What did you cook or eat today, (January 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first attempt with bulghur wheat. I've seasoned it with fresh basil, evoo, dried tomatoes and two cloves of garlic.
Bulghur wheat.jpg

My first attempt with bulghur wheat. I've seasoned it with fresh basil, evoo, dried tomatoes and two cloves of garlic.

That looks simply sensational. It appears that you're using a much better grade of bulghur than the 'instant' one that I grab when I'm hungry - and the rewards are obvious. Oddly, sun-dried tomatoes are quite hard to find here but I will search them out and try this combination.

We need more bulghur wheat recipes on this forum !

Welsh Currant Bread. A little disappointed as it didn't rise very well for the second proving in the tins. May have been a yeast problem.

It looks good to me @Wyshiepoo. I've found that at this time of year any under-proving is a result of cooler temperatures and too much impatience on my part to get the bread in the oven. I've yet to find a better place for the dough than next to my woodburner when I've got some willow or silver birch burning in the stove - these two woods burn quickly but they blast out some heat. And the bread rises very happily as a consequence.

Any chance of an overview of the recipe for the Welsh currant bread, please ? just a general idea? Merci d'avance...

I've yet to find a better place for the dough than next to my woodburner

Any chance of an overview of the recipe for the Welsh currant bread, please ? just a general idea? Merci d'avance...

Also did mine next to woodburner. Yes I will post recipe later.

It looks good to me @Wyshiepoo. I've found that at this time of year any under-proving is a result of cooler temperatures and too much impatience on my part to get the bread in the oven. I've yet to find a better place for the dough than next to my woodburner when I've got some willow or silver birch burning in the stove - these two woods burn quickly but they blast out some heat. And the bread rises very happily as a consequence.

From memory:

4 oz plain flour, teaspoon and half of sugar and yeast mixed into half pint of warm water. Leave for 20 minutes till frothy.

Rub 3 oz marge into 12 oz flour. Add 3 oz demerara, mixed spice, pound and a half of mixed peel, currants sultanas and raisins (in total, not each) beaten egg. Add yeast mixture knead and then set aside to prove in oiled poly bag till doubled in size. Knock back, halve dough and put into two greased 1lb loaf tins. Set aside to prove again until dough is about an inch over top of loaf tin. Bake at 160 to 180 for 45 mins to one hour.

Thanks @Wyshiepoo … I'm not sure that I can get all the ingredients here, but I can compensate with other things. I've got the principle of it anyway. I'll let you know how I get on.

It's good to have another Welsh recipe on the forum !

That looks simply sensational. It appears that you're using a much better grade of bulghur than the 'instant' one that I grab when I'm hungry - and the rewards are obvious. Oddly, sun-dried tomatoes are quite hard to find here but I will search them out and try this combination.

thank you.
I had never eaten the bulghur before today, really interesting and versatile. I think the combination I dared can be replaced with fresh tomatoes if you do not find the dried ones. I will treat the bulghur as I do with barley, or even with rice. Let's see what the fantasy (and the pantry) will suggest to me next time

We have an excellent recipe for oven dried tomatoes if you are interested. They don't totally dry and have to be frozen in portion sizes, but the upshot of that is you don't have to rehydrate. We make a huge batch when plum tomatoes are in season and are really cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom