What can you do with semolina?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:31 AM
Well...a lot more than you might think. In the UK many older people will remember lumpy semolina puddings at school dinners. They used to colour it pink in my school! But semolina is really a wonderfully versatile ingredient. Semolina (and cous cous) is the current CookingBites Recipe Challenge ingredient and we need entries! It would be just great if some of our newer members entered. :D So here are a few ideas to (hopefully) get you thinking:
  • Cakes and biscuits: substitute semolina for some of the flour for a crispy biscuit or in cakes for texture.
  • Flatbreads: add semolina to the dough for texture.
  • Batters: make a batter with semolina, eggs and flour for deep frying vegetables.
  • Make semolina porridge for breakfast by simmering with milk and adding berries or other toppings
  • Make gnocchi from semolina cooked with parmesan and then set and cut in cubes or rounds. In Italy they make Gnocchi alla Romana.
  • In India, semolina is used to make upma by adding fried green chillies, ginger and onions as a topping to cooked semolina. Tradtionally this is a breakfast dish.
  • Make a baked milk pudding and add flavourings such as rose water.
  • Use semolina to make home-made pasta.
Just a few ideas. I'm sure there are other possibilities. I hope you may be inspired to experiment and enter the Challenge.

Last edited:
Well...a lot more than you might think. In the UK many older people will remember lumpy semolina puddings at school dinners. They used to colour it pink in my school! But semolina is really a wonderfully versatile ingredient. Semolina (and cous cous) is the current CookingBites Recipe Challenge ingredient and we need entries! It would be just great if some of our newer members entered. :D So here are a few ideas to (hopefully) get you thinking:
  • Cakes and biscuits: substitute semolina for some of the flour for a crispy biscuit or in cakes for texture.
  • Flatbreads: add semolina to the dough for texture.
  • Batters: make a batter with semolina, eggs and flour for deep frying vegetables.
  • Make semolina porridge for breakfast by simmering with milk and adding berries or other toppings
  • Make gnocchi from semolina cooked with parmesan and then set and cut in cubes or rounds. In Italy they make Gnocchi alla Romana.
  • In India, semolina is used to make upma by adding fried green chillies, ginger and onions as a topping to cooked semolina. Tradtionally this is a breakfast dish.
  • Make a baked milk pudding and add flavourings such as rose water.
  • Use semolina to make home-made pasta.
Just a few ideas. I'm sure there are other possibilities. I hope you may be inspired to experiment and enter the Challenge.

Gnocchi alla Romana :okay:.. and also chocolate cake with semolina or cake Migliaccio from Napoli, both salty and sweet

Back
Top Bottom