What did you cook/eat today (April 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, @creative I found the post you are referring to here. It was originally from @Elawin and she is quoting a book by an Indian author. I do find it very odd. I mean a batter is a batter and there is no way you can roll out a batter!
He actually said a "slack, almost batter-like dough" which should be left for several hours. A lot of his bread recipes say that the dough should show some fermentation. Presumably it thickens up or dries out then. Although they are a lot thinner and a liquid, a lot of pancake batters get really quite thick when they are left to stand (unless they've got whey in them, in which case they are only fit for the bin then).

Last edited:
He actually said a "slack, almost batter-like dough" which should be left for several hours. A lot of his bread recipes say that the dough should show some fermentation. Presumably it thickens up or dries out then. Although they are a lot thinner and a liquid, a lot of pancake batters get really quite thick when they are left to stand (unless they've got whey in them, in which case they are only fit for the bin then).

Yes. Its a difficult one to judge though. Its just the word batter which immediately brings to mind a thick liquid. So almost batter like means almost a thick liquid. I don't think you can ever hope to roll out something that is like that. I'm sure he didn't actually mean what he said to be interpreted in that way. Sorry, I'm being pedantic. But I hate it when recipes go wrong! I suppose his use of the word dough is the point though. He may have been better to say slack soft dough.

The egg white is not something I would use - maybe that lightens them. I normally use a whole egg. Cheese would certainly help moistness. What are 'Italian style' breadcrumbs? Are they dried breadcrumbs?
Bread crumbs from Italian bread or bread crumbs with Italian seasoning.
Dried or not.

Yes. Its a difficult one to judge though. Its just the word batter which immediately brings to mind a thick liquid. So almost batter like means almost a thick liquid. I don't think you can ever hope to roll out something that is like that. I'm sure he didn't actually mean what he said to be interpreted in that way. Sorry, I'm being pedantic. But I hate it when recipes go wrong! I suppose his use of the word dough is the point though. He may have been better to say slack soft dough.
It must be reasonably thick, because he is next talking about rolling out the dough. Perhaps Indian dough is different to ours.....

It must be reasonably thick, because he is next talking about rolling out the dough. Perhaps Indian dough is different to ours.....
No it really isn't. Its just his words which could lead to misunderstanding on this occasion. I make parathas and chapatis and naan quite often. I think he knows what he is talking about but the words he used are apt to mislead someone who has never made parathas. Here is an excellent demo on how to make plan parathas from an Indian website. Its very similar to the way I make them.
http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/paratha-recipe-plain-paratha-recipe/

More cauliflower got used up for Monday night's dinner - fried onion and garlic, sautéed carrots and cauliflower, mixed with red pepper strips and lots of butter, all then steamed and served with spaetzle and a parsley and butter sauce made with the cooking liquid. Beautiful and sweet from all those veggies.

WP_20170403_21_18_27_Pro.jpg

No it really isn't. Its just his words which could lead to misunderstanding on this occasion. I make parathas and chapatis and naan quite often. I think he knows what he is talking about but the words he used are apt to mislead someone who has never made parathas. Here is an excellent demo on how to make plan parathas from an Indian website. Its very similar to the way I make them.
http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/paratha-recipe-plain-paratha-recipe/
My Indian cookbook has whole wheat flour, oil, salt and water.
It is a dough not a batter.

More cauliflower got used up for Monday night's dinner - fried onion and garlic, sautéed carrots and cauliflower, mixed with red pepper strips and lots of butter, all then steamed and served with spaetzle and a parsley and butter sauce made with the cooking liquid. Beautiful and sweet from all those veggies.

View attachment 6189

Take a hint guys! The Cauliflower Recipe Challenge has only 4 and a half days to go! Only a few entries so far. Where are all your recipes...?

Bread crumbs from Italian bread or bread crumbs with Italian seasoning.
Dried or not.

Actually, we almost always use store bought, dried and seasoned breadcrumbs (Progresso or 4C brand) but it's easy to make your own and put them up for future use.

1 cup stale white bread
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp sugar

Blitz the stale bread until crumbed, then mix in the rest of the ingredients.

Actually, we almost always use store bought, dried and seasoned breadcrumbs (Progresso or 4C brand) but it's easy to make your own and put them up for future use.

1 cup stale white bread
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp sugar

Blitz the stale bread until crumbed, then mix in the rest of the ingredients.
I never buy bread crumbs. Every few months I make a loaf of bread specifically to make bread crumbs then freeze them. Either plain or seasoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom