I couldn't smell it burning and I just managed to see it as it was smoldering and about to ignite. We left lots of windows open and the back door while we opened presents, then I produced the emergency fabrise which helped
I did something similar once as a teenager whilst looking after my little brother and sister. I used to collect my sister from nursery across the way from my school. we'd play at the playground, then I'd push her home in the pushchair by about 5pm. collect the car (so I'd be 17 and in my lower 6th studying for 5 A levels) drive round to collect my little brother from the childminders and then cook evening meal for both of them....

I used to be very tired raising both of them and being in full time education... and that accounted a lot towards what happened. my other brother was home with me that day as well. he's a couple of years younger than I am.

so I was cooking my sister's evening meal on the old cooker we had where the symbols for the rings and wording used to get fogged over when cooking. I forget what went with the evening meal for them other than chicken... I know I hadn't used the chip pan which lived on the cooker, just pushed it to the back. I'm pretty certain I had grilled something like the chicken, and in my tiredness managed to turn on the ring with the chip pan on it, rather than turning off the grill.. I had them left the kitchen to bath them both...
Sometime later my brother came rising in telling me the kitchen was full of smoke... neither child was in the bath at the time, I forget where they were, but they must have been safe... (as date as they could be for what followed next).

instead of turning off the grill, I had managed to turn on the ring that the chip pan was on and turn it on full. it despite its lid was now smoking hot and on the point of catching fire. using the oven mitts and in typical teenage thinking, I carefully carried the chip pan out of the kitchen, into the hallway and down the front door steps to the cart parking space at the front of the house, where I had not parked the car. as I put it down, simultaneously my mother arrived home from work and it burst into flames! luckily my brother had thought to grab a handful of teatowels as I was getting it out of the house and put the wet towels over it extinguishing the fire almost immediately. our mother failed to notice :whistling: and only complained that the house was full of smoke, numerous smoke alarms were going off by now and the ring and grill on full!

my brother and I just stood there knowing what we had literally got away with... she still had no idea to this day how close we came...

I did something similar once as a teenager whilst looking after my little brother and sister. I used to collect my sister from nursery across the way from my school. we'd play at the playground, then I'd push her home in the pushchair by about 5pm. collect the car (so I'd be 17 and in my lower 6th studying for 5 A levels) drive round to collect my little brother from the childminders and then cook evening meal for both of them....

I used to be very tired raising both of them and being in full time education... and that accounted a lot towards what happened. my other brother was home with me that day as well. he's a couple of years younger than I am.

so I was cooking my sister's evening meal on the old cooker we had where the symbols for the rings and wording used to get fogged over when cooking. I forget what went with the evening meal for them other than chicken... I know I hadn't used the chip pan which lived on the cooker, just pushed it to the back. I'm pretty certain I had grilled something like the chicken, and in my tiredness managed to turn on the ring with the chip pan on it, rather than turning off the grill.. I had them left the kitchen to bath them both...
Sometime later my brother came rising in telling me the kitchen was full of smoke... neither child was in the bath at the time, I forget where they were, but they must have been safe... (as date as they could be for what followed next).

instead of turning off the grill, I had managed to turn on the ring that the chip pan was on and turn it on full. it despite its lid was now smoking hot and on the point of catching fire. using the oven mitts and in typical teenage thinking, I carefully carried the chip pan out of the kitchen, into the hallway and down the front door steps to the cart parking space at the front of the house, where I had not parked the car. as I put it down, simultaneously my mother arrived home from work and it burst into flames! luckily my brother had thought to grab a handful of teatowels as I was getting it out of the house and put the wet towels over it extinguishing the fire almost immediately. our mother failed to notice :whistling: and only complained that the house was full of smoke, numerous smoke alarms were going off by now and the ring and grill on full!

my brother and I just stood there knowing what we had literally got away with... she still had no idea to this day how close we came...

So easily done! We don't forget near misses though!
It's when we do something different to normal. I don't usaully put anything on the hob that shoudn't be there. Usually I put them on the floor when there isn't anywhere to leave the oven gloves but I don't want to go to the trouble of hanging them up because I am about to us them again. I didn't on that occasion because the sinus pain is worse when I look down or bend over.

Back
Top Bottom