What did you cook or eat today (May 2024)?

Vegan brown rice sushi bowls - brown sushi rice topped with cucumber, radish, avocado, scallions, and tofu. I added a spicy mayo as well (not pictured).

For these, I use soft tofu that I coat in a cornstarch/cornmeal mixture and then shallow-fry in a little oil. It comes out crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside - one of the few ways my husband will eat tofu without complaining.
IMG_9176.jpeg

So today I had both sets of cooks (morning shift, evening shift) to torture. Morning shift made Chole (chickpeas), aloo ghobi (potatoes with cauliflower) and Mattar Paneer (Indian cheese with peas and cream). Evening shift made Butter chicken, Samosas and Tarka Dal. Guess which dish I considered most difficult to master?
tarka dal
Overall, the spicing was very good, which means my recipes are readable and practical. However, the tomatoes were cut too large in the Chole, so they masked the chickpeas. The cauliflower was too big in the second dish and the cheese was not uniformly browned (some parts white, others dark brown) so those are items to remember. The butter chicken was great, the samosas were too big (although the filling was to die for) and the Tarka Dal was "al dente"and a bit too salty.
I am, however, very impressed that 6 cooks (none of these girls has ever been to culinary school) nailed about 95% of the dishes spot on, despite their cooking a totally alien cuisine.
Tomorrow we continue making the same dishes on the menu and work on production,ie., how to get these dishes out in less than20 minutes.

My Lunch:
IMG_3902.JPG

Store bought Mini Quiches and some "baby" Carrots and diced Cucumber drowning in my favorite commercially made Ranch Dressing, AH YUM!!
My afternoon snack was nothing to write home about, 3 Cracker-Cut slices of Extra Sharp White Cheddar and 3 Town House dup Crackers.

And then my Supper:
IMG_3905.JPG

Grilled Salmon fillets as well Zucchini and Sweet White Onion with that ever present steamed White Rice, just a bit for Moi, since I'm keeping the carbs low.
Dessert later will be a Chocolate Protein Shake, which is delicious!

Apparently this is ‘Nordic Bacon’ it was quite a lump. Sliced it and fried it.
IMG_2718.jpeg

IMG_2723.jpeg

Asparagus which was headed to the bin if not eaten asap 😂
IMG_2726.jpeg

Cooked in smoked butter. A lazy ingredient well worth a mention for the Brits on here. It’s frozen dots of smoked butter with chilli and paprika. I find it a boon when I really can’t be bothered to make a hollandaise or a more complicated sauce.
Frozen section of Waitrose 👍
IMG_2719.jpeg

And finally the breakfast that turned in to lunch. Bacon slabs with smashed avocado on toast (bit of lemon and salt mixed in there) asparagus in a smoked chilli butter and poached eggs with a sprinkling of sumac.
IMG_2731.jpeg

Out for lunch since we had to go to Miami. I'll post the menu in that thread, what would you choose or something like that. They started with 1place and have expanded to 2 or 3, and have expanded the dining room of the location we visit.

We picked up a dozen glazed Krispy Kremes on the way home too.

Smashed burger for me with a side of fries. Craig got the Bourbon burger. Pic is of mine.

20240508_133109.jpg

Back
Top Bottom